Gerrymandering Canada
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:58:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Gerrymandering Canada
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: Gerrymandering Canada  (Read 21024 times)
Novelty
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2011, 09:00:52 PM »

Would it be possible to gerrymander more Green seats?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2011, 09:10:25 PM »

New challenge: gerrymander Ottawa-Orleans to elect the Liberal.

I had to shore up Orleans with parts of what was Ottawa-Vanier, I hope you don't mind:

It's funny, I told my friend at work about what I was doing today (this), and he asked the same thing. I sincerely doubt it; although if you split up Saanich-Gulf Islands in such a way you could create 2 green seats... but I doubt it.
adma
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2011, 09:20:48 PM »

Though the problem with a lot of these "gerrymander" exercises is that they can take most-recent-results too much at face value:  Canada simply isn't like the States where the Blue/Red divide is so stiff and eternal.  Sure, there are places which may *seem* otherwise (the Sask urb/ru divides being a classic case in point); but things can shift and still can shift in weird ways, to the point where one can trip over oneself in fabricating apparently "Tory" or "Liberal" (or, I guess now, "NDP") ridings in the 905...
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2011, 09:26:22 PM »

No, the Greens won far too few polls.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2011, 10:39:48 PM »

Though the problem with a lot of these "gerrymander" exercises is that they can take most-recent-results too much at face value:  Canada simply isn't like the States where the Blue/Red divide is so stiff and eternal.  Sure, there are places which may *seem* otherwise (the Sask urb/ru divides being a classic case in point); but things can shift and still can shift in weird ways, to the point where one can trip over oneself in fabricating apparently "Tory" or "Liberal" (or, I guess now, "NDP") ridings in the 905...

Oh, I know. I think the point of this exercise is another way to analyze the election results Wink
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2011, 11:42:03 PM »

OK, here's 13 NDP seats in Toronto

Comments?
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2011, 12:04:11 AM »

The reason you are getting so many seats is you are not accounting for riding specifics.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2011, 12:23:33 AM »

The reason you are getting so many seats is you are not accounting for riding specifics.

what?
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2011, 12:44:36 AM »

Places like Rouge River voted NDP because of the local candidate. Unless you want to Somehow gerrymander that candidate, the NDP wont be winning both those ridings Tongue
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2011, 12:46:10 AM »

Places like Rouge River voted NDP because of the local candidate. Unless you want to Somehow gerrymander that candidate, the NDP wont be winning both those ridings Tongue

Oh, lol. Good point. The NDP could run 2 Tamils and get similar results. As I mentioned before, this is another fun way to analyze the election results.
adma
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2011, 06:52:07 AM »

And when it comes to Humber-High Park, the "Humber" (Etobicoke) part would probably work to cancel out any NDP tendencies...
lilTommy

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.04

« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2011, 07:44:17 AM »

Comments?

This is why i am so glad we do not let politicians gerrymander like in the US! TO looks ugly, Dufferin makes my eyes bleed... but it does remind me of the old city of Toronto ridings from the 30's, all long and stretched out along arteries:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Rosedale_-_1933.PNG

What if we try and gerrymander SW Ontario to get more NDP seats?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2011, 12:01:31 PM »
« Edited: July 22, 2011, 12:03:25 PM by Hatman »

Comments?

This is why i am so glad we do not let politicians gerrymander like in the US! TO looks ugly, Dufferin makes my eyes bleed... but it does remind me of the old city of Toronto ridings from the 30's, all long and stretched out along arteries:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Rosedale_-_1933.PNG

What if we try and gerrymander SW Ontario to get more NDP seats?

Dufferin is great, it allows all those NDP voters at York to have an NDP MP Wink

ETA: I could probably get another Windsor riding and another London riding and another Hamilton riding.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2011, 12:03:25 PM »

A very reasonable map, much better than the current one, and evidently not a gerrymander at all.

[/ducks, hides]
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2011, 12:06:26 PM »

Gerrymandering cannot work always, but you can gerrymander ridings to increase the odds of a certain party winning.  In the case of Guelph and Kingston & the Islands, the odds highly favour a Liberal win although a Tory and maybe even NDP under the right conditions are possible.  If the city was split into two ridings both extending into the rural areas, the odds would heavily favour a Conservative win but a Liberal win under the right conditions would still be possible.  Even in the US gerrymandering doesn't always work if the demographics of the Congressional district change enough to make it less favourable for a certain party.  The South is probably the easiest to gerrymander as voting patterns are based on heavily on race, otherwise African-Americans for the Democrats and Whites for the Republicans.  In Canada would don't have such racial polarization.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2011, 12:09:11 PM »

Gerrymandering cannot work always, but you can gerrymander ridings to increase the odds of a certain party winning.  In the case of Guelph and Kingston & the Islands, the odds highly favour a Liberal win although a Tory and maybe even NDP under the right conditions are possible.  If the city was split into two ridings both extending into the rural areas, the odds would heavily favour a Conservative win but a Liberal win under the right conditions would still be possible.  Even in the US gerrymandering doesn't always work if the demographics of the Congressional district change enough to make it less favourable for a certain party.  The South is probably the easiest to gerrymander as voting patterns are based on heavily on race, otherwise African-Americans for the Democrats and Whites for the Republicans.  In Canada would don't have such racial polarization.

Kingston and Guelph need only be split in half to get rid of their Liberal advantage
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2011, 12:54:44 PM »

Another problem is that your victories are narrow. Saskatchewan has each of it's 8 "central" ridings have the cities being huge proportion; the NDP should have an advantage, but they dropped.

In other words, you could argue that Saskatchewan was gerrymandered to be pro-NDP, and that the NDP has been unable to perform.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2011, 01:02:32 PM »

Another problem is that your victories are narrow. Saskatchewan has each of it's 8 "central" ridings have the cities being huge proportion; the NDP should have an advantage, but they dropped.

In other words, you could argue that Saskatchewan was gerrymandered to be pro-NDP, and that the NDP has been unable to perform.

Yes, I know. I would never advocate for these districts, obviously. Although chopping off Rosedale and adding it to Toronto-Danforth would probably benefit the NDP the most. Or creating a new riding that runs parallel to the Lake like DL suggested.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2011, 02:43:12 PM »

London, ON gerrymander to get 2 NDP seats.

I would do Windsor, but I would need a map of Essex County, and Krago hasn't made one yet.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2011, 03:35:01 PM »

Hamilton was easy to gerrymander 4 NDP ridings. I was hoping for a district that extended all the way to Brantford, but it was unnecessary. Perhaps gerrymandering a 5th NDP district would be possible.
DL
Canada

« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2011, 06:33:05 PM »

Dufferin is great, it allows all those NDP voters at York to have an NDP MP Wink

There is actually no reason for those NDP voters at York not to have an NDP MP even with the current boundaries for York West riding! York West is actually just about the poorest riding in Ontario and has a very large Black population. That area was a big provincial NDP stronghold from the 1950s to 1995! If the NDP actually targets that seat next time and spends the maximum and has a good candidate - it should be highly winnable. Judy Sgro the Liberal incumbent is not particularly formidable either.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2011, 06:41:13 PM »

How glorious it would be if Sgro were to be defeated, especially by an NDP candidate. Unfortunately, by the time the next election is called, I won't be living in the riding anymore. Sad
adma
« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2011, 08:25:40 PM »

Of course, things might resolve themselves on the NDP's Rathika-esque behalf should Sgro opt to retire instead--she's 66 years old, after all...
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2011, 08:41:16 PM »

http://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?authuser=0&ie=UTF8&hl=en&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=214668381355121949879.0004a8b289f2c3d734afe
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #49 on: July 22, 2011, 08:53:45 PM »

A couple of points. Firstly, and I was thinking of this relative to Hamilton, creating a fourth seat may push Niagara West - Glanbrook over and adversely (for the NDP) impact on Welland, so overall, actually create a net no change overall.

Secondly, and this is merely an expansion on Teddy's thoughts earlier, a gerrymander may make it harder for one party to win a majority, but if they win by a reasonable margin, their majority will be much bigger because the other party will win more seats on a thinner margin and have fewer safe seats. Those central Saskatchewan seats might theoretically favour the NDP in an average election (8-0, or 7-1) but if the NDP performs worse than average, those results flip the other way around. The fewer safe seats can then make it difficult for the "natural" governing party to rebuild following a poor electoral showing, with fewer choices for the front bench giving them less credibility as the alternative government.

At the risk of sounding clichéd, it's that whole "Chinese symbol for crisis being the symbols for opportunity and threat" thing... A gerrymander may make it easier for a party to retain government, but if they lose, they're more likely to lose big. It may make it slightly harder for the other party to form government, but when they do, they will probably have a bigger majority and thus make it harder for the other party to claw its way back and a stronger mandate to implement policy - potentially giving them greater legitimacy in the eyes of the voters and making it easier for that party to retain government once it has won.

In short, a gerrymander is in some respects self-balancing, and only beneficial to one party over the short-term, in the longer term it makes no difference.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies