Forum Community Guidelines
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:26:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Forum Community Guidelines
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]
Author Topic: Forum Community Guidelines  (Read 162849 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: November 03, 2017, 08:03:38 PM »

Good grief... did I actually infract on excessive hyperbole? I always hated that category... so subjective.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #151 on: December 07, 2017, 12:54:03 PM »

Good grief... did I actually infract on excessive hyperbole? I always hated that category... so subjective.

I don't think it's used much nowadays.

Anyway, wasn't an excessive hyperbole introduced primarily to deal with the likes of Libertas?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #152 on: December 08, 2017, 12:06:16 PM »

Anyway, wasn't an excessive hyperbole introduced primarily to deal with the likes of Libertas?

Here is the "excessive hyperbole" debate with Libertas thread, complete with participation by Dave himself:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=122436.0
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #153 on: December 08, 2017, 01:41:14 PM »

Here is the "excessive hyperbole" debate with Libertas thread, complete with participation by Dave himself:

You know what the funny thing is, reading Dave's first post in that thread, it's clear he is not nearly as libertarian in his moderation as the cave interprets. If Dave were a very active moderator on this site, all those petitions on The Atlas board would probably actually be taken into account:

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

I totally disagree - rhetoric is one thing, excessive hyperbole is exaggeration to the extreme.  I consider it inappropriate to exaggerate beyond reason another person's position - especially to the point of disrespecting the English language.

is about as bad as it gets... a statement as such is not only inaccurate, but shows utter ignorance for the meanings of the words "fascist" & "extremist", attenuates the true meaning of these words and deafens people to the vigilance they need to confront real threats of people that wish to institute extreme fascism (don't cry wolf).

Furthermore, lets make reasoned rhetoric and hold rational discussions - such statements as above only inflame and enrage, leading to passion instead of reason, making for poor judgement.

Thanks,
Dave

(yes excuse the quote time Tongue, I had to rebuild the quote from scratch since I can't actually click the quote button in that thread due to it being locked)

I could easily envision Dave reading that quoted post with passionate fury in front of a crowd of hundreds.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #154 on: December 08, 2017, 01:44:46 PM »

I really miss Joe Republic

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #155 on: December 08, 2017, 02:08:15 PM »

You know what the funny thing is, reading Dave's first post in that thread, it's clear he is not nearly as libertarian in his moderation as the cave interprets. If Dave were a very active moderator on this site, all those petitions on The Atlas board would probably actually be taken into account:

I totally disagree - rhetoric is one thing, excessive hyperbole is exaggeration to the extreme.  I consider it inappropriate to exaggerate beyond reason another person's position - especially to the point of disrespecting the English language.

is about as bad as it gets... a statement as such is not only inaccurate, but shows utter ignorance for the meanings of the words "fascist" & "extremist", attenuates the true meaning of these words and deafens people to the vigilance they need to confront real threats of people that wish to institute extreme fascism (don't cry wolf).

Furthermore, lets make reasoned rhetoric and hold rational discussions - such statements as above only inflame and enrage, leading to passion instead of reason, making for poor judgement.

Thanks,
Dave

(yes excuse the quote time Tongue, I had to rebuild the quote from scratch since I can't actually click the quote button in that thread due to it being locked)

Yes, Dave would be pretty ruthless in terms of what kinds of posts get moderated.  Not sure the same applies to the question of who gets banned though.  Although when he initially introduced the infraction point system, he suggested that anyone getting 20 moderated posts would be banned.  Imagine all the bans we'd have in that case.

I forget if it was this thread or another one where Lunar commented on how funny it was that Dave always ended things with "thanks, Dave", even when he was angry.  I think Lunar even imagined a hypothetical message like:

muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #156 on: December 30, 2017, 05:44:22 PM »

For the record, here is the policy on oversized signatures announced a few weeks ago on the Atlas board.

It's been three weeks since I solicited suggestions for size limits. Here is my proposal:

1. Signatures must fit within the screen of a tablet in landscape mode - I use an Ellipsis 10 so I'll use that to check signatures.

2. Based on that device, I find that the height must be less than a single image height of 640 at 72 dpi.

3. The width must not cause posting controls to go off screen without using the slide bar. Personally I think that should apply to posts as well since an overly wide image throws off the whole page of the thread.

4. An account warning will be given and a pm sent to the account when a modadmin has been made aware of an oversize signature.

5. Failure to reduce the signature within 24 hours may result in a muted account. This will block the account from posting more oversized signatures on threads.

6. If the signature is fixed on a muted account the owner of the account will have to contact the modadmin to unmute.

My desire is to begin using this by the end of the week. Please post any relevant questions or concerns.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #157 on: December 31, 2017, 08:33:42 AM »

There have been some questions about the use of personal messages (pm's) in posts. The Terms of Service are not completely clear, so after some moderator discussion we have come up with this policy based on what is in the Terms of Service.

The Terms of Service forbid posts which are invasive of a person's privacy. This is interpreted to include posting the contents of a pm without the consent of the sender. Moderators may share pm's specifically related to moderating duties in the Moderators Corner (aka the Cave). Users playing games on the Forum may give blanket consent to have pm's specifically related to the game posted on the Forum in threads related to the game. Even with the consent of the sender pm's may not be posted on the Forum if they would violate the Terms of Service by containing material which is "false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, adult material, or otherwise in violation of any International or United States Federal law".
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #158 on: October 09, 2019, 11:07:58 PM »

Considering the TOS explicitly disavows profane language... has there been a policy change? Because I’ve seen several profane words already today.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #159 on: October 11, 2019, 09:00:34 AM »

Considering the TOS explicitly disavows profane language... has there been a policy change? Because I’ve seen several profane words already today.

Have there been reports of such that were not moderated?
The Houstonian
alexk2796
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.87

« Reply #160 on: January 29, 2021, 12:50:17 AM »

F**k having to censor s**t and c**t. These words should be legalized.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #161 on: August 04, 2022, 01:09:31 AM »

what the
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #162 on: August 04, 2022, 01:09:44 AM »

F**k having to censor s**t and c**t. These words should be legalized.
So true
Kamala’s side hoe
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #163 on: June 16, 2023, 08:49:41 PM »

I'm shocked how bigoted and islamophobic people here are. I had no idea.

Aside from being very white and relatively upscale/bougie, the American Leipverse is also disproportionately LGBT and >2 generations removed from the immigration experience. LGBT-related USGD discussions generally attract the hottest heads.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #164 on: June 16, 2023, 09:23:52 PM »

I'm shocked how bigoted and islamophobic people here are. I had no idea.

Aside from being very white and relatively upscale/bougie, the American Leipverse is also disproportionately LGBT and >2 generations removed from the immigration experience. LGBT-related USGD discussions generally attract the hottest heads.
The mods should do something. I have messaged them, no response.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies