Forum Community Guidelines (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:37:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Forum Community Guidelines (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Forum Community Guidelines  (Read 163407 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« on: July 14, 2011, 03:19:01 AM »
« edited: August 22, 2014, 03:37:29 AM by Bacon King »

OK, it's time we set down some guidelines in writing.

First - profanity.  The following swear words are not allowed:
- The c-word
- Both f-words
- The s-word
- The n-word

If you have any doubts about what any of those words might be, PM me.

Second - Excessive Hyperbole.  Enough referring to the mods as Nazis.  The Nazis were responsible for the deaths of countless people.  None of the mods have killed anybody.  Constructive criticism of the mods is fine, but if you're obnoxious about it, it's not gonna fly any more.

Third - Personal Attacks.  Don't attack other forum posters.

Fourth - Sexually Oriented Content.  We're not going to delete every post with the word "penis" in it.  But if you cross the line of common sense, of what's acceptable and what isn't, then it's going to get deleted.  Ultimately, this is the most subjective rule (the alternative is to ban all sexually oriented topics, which I'm sure isn't the wish of everybody as a whole), so if you have doubts, don't post it, or PM me first.

If you have any doubts about what you're about to post, don't post it, and PM me or Mikado first.  The "It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission" line won't fly here.

Everyone can consider this their official notification, and nobody should be claiming lack of knowledge for the rules of the board.

Rules on duplicate accounts and the discussion surrounding the new rule.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 02:38:43 AM »

I find restricting comparisons to Nazis more repugnant than the comparisons to Nazis themselves. But then again I love freedom and hate fascism, so maybe it's just me?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUYM4MoU63A#t=1m49s
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 02:11:13 PM »

There are rules to free speech everywhere...even in the real world.  But there is no such thing as a right to free speech on this forum...it's Dave's forum and his rules, and we are charged with interpreting those rules.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 02:22:06 PM »

However, we are not a government, and cannot cause crimes against humanity like a government can.  If we unjustly ban somebody, their life will still be ok.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 12:18:49 AM »

I've added this to the original post:

Fourth - Sexually Oriented Content.  We're not going to delete every post with the word "penis" in it.  But if you cross the line of common sense, of what's acceptable and what isn't, then it's going to get deleted.  Ultimately, this is the most subjective rule (the alternative is to ban all sexually oriented topics, which I'm sure isn't the wish of everybody as a whole), so if you have doubts, don't post it, or PM me first.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 02:09:05 PM »

Can all the "letter" threads be culled?

I'm opposed to that.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 03:23:29 AM »
« Edited: January 09, 2012, 03:09:50 AM by Assemblyman & Queen Mum Inks.LWC »

For those of you who weren't aware, jmfcst left and changed his password to random numbers and entered a fake e-mail address so he couldn't come back.  Recently, he came back under a new account.

On the Forum Community and Off Topic boards, such things will no longer be tolerated.  I warned of stuff like this when we allowed Mint to make a new account when he changed his political positions.

So here is a new rule that will apply to everyone from this point forward: If you start a new account for any reason other than you got accidentally locked out of your regular account (such as the e-mail address you use to reset your password is no longer valid), you will not be allowed to post on the Off Topic and Forum Community boards.

If you decide to quit the forum and come back, you must talk to Dave to get your old account restored before posting on these boards.  Failure to abide by this rule will result in 10 point infractions for each post you post on these boards (I removed all of jmfcst's posts without infraction since this rule is new).

I'm sorry, but it's a bad precedent for us to start allowing multiple accounts based on bi-polar attitudes of hate and addiction to this forum, and we are going to nip this in the bud now.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 03:26:09 AM »

The one exception to this rule is for jmfcst: if you have any questions, please state them in this thread.  After any questions you have on the policy are answered, this takes full effect.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 06:46:36 PM »

That was an agreement between you and Nym on him banning and unbanning your account.  You didn't go that route, and this is not a forum-wide policy.  Had you have gone that route, while I would've objected to the precedent that it would set, the headache there would be solely to Nym.

Under the way you're doing it now, the headache is to all mods, and sets an even worse precedent if we allow it.  Nothing that Nym said he'd do for you is being broken, since you didn't take him up on that offer.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 06:47:49 PM »

Only jmfcst gets this exception?  Sh**t.

OK, I guess to be fair, any future members would get the same exception, if they wish to ask questions.  But that would, again, be only applicable to this thread.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2012, 06:48:45 PM »

So what about Dale Cooper? Not that I'm calling for him to be banned or anything.

I don't remember the circumstances behind why he had a second account, but anybody before jmfcst's reincarnation is grandfathered in.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2012, 07:07:26 PM »

That was an agreement between you and Nym on him banning and unbanning your account.  You didn't go that route, and this is not a forum-wide policy.  Had you have gone that route, while I would've objected to the precedent that it would set, the headache there would be solely to Nym.

Under the way you're doing it now, the headache is to all mods, and sets an even worse precedent if we allow it.  Nothing that Nym said he'd do for you is being broken, since you didn't take him up on that offer.

what exactly is the headache I am causing you by creating a replacement account...did it cause you a couple hours of paperwork or something??!! also, I have sent a request to Dave to reset my email address on my old account

It opens itself up for abuse.  What if you do this every time you want to leave?  It clogs up server space to store info for dozens of accounts if you do that.  Even worse, it opens us up for spam attacks if we just take people on their word that they entered a "fake" password and let them leave and create new accounts.  Someone could have dozens of accounts and use that as a method of a spam attack, which would be a huge headache for us to clean up.  You are one person.  As a single person, there's no good reason you should have more than one account unless something accidental happens and you can't access your account by no fault of your own.

If Dave resets your old account, then you're welcome to post on the FC/OT forums from there, but I'm not going to tolerate duplicate accounts on the boards I moderate any more.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2012, 04:26:07 PM »

Inks, if Dave says that he prefers that he use the new account so long as he lets everyone knows and gives this his blessing, are you going to overturn this decision of yours?

Dave's rules trump all.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2012, 04:27:15 PM »

This is jmfcst's second duplicate account. Dave's policy was always to ban posters on the basis of having a duplicate account. I do not understand Inks/Nym's reasoning here of implimenting this now (and therefore allowing an exception to me made) when in fact it has always been the policy of the Forum.

To my knowledge, we've never enforced this upon people who only use one of their accounts and get rid of the other (like Mint).  If we ban jmfcst for this, we have to ban Mint as well.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2012, 09:04:27 PM »

Baseball has been removed now.  And when all the hubbub from this dies down, this thread will be merged with the general guidelines thread.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2012, 12:16:43 AM »

This is jmfcst's second duplicate account. Dave's policy was always to ban posters on the basis of having a duplicate account. I do not understand Inks/Nym's reasoning here of implimenting this now (and therefore allowing an exception to me made) when in fact it has always been the policy of the Forum.

To my knowledge, we've never enforced this upon people who only use one of their accounts and get rid of the other (like Mint).  If we ban jmfcst for this, we have to ban Mint as well.

This is close enough to the answer I was looking for.

Remember that I am a person who has had two accounts
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?action=profile;u=1518
Not only that, but my first account I was clearly a troll.

I've since grown up, or rather, am still growing. I uurge people to compare the first 10 pages of posts I've made on the atlas under this account to the most recent 10 to see the change over time.

I didn't realize you had two accounts before...
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2012, 02:03:30 AM »

I had forgotten myself for quite some time. I did however get express permission from Dave to do what I did, which is why I'm wondering if I'm allowed to continue posting here?

How did you get a U.S. IP address?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2012, 04:11:32 AM »

Well the IP address for the account you linked to isn't a Canadian IP address.  Not even a Canadian ISP.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2012, 05:30:59 AM »

None of the posts? I used to live in a different place.

Oh well, I don't care enough to go through it all... if you say you were a troll from 2005, I'll believe you.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2012, 02:51:34 AM »

Dave has been gracious enough to let me back in my old account...and he said he will delete the Boba Fett account soon.

So I trust you learned your lesson not to "quit" the forum.  Dave won't likely be so gracious again (to be honest, I'm surprised he took action here).
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2012, 02:52:03 AM »

What exactly are "Boo rules", and why do they suck?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2012, 04:45:09 AM »

So I trust you learned your lesson not to "quit" the forum.  Dave won't likely be so gracious again (to be honest, I'm surprised he took action here).

just want to publically point out that you weren't as welcoming upon my return as you led me to believe upon my departure:

There was no pat on the back…no smiley face…no warm hug from you…instead, I got nothing but a cold shoulder.

To be honest, I didn't believe you'd really left - merely that you claimed to.  I figured you had stashed the password with a friend or something in order to take a temporary break.  I figured you'd come back under your old account, not a new one.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2012, 10:57:14 AM »

It has Dave's policy that things said off-forum should not be posted onto the forum without the poster's permission.

Please remember that this applies to the IRC chat.  Like most rules, this isn't necessarily going to be a strict interpretation.  If someone posts a joke in the chat that you copy and paste here, I'm not going to infract it; however, if you post something that has negative conotations about a poster, that WILL be infracted, especially since you have no proof of who is posting in the IRC chat.

Thank you.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2012, 11:14:24 PM »

I was the first person to have my comments from it posted here, and I wasn't the slightest bit offended. I'm more offended at the thought of someone being infracted for quoting me there.

If you're giving blanket permission to have people post your quotes, they can (I believe we had a discussion similar to this with PMs).
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2012, 11:26:03 PM »

And like I said, I'm not gonna infract stuff if for instance you post something funny in the comedy Goldmine, as long as it won't have negative impacts on the poster and the author doesn't object.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies