Disgusting display of what is wrong with America.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 11:32:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Disgusting display of what is wrong with America.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Disgusting display of what is wrong with America.  (Read 6107 times)
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 24, 2011, 05:02:53 PM »

So what exactly do you plan on doing with the money you'll inherit from your parents then? Since the notion that the money belongs to someone, namely you in this case, would be offensive, would you care to redistribute it to the rest of the forum? I think we'd all agree to that. Or do you just plan on handing most of it to the government so they can redistribute it? I mean, seeing as the notion of that money belonging to you is so offensive I can't imagine you keeping as much of it as you can for yourself.

No, I will spend it on idleness and courtesans, thanks. 

So you'll spend it just as you please, just as this guy is spending his money as he pleases on whatever happens to amuse him? What exactly differentiates you from him?
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #51 on: August 24, 2011, 05:16:38 PM »

So what exactly do you plan on doing with the money you'll inherit from your parents then? Since the notion that the money belongs to someone, namely you in this case, would be offensive, would you care to redistribute it to the rest of the forum? I think we'd all agree to that. Or do you just plan on handing most of it to the government so they can redistribute it? I mean, seeing as the notion of that money belonging to you is so offensive I can't imagine you keeping as much of it as you can for yourself.

So you'll spend it just as you please, just as this guy is spending his money as he pleases on whatever happens to amuse him? What exactly differentiates you from him?

Opebo is a hypocrite, but you knew that already, didn't you? Smiley
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2011, 06:07:05 AM »

Of course, I just like pointing it out so I can feel smug and superior. Grin
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2011, 12:51:11 PM »

The concept of hypocrisy is an absurd one, sbane.  The idea is that it is matters what I do individually - of course nothing could be further from the truth.

As such, let me point out, Dibble, that nothing about denigrating someone constitutes a claim that one is different from him. 

What I said was, if you challenged readers can follow it was that the story represented something wrong with america, not with this man Facebook or whatever his name is.  What is 'wrong' is that he is allowed to have money, not what he does with it.  What he does with it is merely revealing, and what it reveals certainly does make one sick.

The specific project he uses his expropriated production to create - a libertarian fantasy - is particularly disturbing for what it reveals about the society:  that, generally speaking, people who are slaves and those who enslave them don't understand that slavery is what is occurring.  Instead they think it is 'freedom'!

It is rather like the difference between a good old fashioned whippin' cowing an uppity, and a brainwashing in which the poor fellow doesn't even realize he has been turned into an automaton.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2011, 02:46:56 PM »

The concept of hypocrisy is an absurd one, sbane.  The idea is that it is matters what I do individually - of course nothing could be further from the truth.

As such, let me point out, Dibble, that nothing about denigrating someone constitutes a claim that one is different from him.

So are you different or aren't you? Just so we're clear. And if you are the same, then why bother denigrating him? Isn't that to your own disadvantage?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #55 on: August 26, 2011, 05:07:41 AM »

The Onion weighs in:

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2011, 06:59:53 AM »

So, opebo, why exactly is this a display of what's "wrong" with America?

Because this guy has too much money and can waste it on this golden toilet bowl.

Society's resources, drawn by force from the hides of the poor, are always squandered on the frivolous whims of the rich

Agreed!  Thankfully, there have been a few cases in history in which the rich have been evicted from the property they've stolen from the underclass.  Here's one heartening example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFpfyO3lhyw
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #57 on: August 28, 2011, 11:35:17 AM »

...golden toilet bowl... the hides of the poor... the frivolous whims of the rich

Agreed!  Thankfully, there have been a few cases in history in which the rich have been evicted from the property they've stolen from the underclass.  Here's one heartening example:

That's a bit of a funny, Mordan, but lets keep it real - comparing Gaddafi to our real masters is like comparing the Bluebird Diner to McDonalds, or Sarkozy to Hitler.

The people who are killing Gaddafi through these sad minions are a million times worse than that colorful and heroic man.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2011, 05:06:58 PM »

...golden toilet bowl... the hides of the poor... the frivolous whims of the rich

That's a bit of a funny, Mordan, but lets keep it real - comparing Gaddafi to our real masters is like comparing the Bluebird Diner to McDonalds, or Sarkozy to Hitler.

The people who are killing Gaddafi through these sad minions are a million times worse than that colorful and heroic man.

Good point opebo.  I forget that when a rich makes ideologically correct moves like keeping Muslim protestors down in the way that Gaddafi has, that his spending the resources he's drawn "from the hides of the poor" on a "golden toilet bowl" no longer becomes offensive.  It is in fact encouraged!
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #59 on: August 28, 2011, 05:39:26 PM »

Good point opebo.  I forget that when a rich makes ideologically correct moves like keeping Muslim protestors down in the way that Gaddafi has, that his spending the resources he's drawn "from the hides of the poor" on a "golden toilet bowl" no longer becomes offensive.  It is in fact encouraged!

Gaddafi's acheivement is less about 'correctness' than style, but what he did in fact was to dislodge the imperialist from his country's resource - albeit very temporarily.  Had there not been a Gaddafi, the rich whites would have ransacked the oil, but for certain the poors would have had even less of it.  And we'll soon see Exxon and Mobile and Totale coming back, and the poors will get the same thing they've always gotten.  Except now they get to look at Facebooke.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #60 on: August 28, 2011, 10:23:33 PM »

Roll Eyes

Just Roll Eyes
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies