Opinion of "hipster Christianity" (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:48:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Opinion of "hipster Christianity" (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Opinion of "hipster Christianity"
Very Positive

Positive

Neutral

Negative

Very Negative

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 40

Author Topic: Opinion of "hipster Christianity"  (Read 3966 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« on: August 03, 2011, 11:59:33 PM »

This summarizes it pretty well and mentions two churches I've been to: http://www.inplainsite.org/html/hip_new_churches.html

Very Positive obviously.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 01:40:04 AM »
« Edited: August 04, 2011, 01:51:06 AM by We Neither Rise Nor Fall »

The new version of the "barefoot hippie clergyman with acoustic guitar playing Dylan-inspired sing-along hymns" church of yesteryear.  Why do people insist on merging in their religion and their hobbies into one thing?

Because sitting and pews and mindlessly reciting things led by people in robes listening to organ music and hymns is boring?

It was like I was telling jmfcst about Christian hardcore, if you're Christian and like hardcore, what's wrong with combining the two? I'd rather listen to this than this.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 11:53:20 PM »

Uh, why? You're saying that you're a Christian and yet have a "very negative" opinion of the way some people celebrate the same God and Jesus Christ, just because you disagree with their worship style or whatever and for rather superficial reasons? You do realize this is not too different from my attitude toward Catholicism that you and so many others (rightly) criticized me for for so long?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 12:14:57 AM »

It seems like a temporary solution.....like something you won't be going to in 5 years.  And I'm not talking to you as an individual, I'm talking about everyone that affiliates themselves with something called "hipster Christianity".

Well the article is from 2004. Those places are still around.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 09:23:22 PM »
« Edited: August 05, 2011, 09:30:04 PM by We Neither Rise Nor Fall »

It was like I was telling jmfcst about Christian hardcore, if you're Christian and like hardcore, what's wrong with combining the two? I'd rather listen to this than this.

hold on there, Spanky, I simply said I couldn't discern a word of it, and because of that fact it is impossible for me to say anything about it other than, "No comprende...What does he say?!"

What he says, as I have posted before:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Now note that if you look at the lyrics while listening to it, you actually CAN make what he's saying.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 09:32:23 PM »

jmfcst, just wondering, do you ever see someone at your church with any of the following:

-plugs
-many visible tattoos
-piercings anywhere beside the ear
-unnatural hair color
-wearing a hoodie
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2011, 11:10:44 AM »
« Edited: August 06, 2011, 11:25:58 AM by We Neither Rise Nor Fall »

I was thinking more of counter-culture types in general, but hipsters today definitely have tattoos and many have hair dyed unnatural colors (granted we're talking just like a streak or highlights usually) and maybe like a lip ring or tongue piercing (do your hookers ever have those? I think you'd like getting a blowjob from one who does.) The plugs and hoodies aren't a hipster thing but hardcore kids who live in the same areas and often go to the same places, like me (of course I don't have plugs.) This guy is a stereotype of the type of look I'm thinking of:

These types as well aren't "hipsters" per se but once again tend to live in the same areas and get associated with a lot of the same type of stuff:

When people think of PBR as a "hipster beer", they tend to be thinking more of this type instead.

Or to put it more simply, it's easier to simply use "hipster" as a shorthand for anything big in an underground youth subculture than explain the nuances and differences of all the subcultures involved hence the media ends up doing this rather frequently.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2011, 10:06:47 PM »

You're 27. If you're still doing the same thing at 37 then that will be very sad indeed.

I know plenty of people in their 30s who are still into this scene (hell probably about a third of the people with the look of the guy in the second pic are over 30.) Of course most are in the younger half of their 30s.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 08:45:23 PM »

No, it's more like they don't worship in pews at all (they'll sit in just chairs, or even couches), and will smoke pot AFTER the service.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2011, 09:02:32 PM »

We're not talking about actual church buildings here like with the stained glass windows and all that. Most likely it's some old warehouse they're renting out, or just temporarily renting a theater or coffeeshop or something. One of the Minneapolis churches mentioned in the article does meet in an old church building now, but they cleared out the pews and put in couches instead.

Mikado isn't entirely correct, my categorization refers more to youth subcultures, of which "hipster" is simply one, but is often used a catchall phrase for all. A photographic brief summary of the three main ones now:

Hipster:

Orgcore:

Hardcore:
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2023, 10:00:39 AM »

It seems like a temporary solution.....like something you won't be going to in 5 years.  And I'm not talking to you as an individual, I'm talking about everyone that affiliates themselves with something called "hipster Christianity".
Honest reaction more than ten years later:

I think this ended up being pretty accurate.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2023, 11:09:51 AM »

Honest reaction more than ten years later:

I think this ended up being pretty accurate.

Can you expound?
It's nowhere near as much of a big thing as it was ten years ago and I think it was attracting a lot of non-"churchlike" people then. But once the novelty wore off they didn't stick around. Frankly I might've only because the community was nice.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies