How possible is this electoral map?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 10:46:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  How possible is this electoral map?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: How possible is this electoral map next year?
Very possible

Somewhat possible

Unlikely but possible

Not possible at all

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 42

Author Topic: How possible is this electoral map?  (Read 3117 times)
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 09, 2011, 05:17:33 AM »

I created an electoral map in states where Obama's approval was no higher than the mid-40s, then added states to Obama that seem likely to break his way next year (Pennsylvania, New Mexico, Colorado, Iowa) then added them up to find a Republican victory with 272-266.

Also, do you think a map like this is possible with an Obama popular vote victory occurring despite a loss?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 05:19:28 AM »

Not only very possible, it is the most likely map, other than the same map with Nevada flipped, which is probably equally likely.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 05:23:31 AM »

I think that if Colorado goes to Obama, Nevada should do so as well.

The large and growing Hispanic share in these states should push the Democrat over the finish line.

Other than that your map looks reasonable, but maybe Virginia is now above the national average and could also vote for Obama again.

I voted "unlikely but possible".
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 05:53:29 AM »

The Obama campaign will do in Nevada what it did in 2008 -- flood Nevada with political volunteers and paid operatives  from California who then ensure that every imaginable Democratic voter, including many new Nevada residents (such as political volunteers and political operatives who used to live in California) goes out to vote. 
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 06:56:33 AM »

Very Possible,

But I'd flip NH though.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 07:08:20 AM »

At least it doesn't have MI going for the GOP. I don't care what the polls say, if Romney is the nominee they aren't going to vote for Mr. "Let Detroit Go Bankrupt."
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 07:19:21 AM »

At least it doesn't have MI going for the GOP. I don't care what the polls say, if Romney is the nominee they aren't going to vote for Mr. "Let Detroit Go Bankrupt."

Romney loses Ohio for the same reason, as Ohio depends heavily upon the auto industry, too.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 07:57:25 AM »

Romney loses Ohio for the same reason, as Ohio depends heavily upon the auto industry, too.

I don't believe it would have the same effect.
zorkpolitics
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 10:08:03 AM »

If the election is close this is a very reasonable map. 
But as Obama's failures and incompetence become clearer to all, I am now expecting a easy win for the GOP candidate: I expect CO, NH, IA, WI, PA to be in play, and if Obama's approval drops below 40%, MI, MN, NM, ME, and OR to become toss-ups.
DS0816
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 10:21:06 AM »

Won't happen.

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2011, 10:24:36 AM »

If the election is close this is a very reasonable map. 
But as Obama's failures and incompetence become clearer to all, I am now expecting a easy win for the GOP candidate

It is quite possible that the electorate will come to understand that the GOP caused the depression.
Devilman88

Political Matrix
E: 5.94, S: 2.61

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2011, 10:28:11 AM »

I think it is so funny that people still think the political map will still look like it was in the early  2000s. We are currently in the middle of a time where the map is changing. Where fast growing southern states are becoming more democratic and slow growing northern states are becoming more conservative.
Penelope
Scifiguy
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2011, 11:04:41 AM »

I think it is so funny that people still think the political map will still look like it was in the early  2000s. We are currently in the middle of a time where the map is changing. Where fast growing southern states are becoming more democratic and slow growing northern states are becoming more conservative.

I agree. If Obama loses, I could see him still winning Virginia, etc.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2011, 12:55:43 PM »

Ok, Devilman88 has a reasonable point, but to say it could lose while still winning the fast-growing less-Republican Southern States is just over the top:

Unless you didn't count Florida as a fast-growing less-Republican Southern state.. but even in that case it is a huge stress to imagine him winning VA and NC and losing.

Of course the reality is that all the change we keep talking about isn't really here yet.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2011, 01:31:17 PM »

If Obama loses MI, WI, etc., there's no way he wins VA or NC.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2011, 01:41:37 PM »

A candidate that can't win Colorado or New Mexico won't win Nevada.  I'd flip Nevada and New Hampshire.  This would be the Romney victory map.
Devilman88

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2011, 02:54:28 PM »

I think it is so funny that people still think the political map will still look like it was in the early  2000s. We are currently in the middle of a time where the map is changing. Where fast growing southern states are becoming more democratic and slow growing northern states are becoming more conservative.

Ok, Devilman88 has a reasonable point, but to say it could lose while still winning the fast-growing less-Republican Southern States is just over the top:

Unless you didn't count Florida as a fast-growing less-Republican Southern state.. but even in that case it is a huge stress to imagine him winning VA and NC and losing.

Of course the reality is that all the change we keep talking about isn't really here yet.

Change FL, WI and MI and that is how I think 2012 will look like in a 50/50 election.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2011, 03:14:54 PM »
« Edited: August 09, 2011, 03:36:43 PM by Snowstalker »

Obama won't lose Pennsylvania unless it isn't close.
Devilman88

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2011, 03:17:28 PM »

That is what you think. But that isn't what the trends and polling data are showing.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2011, 03:37:35 PM »

That is what you think. But that isn't what the trends and polling data are showing.

By the way, how are you trending, Josh?
Devilman88

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2011, 03:57:36 PM »

By the way, how are you trending, Josh?

Im doing good. I suppose that is what you are asking.
specific_name
generic_name
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2011, 04:10:45 PM »

This map is pretty close to what I get whenever I use evc, which is every few days or so... assuming a close pv. Nevada and Florida both have higher unemployment that the national average, so in a close race I would nudge them into the blue. However, I'm starting to think the race won't be close - my gut feeling is that it will be the most decisive result since the 80's. Though at the moment that doesn't seem possible.

As for the lean D Midwestern states going R, and the trending Hispanic/Yankee Southern states going D, I think we're a few years off from that type of flip in a close race. I could envision Obama winning most of his 08 states plus GA in a blowout. Or the reverse, loosing the Midwest entirely along with the South. The demographic flip will probably be pronounced by 2020.
Penelope
Scifiguy
United States

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2011, 04:41:43 PM »

This map is pretty close to what I get whenever I use evc, which is every few days or so... assuming a close pv. Nevada and Florida both have higher unemployment that the national average, so in a close race I would nudge them into the blue. However, I'm starting to think the race won't be close - my gut feeling is that it will be the most decisive result since the 80's. Though at the moment that doesn't seem possible.

As for the lean D Midwestern states going R, and the trending Hispanic/Yankee Southern states going D, I think we're a few years off from that type of flip in a close race. I could envision Obama winning most of his 08 states plus GA in a blowout. Or the reverse, loosing the Midwest entirely along with the South. The demographic flip will probably be pronounced by 2020.

If Obama has a blow-out he could probably pull off a win in AZ, ND, SD, MT, and MO.
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2011, 07:14:20 PM »

I think the original map is almost spot on....however, I wouldn't be surprised to see PA go Republican for the first time in ages....
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2011, 07:29:15 PM »

If Obama has a blow-out he could probably pull off a win in AZ, ND, SD, MT, and MO.

Eh, I'd put Georgia or even West Virginia before the Dakotas.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies