Looks like Reid has made his picks
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 25, 2024, 03:42:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Looks like Reid has made his picks
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Author Topic: Looks like Reid has made his picks  (Read 11440 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2011, 08:31:46 PM »

wonder if Kerry is going to bring his 8mm camera to film his exploits, or show off his purple heart he got for getting some egg shell in his eye from eating a tuna salad sandwich

You've been watching too many episodes of M*A*S*H.  Go spend some time with your wife and tell her what you'd like to do with her hot lips.

I would never compare hot lips houlihan to my wife....and besides, I'm away from my wife during the week...why do you think I've been in a such a foul mood the last 5 months?  but being infracted and banned beats causing trouble around town and being thrown in jail.

You could always call her and listen to her hot lips.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2011, 08:47:02 PM »

his whole purpose in going to Vietnam was to promote his political aspirations.

Hardly the first person to want to fight in a war for personal political advantage.  It's a tradition that goes back to before there was a United States, and is still going on to this day.  Of course, those aspirations don't always pan out.  Just ask Capt. Mark Sanford of the Air Force Reserve.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2011, 09:02:50 PM »

Well, with Baucus, that means that at least 7 members of the commission support having the rich not pay a dime when they earn their money the old fashioned way, by inheriting it.  Horrible commission.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2011, 09:04:15 PM »

Baucus voted against the Bowles-Simpson plan from the left. Let's stop acting like he's some teabagger...
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #54 on: August 10, 2011, 09:07:39 PM »

Went to Wikipedia to check up on Baucus and welp:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Not to mention his steady donation stream from AHIP. I don't think I'm alone in liberal defeatism this time around.

Consider the dates of those votes, and note that Baucus faced reelection in 2002 and 2008 (and won't be up again until 2014). He has a tendency to be more conservative when he's about to face the Montana electorate.

I think the left's fear regarding Baucus's selection is mostly unwarranted, especially considering his outspoken hostility towards the Ryan plan. 

Baucus is right-wing even the year after an election, see his vote for the 2003 Medicare bill.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #55 on: August 11, 2011, 03:00:48 PM »

All the GOP women are either MODERATE RINOS LIBRULS or crazy ex-beauty queens, and obviously there aren't any minorities in the GOP caucus, so it's no unexpected.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #56 on: August 11, 2011, 03:24:33 PM »

I hate to be "that guy" but did anyone notice anything about ALL the Republican picks?

Yes, I notice that the above six has one of the most laughably token picks possible. Patty Murray? Can any of you seriously defend that one?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #57 on: August 11, 2011, 03:32:08 PM »

I hate to be "that guy" but did anyone notice anything about ALL the Republican picks?

Yes, I notice that the above six has one of the most laughably token picks possible. Patty Murray? Can any of you seriously defend that one?

And you accused me as sexist when I made fun of Huckabee's daughter. Roll Eyes
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #58 on: August 11, 2011, 03:33:39 PM »

Murray opposed the Bush tax cuts, which alone makes her more credible than the Republicans.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #59 on: August 11, 2011, 03:42:12 PM »

In case it hasn't been mentioned already, here are Pelosi's picks.

Reps. James Clyburn, Xavier Becerra and Chris Van Hollen

http://www.cnn.com/2011/POLITICS/08/11/debt.committee/index.html?eref=mrss_igoogle_cnn
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #60 on: August 11, 2011, 03:49:59 PM »

This is our Super-Committee on the budget for the next ten years?Huh??
What plan is going to get seven votes out of this committee?
And even if something did get out, could it pass both chambers?

So, now we're on our way to either the triggers or Congress overriding the triggers, resulting in a big, fat "0."

There were so many deals in the offing already!  There was Simpson-Bowles, Obama-Boehner, the Gang of Six, and after all that, we get this bunch???
Jesus.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2011, 04:04:05 PM »

What plan is going to get seven votes out of this committee?

One proposed by the Republicans that one of the Democrats will buckle to supporting.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #62 on: August 11, 2011, 04:14:20 PM »

I don't understand the intransigence in regards to raising revenue.  Its such a bizarre position to take.

I agree.  I think perhaps Upton and Portman might agree with that in principle too, but whether or not they'll vote for specifics is another question.

I think the only revenue-enhancing measure that could possibly make it out of this committee is one like Obama and Boehner had been dealing over, lowered rates and linked to chained CPI, or one that came out of the Gang of Six that recommended even lower rates, but both closing loopholes and ending deductions.  But somebody would have to be able to convince House Republicans that such a deal would not be a net tax increase on the upper brackets, and convince Democrats in the Senate that such an approach could really raise more revenue.  Selling both those lines at the same time to those groups of people is...well...not an easy sales pitch to make.  If they can't sell it, we are back to the triggers, and I'd bet some of the very little money I have that it would be easier to round up 2/3 of the House and Senate to override the triggers than it would be  for them to just allow the triggers to go into effect.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #63 on: August 11, 2011, 04:18:11 PM »

In case it hasn't been mentioned already, here are Pelosi's picks.

Reps. James Clyburn, Xavier Becerra and Chris Van Hollen

http://www.cnn.com/2011/POLITICS/08/11/debt.committee/index.html?eref=mrss_igoogle_cnn

It has been mentioned

Well fuck...
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #64 on: August 11, 2011, 04:27:23 PM »

Laughably token? From the guy who loved her opponent only because he had an Italian name?

krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #65 on: August 11, 2011, 05:22:19 PM »

Did you know that Pat Toomey is a member of the Congressional Hispanic Conference?

Probably not.
Iosif

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: -3.65

« Reply #66 on: August 11, 2011, 06:24:59 PM »

Republican gallantly standing against political correctness by only picking old white men.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #67 on: August 11, 2011, 06:29:40 PM »

Republican gallantly standing against political correctness by only picking old white men.

Uh, hello, Pat Toomey is a minority!!! Roll Eyes
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #68 on: August 11, 2011, 11:00:30 PM »

Laughably token? From the guy who loved her opponent only because he had an Italian name?

That's why I liked him? Ok, I guess that's a cute meme but it's also false. Thanks for playing.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #69 on: August 11, 2011, 11:02:18 PM »

And you accused me as sexist when I made fun of Huckabee's daughter. Roll Eyes

I'm sexist because I think Patty Murray is a joke? I think she was chosen because Reid felt the need to have a woman on the committee. I think she's a joke. That doesn't mean I don't want her on because she's a woman.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #70 on: August 11, 2011, 11:07:11 PM »

It must feel great sitting up in that ivory tower in all white, suburban Seattle.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #71 on: August 11, 2011, 11:11:09 PM »

The S&P should just downgrade us again now, instead of waiting for this thing to be the disaster that it was always going to be.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #72 on: August 11, 2011, 11:58:46 PM »

Murray opposed the Bush tax cuts, which alone makes her more credible than the Republicans.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #73 on: August 12, 2011, 12:01:57 AM »

It must feel great sitting up in that ivory tower in all white, suburban Seattle.

I love how this has nothing to do with what we're talking about. Classic Phil!

Yeah, I don't think Pat Toomey is a minority, therefore I'm the one in the ivory tower...

Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #74 on: August 12, 2011, 12:04:20 AM »

I love Bgwah's .gifs. I demand he include a .gif in every reply he makes from this point forward.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies