Thai politics by Andrew Spooner
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 03:15:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Thai politics by Andrew Spooner
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Thai politics by Andrew Spooner  (Read 1811 times)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2011, 08:25:21 AM »

It was the 'typical pensioner in Western Europe' bit that interested me, not any comparison to other ex-pats or to Thais. It's really only anywhere near close to true if you just look at exchange rates.

Oh. Well, that's certainly not true compared to Sweden. A Swedish pensioner has about 11 000-16 000 SEK a month (depending on age) which translates into about $1 750-$2 500, which is certainly not twice the rate of $2 000.

And, of course, $2 000 buys you a lot more in Thailand than in Sweden.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2011, 10:40:04 AM »

It was the 'typical pensioner in Western Europe' bit that interested me, not any comparison to other ex-pats or to Thais. It's really only anywhere near close to true if you just look at exchange rates.

Oh. Well, that's certainly not true compared to Sweden. A Swedish pensioner has about 11 000-16 000 SEK a month (depending on age) which translates into about $1 750-$2 500, which is certainly not twice the rate of $2 000.

Sorry, I was playing with litotes again Smiley
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2011, 12:23:27 PM »

Guys, I said I make about $1,400/month, and that the typical pensioner here has nearly twice that.  I can't speak for Europe, but I looked up on the Social Security web site that the average retirement benefit for a worker is $1,180/month.. given that we are speaking about male retirees here, it would probably be slightly higher given their higher incomes during working life.  Since these retirees come from a generation when there were still private pensions and generally better economic times, they usually have another $1,000-1,500 in other incomes, so something like double my income is not at all unusual, and in fact rather common for these elderly gentlemen. (of course the vast majority are in fact from Europe - primarily Britain, Germany, Netherlands, and Scandinavian countries, and to all appearances and anecdotes these people also receive reasonable pensions).
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2011, 12:48:39 PM »

It was the 'typical pensioner in Western Europe' bit that interested me, not any comparison to other ex-pats or to Thais.
I see the "here" is misplaced in that post, but I would still think it was very very clear from the context that ex-pat pensioners were meant. Huh
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2011, 01:59:32 PM »

It was the 'typical pensioner in Western Europe' bit that interested me, not any comparison to other ex-pats or to Thais.
I see the "here" is misplaced in that post, but I would still think it was very very clear from the context that ex-pat pensioners were meant. Huh

Oh, that might be what he meant (and, reading later posts in the thread that I couldn't be bothered with, it is what he meant), but it's certainly not very clear.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2011, 02:04:50 PM »

Meh, I read it as that anyhow. Tongue
Then again, English is not your native language.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies