Rubio and Kerry have a chat
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:13:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Rubio and Kerry have a chat
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Rubio and Kerry have a chat  (Read 2848 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 30, 2011, 04:00:53 PM »

Rubio speaks, Kerry listens, and then they chat. Whatever you think of Rubio, I have never seen anyone use voice intonation as effectively as he. He is able to project and channel his passion like a laser beam to cut to the chase of his central point with maximum effectiveness.  Most with his level of passion end up running off the tracks and ending up a train wreck, because they lack his iron discipline - and that is what it is - discipline - the discipline to focus. Every word carries its weight. I know the feeling. I have been there once or twice in closing argument at a trial. I will never forget that feeling.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 04:03:39 PM »

... do you need a tissue dude?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 04:05:36 PM »

Not at the moment. Do you Lief?  What do you think, Lief?  How do you think Rubio handled Kerry's query?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 04:07:27 PM »

Rubio is a wonderful speaker, I will give him that.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 04:08:22 PM »

Phil is in DC and has been watching the debate/debacle.  I wonder if he saw Rubio.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 04:10:37 PM »

I don't have 14 minutes to spend listening to this guy. I'm sure I'll be hearing him plenty when he's Vice President come January 2013.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2011, 04:20:59 PM »

I see why an orator like Torie is sporting wood........brilliant!
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2011, 04:23:55 PM »

It'd be nice if what he was saying wasn't such nonsensical drivel.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2011, 04:29:38 PM »

He sounds like Fred Savage.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2011, 04:36:48 PM »

Which part, the part where he said the President hasn't submitted a plan?  Ha!  Obama leaves all the proposals to Congress.
Iosif

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: -3.65

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2011, 04:37:47 PM »

Everything he said in the clip - every single talking point - I've heard regurgitated countless times on Hannity.

Sean also has better hair.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2011, 04:43:01 PM »

Rubio is another hypocritical joke.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2011, 04:55:10 PM »

I've always thought Rubio was actually a very mediocre public speaker (and a man who seemed to be of mediocre intelligence).  His cadence, not to mention subject matter, actually reminds me a lot of Dukakis.  I've thought Rubio's speaking came across as amateurish and inauthentic.

This isn't just bias.  I admit feeling the same way about Kirsten Gillibrand's speaking even though I much prefer her politics.  On the other end, I think Palin was a great natural public speaker in 2008 with the help of a teleprompter, even though I deplored her message.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2011, 04:56:56 PM »

Which part, the part where he said the President hasn't submitted a plan?  Ha!  Obama leaves all the proposals to Congress.

Gramps, any plan Obama submits will be summarily rejected by the Republicans simply because it's Obama's plan. They want him to fail on anything and everything. Given that reality, why would he bother sending something to them?
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2011, 04:58:48 PM »

Palin a natural public speaker? Come on. She spoke in a tone that's more suitable for kindergarteners. Especially when speaking about her opponents.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2011, 04:58:57 PM »

Which part, the part where he said the President hasn't submitted a plan?  Ha!  Obama leaves all the proposals to Congress.

Gramps, any plan Obama submits will be summarily rejected by the Republicans simply because it's Obama's plan. They want him to fail on anything and everything. Given that reality, why would he bother sending something to them?

He's the President, he's supposed to lead, he's supposed to send his plan to Congress and shove it up their arse if need be, even if they reject it.   Honestly, Meeker, you know I'm not an Obama hater....but he has shown NO leadership here.  Do you not remember how President 29% got everything he wanted?
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2011, 05:05:53 PM »

Which part, the part where he said the President hasn't submitted a plan?  Ha!  Obama leaves all the proposals to Congress.

He's the President, he's supposed to lead, he's supposed to send his plan to Congress and shove it up their arse if need be, even if they reject it.   Honestly, Meeker, you know I'm not an Obama hater....but he has shown NO leadership here.  Do you not remember how President 29% got everything he wanted?

Bush got what he wanted because he had a Congress that was willing to work with him (at least for the first six years). Being a leader doesn't work when the other side has decided that have no interest in even trying to help him lead. Obama's gets the best deal by having the Republicans propose a plan and then working it down into something slightly-less awful. Saying "He needs to be a leader!" sounds good in a Mr. Smith Goes to Washington type of way, but it's a complete non-start when dealing with Boehner and the Tea Party. They hate this President more than they love this country and they'll do whatever it takes to cause him defeat and embarrassment.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2011, 07:03:39 PM »

To paraphrase a line from my favorite stage musical, all I hear some hotshot talking BS.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2011, 07:13:11 PM »

Obama is following the Constitution.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2011, 07:51:02 PM »

Phil is in DC and has been watching the debate/debacle.  I wonder if he saw Rubio.

I was in the Senate gallery last night when they tabled the Boehner Plan. I went to the House gallery today. I'm about to leave for the Senate gallery in a little bit for the 1 AM vote.

In other words, I didn't see the Rubio moment mentioned here.  Tongue
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2011, 09:22:36 PM »

In a word:  WOW!!!

Rubio is absolutely right. 
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2011, 09:29:34 PM »

Rubio is a wonderful speaker, I will give him that.
A AMAZING speaker, especially in person. But everytime Rubio comes up, I have to bring this up. I met him once. He is very short, and very quiet. But as soon as he gets on that stage...WOW! Whole differant person. He gets you going, cheering, clapping.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2011, 10:53:39 AM »

Finally watched the exchange with Kerry.  As far as the substance of it, Kerry had 2 points.  Obama's opposition to raising the debt limit as a senator wasn't equivalent to the GOP's today because Democrats were grandstanding/not using real power to get leverage by threatening to actually drive the country deeper down when it's already reeling, as the GOP is doing.  Pretty undeniable and Rubio dodges the point as far as I can see.  Kerry also pointed out that the Republicans aren't willing to compromise and  Rubio used a house fire metaphor to defend their refusing to compromise as they threaten to tank the economy.  A better metaphor would have been if the homeowner set the house on fire himself, locked the door and refused to leave unlock it for his wife and kids unless his wife gave him a quick hummer.  Not sure Kerry could have said that though.

Rubio's delivery, seemed fine but nothing exceptional.  Comparable to Pawlenty maybe?
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -4.21

« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2011, 11:13:40 AM »
« Edited: July 31, 2011, 11:21:29 AM by The Vorlon »

... do you need a tissue dude?

Or maybe a tingle running up your leg?

I like Rubio, if only for taking out that POS Charlie Christ, but at least to my eyes he lacks the gravitas needed to truly move the ball forward politically.

I did think that yielding time to let senator swift boat ask his questions was quite classy and reflected well upon him.

will be a great vp choice in 2012 however.

The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -4.21

« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2011, 11:18:00 AM »

I don't have 14 minutes to spend listening to this guy. I'm sure I'll be hearing him plenty when he's Vice President come January 2013.

ok.... Since you can see the future..... Who will be the president?

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies