Looks like Reid has made his picks
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 25, 2024, 10:53:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Looks like Reid has made his picks
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Author Topic: Looks like Reid has made his picks  (Read 11444 times)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: August 12, 2011, 12:08:03 AM »

I hate to be "that guy" but did anyone notice anything about ALL the Republican picks?

Did you know that Pat Toomey is a member of the Congressional Hispanic Conference?

Probably not.

And your point is...

Before you answer.  Read this...

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Okay. Now answer.

Yeah, who needs ethnic identification when we can use outdated racial theories to categorize ourselves.

Anyway, Clyburn clearly wins the best tie award.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #76 on: August 12, 2011, 12:29:58 AM »

I love how this has nothing to do with what we're talking about. Classic Phil!

Yeah, I don't think Pat Toomey is a minority, therefore I'm the one in the ivory tower...

Sure it has to do with the discussion. You're doing your hand wringing routine, chastising the GOP for not having the proper amount of minorities/sarcastically saying that Toomey counts as a minority yet you probably have interacted with as many minorities in your entire life that have in one day.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #77 on: August 12, 2011, 12:43:51 AM »
« Edited: August 12, 2011, 01:06:21 AM by bgwah »

Yeah, I don't think Pat Toomey is a minority, therefore I'm the one in the ivory tower...

Sure it has to do with the discussion. You're doing your hand wringing routine, chastising the GOP for not having the proper amount of minorities/sarcastically saying that Toomey counts as a minority yet you probably have interacted with as many minorities in your entire life that have in one day.

When did I chastise the GOP for not having minorities? Let's see---I laughed at your assertion that Murray is only there because she's a woman, and then I laughed at Krazen's assertion that Pat Toomey is a minority, and then I pointed out how off-topic your previous reply was. Hmm, nope, never did what you claimed.

And another unrelated personal attack? "Classic Phil" is on fire!
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #78 on: August 12, 2011, 12:51:24 AM »

When did I chastise the GOP for not having minorities? Let's see---I laughed at your assertion that Murray is only there because she's a woman, and then I laughed at Krazen's assertion that Pat Toomey is a minority, and then I pointed out how off-topic your previous reply was. Hmm, nope, never did what you claimed.

And another unrelated personal attack? "Classic Phil" is on fire!

"Classic troll" wins this thread with a Photobucket image that exceeds bandwidth!
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #79 on: August 12, 2011, 01:21:06 AM »

Ok, so here's what I learned in this thread: Pat Toomey might be part Portuguese. I highly doubt it.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #80 on: August 12, 2011, 01:28:33 AM »

All I know is that when I look at Pat Toomey, I immediately think 'ethnic minority'.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #81 on: August 12, 2011, 01:33:34 AM »

All I know is that when I look at Pat Toomey, I immediately think 'ethnic minority'.

When I went to school in PA-15 we all used to call him White Chocolate.* 

He might not have a soul...but he got soul.**

*No we didn't.

**No he doesn't.

Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #82 on: August 12, 2011, 04:09:49 AM »

Actually, yeah, saying Patty Murray was chosen because she was a woman and disregarding that she's in a Senate leadership position and been a senator for 20 years is a straight-up case of sexism. Even if you think you're making a reverse discrimination point.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #83 on: August 12, 2011, 09:21:11 AM »

Actually, yeah, saying Patty Murray was chosen because she was a woman and disregarding that she's in a Senate leadership position and been a senator for 20 years is a straight-up case of sexism. Even if you think you're making a reverse discrimination point.

Being a Senator for twenty years necessarily makes one a good pick? She can have all of the leadership spots she wants and that still wouldn't necessarily make her a reasonable pick.

I'm not the one reducing her to a token member. The post earlier in the thread that said, "Hey, look which sides has the woman! And the black guy. Oh, there's a Hispanic, too. We win!" did that.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #84 on: August 12, 2011, 09:46:21 AM »

The CHC determines its own membership. Thankfully they aren't bound by your idiotic point of view.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #85 on: August 12, 2011, 03:26:18 PM »

My point of view is shared by 99% of Portuguese Americans and 100% of people in Portugal.  Are they idiots as well?

I don't swallow everything that Congress feeds me.  If a white guy who is AT MOST half Portuguese tells me he is Hispanic I have a right as an American tax payer to be incredulous.  I would tell him the same thing 99% of Portuguese Americans would tell him, "nice try." 

You can swallow whatever junk you want to swallow. That's your problem, as is your need for some sort of racial quota.

When posed that exact question in the 1980 and 1990 census, about 1 in 8 people of Portuguese descent answered 'yes'. It was only in the 2000 census when the question changed that such a number dropped.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #86 on: August 12, 2011, 06:38:12 PM »

My point of view is shared by 99% of Portuguese Americans and 100% of people in Portugal.  Are they idiots as well?

I don't swallow everything that Congress feeds me.  If a white guy who is AT MOST half Portuguese tells me he is Hispanic I have a right as an American tax payer to be incredulous.  I would tell him the same thing 99% of Portuguese Americans would tell him, "nice try." 

You can swallow whatever junk you want to swallow. That's your problem, as is your need for some sort of racial quota.

When posed that exact question in the 1980 and 1990 census, about 1 in 8 people of Portuguese descent answered 'yes'. It was only in the 2000 census when the question changed that such a number dropped.

So, a view only held by 87.5% of Portuguese (assuming every single one of the one in 8 didn't so answer because they had hispanic ancestry on their other parent's side).

Bottom line is the GOP trying to claim "ethnic diversity" because one of their 12 representatives may be half Portuguese kind of proves the original point of Roll Eyes.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #87 on: August 12, 2011, 07:20:17 PM »

Guys, Toomey isn't Portuguese. I can almost guarantee that he joined the caucus because he thinks it will allow him to better represent a rapidly growing group of people. And here's another important point: Republican leaders certainly aren't trying to claim that Toomey's membership in this caucus counts as ethnic diversity on their side.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #88 on: August 12, 2011, 08:32:28 PM »

So, a view only held by 87.5% of Portuguese (assuming every single one of the one in 8 didn't so answer because they had hispanic ancestry on their other parent's side).

Bottom line is the GOP trying to claim "ethnic diversity" because one of their 12 representatives may be half Portuguese kind of proves the original point of Roll Eyes.

When did they claim anything?

This is just some chump on the internet claiming 'HURRR all deez guys look the same to me!!!!'. He can do that while also adhering to the facts instead of just making up garbage.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #89 on: August 12, 2011, 08:35:23 PM »

Guys, Toomey isn't Portuguese. I can almost guarantee that he joined the caucus because he thinks it will allow him to better represent a rapidly growing group of people. And here's another important point: Republican leaders certainly aren't trying to claim that Toomey's membership in this caucus counts as ethnic diversity on their side.

http://www.hispanianews.com/archive/2003/11/14/03.htm

Toomey was a founding member of the caucus in 2003.

He was of course born in Rhode Island but is of Portuguese descent.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #90 on: August 12, 2011, 08:42:39 PM »

When did they claim anything?

This is just some chump on the internet claiming 'HURRR all deez guys look the same to me!!!!'. He can do that while also adhering to the facts instead of just making up garbage.

If you mean Republicans and their defenders, "they" did so repeatedly during the last two pages of this thread, as you did to a degree in your own post. Loosely translated: "Quit making up garbage about the GOP being a homogeneous bunch of white guys---Toomey's HALF-PORTUGUESE!!"
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #91 on: August 12, 2011, 08:47:52 PM »

I hate to be "that guy" but did anyone notice anything about ALL the Republican picks?

Did you know that Pat Toomey is a member of the Congressional Hispanic Conference?

Probably not.

And your point is...

Okay. Now answer.

Yeah, who needs ethnic identification when we can use outdated racial theories to categorize ourselves.

99% of Portuguese Americans do NOT identify themselves as Hispanic.  I guess the Republicans found the one half Portuguese (on his mother's side) white guy that was willing to use the moniker (for reasons we can only imagine) and use him as their token.  The fact that this is what passes for diversity in your caucus speaks volumes.

If you were to go to Portugal they would call this guy a white guy.  Trust me the Portuguese do not call themselves Hispanic.  But here in America Republicans would call him an underrepresented minority.

Rebuttal?

You assume I know that he's Portuguese instead of Hispanic. I didn't know that and I don't care. I was responding to your ridiculous fetishization of race.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #92 on: August 12, 2011, 08:48:46 PM »

If you mean Republicans and their defenders, "they" did so repeatedly during the last two pages of this thread, as you did to a degree in your own post. Loosely translated: "Quit making up garbage about the GOP being a homogeneous bunch of white guys---Toomey's HALF-PORTUGUESE!!"

I'm honored that you think of me as a Republican party spokesman.

That said, its really unnecessary of you to be making up anything. Most of us Republicans are relatively happy with our 6.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #93 on: August 12, 2011, 10:08:35 PM »

He was of course born in Rhode Island but is of Portuguese descent.

1) Why is the first half relevant? I know it isn't a common ethnic background there but I don't see the point.

2) Where is the proof?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #94 on: August 12, 2011, 11:19:35 PM »

Probably not.

And your point is...

Okay. Now answer.

99% of Portuguese Americans do NOT identify themselves as Hispanic.  I guess the Republicans found the one half Portuguese (on his mother's side) white guy that was willing to use the moniker (for reasons we can only imagine) and use him as their token.  The fact that this is what passes for diversity in your caucus speaks volumes.

If you were to go to Portugal they would call this guy a white guy.  Trust me the Portuguese do not call themselves Hispanic.  But here in America Republicans would call him an underrepresented minority.

Rebuttal?

Well, considering the Hispanic population is 5.7%, it is highly doubtful that it is for a "political" purpose.  Also, Toomey emphasized it or campaigned as an Hispanic.

I doubt if it was/is an issue.

He was known in Congress for his expertize in fiscal policy and for being president of the Club of Growth.

I do find it quite strange that some of the "liberal" Democrats have to focus on race/ethnicity of the members of the committee and not on their background and ideology.

Toomey, however, has been known for his involvement in bugeting
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #95 on: August 12, 2011, 11:53:24 PM »

I'm honored that you think of me as a Republican party spokesman.

I'm astonished you would think otherwise.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #96 on: August 12, 2011, 11:55:50 PM »

He was known in Congress for his expertize in fiscal policy and for being president of the Club of Growth.

If by "expertize" (sic) and "involvement" you mean single minded right wing extremism, then yes, that's Toomey's M.O.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #97 on: August 13, 2011, 12:07:24 AM »

If by "expertize" (sic) and "involvement" you mean single minded right wing extremism, then yes, that's Toomey's M.O.

Oh, come on. Notice how even the most partisan people here chose not to blast Toomey. The guy know's fiscal issues and he has come to be respected by both sides as a fair, sane Senator.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #98 on: August 13, 2011, 12:11:12 AM »

Oh, come on. Notice how even the most partisan people here chose not to blast Toomey. The guy know's fiscal issues and he has come to be respected by both sides as a fair, sane Senator.

Someone with a 97 ACU rating is sane? Santorum only had 88. Well, Toomey and Kirk don't seem to be paying much attention to the views of people in their states, and should go down in flames in 2016.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #99 on: August 13, 2011, 12:25:45 AM »

Toomey and Kirk don't seem to be paying much attention to the views of people in their states, and should go down in flames in 2016.

Yeah, I'm glad you speak for Pennsylvania, jfern. Too bad you missed the fact that Toomey has good approval ratings in the state, Pennsylvania tends to like their incumbents and he is easily one of the most stand out freshman (first year, no less!) members of the Senate in a long time. He's getting a ton of great press so please spare yourself the embarrassment and not forecast races a) five years in advance and b) when you're uninformed. Thanks!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies