Which of these border states do you consider part of the south?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 06:09:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Which of these border states do you consider part of the south?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which of these border states do you consider part of the south?
MD, DE, VA, WV, KY

MD, VA, WV,KY

VA,WV, KY

KY, VA

MD, DE, VA

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 45

Author Topic: Which of these border states do you consider part of the south?  (Read 2396 times)
Hitchabrut
republicanjew18

Political Matrix
E: 8.38, S: 7.49

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 12, 2004, 08:27:33 PM »

I consider VA, WV, and KY parts of the south, although I'd dispute NoVA, Western WV, and Parts of Northern KY.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2004, 08:43:47 PM »

Virginia, West Virginia, and Kentucky.

Southern Delaware is just farming, and is a weird area - the same goes for rural Maryland. Kentucky is DEFINITELY south. So is southern West Virginia. Northern is increasingly so.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2004, 08:56:11 PM »

Definitely not Maryland.

The two southern counties of Delaware are somewhat southern, but DE as a whole cannot be considered southern because the majority of the population lives in New Castle County, a suburb of Philadelphia.

VA is still southern despite the existence of NoVa.

Kentucky is pretty southern, but I wouldn't place WV as southern because it resembles the Rust Belt in some ways.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2004, 08:56:48 PM »

NOTA.  Oklahoma.
danwxman

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2004, 09:19:37 PM »

Believe me...rural MD is just as much the "South" as Alabama. Same with rural parts of South Central Pennsylvania. It's hard to define the South just by states.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2004, 11:10:50 PM »

Frederick, MD is definitely part of the South.  As are the regions east of Chesapeake Bay, I'd assume.  It's just that the Mighty Northeast has reached down I-95 to Alexandria and split the state in two.

??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2004, 01:34:22 AM »

Option 2.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2004, 01:54:43 AM »

KY and VA.  WV is getting there, but I'm not that ready to call it "Southern" just yet.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2004, 02:17:00 AM »

Believe me...rural MD is just as much the "South" as Alabama. Same with rural parts of South Central Pennsylvania.
South Central Pennsylvania was never much influenced by the South. It's just that Appalachia was at one point strongly influenced by Pennsylvania, and other parts of Pennsylvania have changed a lot since.
Option 1. MD and DE are former slave states with sizable rural Black populations. There couldn't be a better definition of what a Southern state is, if rural KY, WV and MO hadn't been abandoned by Blacks well-nigh entirely in the mid-20th century.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2004, 02:32:44 AM »

Believe me...rural MD is just as much the "South" as Alabama. Same with rural parts of South Central Pennsylvania.
South Central Pennsylvania was never much influenced by the South. It's just that Appalachia was at one point strongly influenced by Pennsylvania, and other parts of Pennsylvania have changed a lot since.
Option 1. MD and DE are former slave states with sizable rural Black populations. There couldn't be a better definition of what a Southern state is, if rural KY, WV and MO hadn't been abandoned by Blacks well-nigh entirely in the mid-20th century.

Thank you for recognizing that fact Lewis.
danwxman

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2004, 03:31:05 AM »

You'd be surprised how many confederate flags I see in some of the rural areas around here. I heard someone say that they saw more confederate flags in Perry county (a few miles north of here) then they ever saw in the South. Also remember, many of the towns (even Gettysburg) had a lot of Southern sympathizers during the Civil War.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2004, 03:38:09 AM »

You'd be surprised how many confederate flags I see in some of the rural areas around here. I heard someone say that they saw more confederate flags in Perry county (a few miles north of here) then they ever saw in the South. Also remember, many of the towns (even Gettysburg) had a lot of Southern sympathizers during the Civil War.
Not a contradiction. These 1860s people probably had lots of relatives down south. But it's those Southern relatives who had moved recently, not the Pennsylvanians.
Nowadays, people over there probably get told often enough that they are Alabamans that they've started believing it themselves.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies