BREAKING: Hispanic will be a race on the census in 2030
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:51:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  BREAKING: Hispanic will be a race on the census in 2030
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: BREAKING: Hispanic will be a race on the census in 2030  (Read 219 times)
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: Today at 11:10:20 AM »

Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #1 on: Today at 11:16:33 AM »

Having a MENA designation is pretty cool too.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: Today at 12:00:19 PM »

The myth of "consensually" designating Hispanic as a race on the 2030 US Census

Gully Foyle: I consent
The White House Office of Management and Budget: I consent
BRTD: I don't

Isn't there someone you forgot to ask?
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:15:32 PM »

If we make sure Australians and New Zealanders identify themselves as AAPI, then our racial designations will almost perfectly match the DoD's combatant command divisions. Neat!
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #4 on: Today at 12:15:57 PM »

White/Italian.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: Today at 12:34:13 PM »

lol, lmao even
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #6 on: Today at 12:47:20 PM »

My first thought when I saw this thread title was “is it already April 1?” but nope, it’s still four days away, so I guess this news is true. LOL
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: Today at 01:00:39 PM »

This was supposed to happen in 2020 but then someone in the Trump admin said no. So I guess it will only happen if Biden wins (and even then, maybe a Democrat would have to win in 2028 too).
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #8 on: Today at 02:54:40 PM »

Should be Latinx
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #9 on: Today at 03:02:05 PM »

This was supposed to happen in 2020 but then someone in the Trump admin said no. So I guess it will only happen if Biden wins (and even then, maybe a Democrat would have to win in 2028 too).

Yeah, was about to say this. I suspect if we get a second Trump admin or some other Republican in 2028 this will be rolled back and a citizenship question will get tacked on.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: Today at 03:15:50 PM »

I am against this. MENA and Latino are cultural umbrella categories, not racial categories.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #11 on: Today at 03:19:36 PM »

BRTD in disarray.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #12 on: Today at 03:21:13 PM »

It doesn't say Latinx though.
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: Today at 03:27:38 PM »

I am against this. MENA and Latino are cultural umbrella categories, not racial categories.

What is the difference between a cultural umbrella category and a race? There's no scientific definition of race, and the most practical use of the Census racial data is to be able to ensure political representation is in line with the Voting Rights Act. And at least for that purpose, wouldn't having a bigger number of more specific racial categories be more useful than a smaller number of more general categories?
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: Today at 03:43:33 PM »

What is the difference between a cultural umbrella category and a race? There's no scientific definition of race, and the most practical use of the Census racial data is to be able to ensure political representation is in line with the Voting Rights Act. And at least for that purpose, wouldn't having a bigger number of more specific racial categories be more useful than a smaller number of more general categories?
A cultural umbrella categories are exactly what they sound like...large cultural demographics with similarities in various aspects. Race is different.  Various skin color demographics and ethnic groupings can coexist under the same cultural umbrella category and influence each other without becoming the same racially. Culture=/=race. I consider race to be the popular perception of categorized ethnicity. It's not 100% scientific but it doesn't have to be. Race/ethnicity at least is tangible and linked to blood, which history shows has been of considerable import. There's no need to deconstruct anything. I loathe the leftist idea of "deconstructing" this because its not, according to them, "scientific". It's not like they're actually any better actually adhering to it anyway.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: Today at 03:45:23 PM »

Good. The distinction between race/ethnicity is completely unnecessary and confusing.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #16 on: Today at 03:46:59 PM »

No because: 1-Gully Foyle was still wrong then, and 2-He's obviously going to be very unhappy about this considering that he was unhappy about this supposed non-thing at the time.
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: Today at 03:57:11 PM »

A cultural umbrella categories are exactly what they sound like...large cultural demographics with similarities in various aspects. Race is different.  Various skin color demographics and ethnic groupings can coexist under the same cultural umbrella category and influence each other without becoming the same racially. Culture=/=race. I consider race to be the popular perception of categorized ethnicity. It's not 100% scientific but it doesn't have to be. Race/ethnicity at least is tangible and linked to blood, which history shows has been of considerable import. There's no need to deconstruct anything. I loathe the leftist idea of "deconstructing" this because its not, according to them, "scientific". It's not like they're actually any better actually adhering to it anyway.

I agree with this, but I don't see why you would oppose labeling Hispanic and Middle Eastern as a racial category if you see it this way. Someone who is Arab and looks Arab will be popularly perceived differently than someone who looks East Asian, white European, or black. Their racial experience will be defined by their Middle Eastern background and they'll experience prejudices based on that background. But should they have to pick between white and Asian as their only options on the census? Why?
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: Today at 04:04:11 PM »
« Edited: Today at 04:10:28 PM by President Punxsutawney Phil »

A cultural umbrella categories are exactly what they sound like...large cultural demographics with similarities in various aspects. Race is different.  Various skin color demographics and ethnic groupings can coexist under the same cultural umbrella category and influence each other without becoming the same racially. Culture=/=race. I consider race to be the popular perception of categorized ethnicity. It's not 100% scientific but it doesn't have to be. Race/ethnicity at least is tangible and linked to blood, which history shows has been of considerable import. There's no need to deconstruct anything. I loathe the leftist idea of "deconstructing" this because its not, according to them, "scientific". It's not like they're actually any better actually adhering to it anyway.

I agree with this, but I don't see why you would oppose labeling Hispanic and Middle Eastern as a racial category if you see it this way. Someone who is Arab and looks Arab will be popularly perceived differently than someone who looks East Asian, white European, or black. Their racial experience will be defined by their Middle Eastern background and they'll experience prejudices based on that background. But should they have to pick between white and Asian as their only options on the census? Why?
Arab is not one race though. And most Arabs are in fact White. I like a separate box existing so that you could denote Arabness regardless of your race, that's a very good median option. I heartily endorse that. Latino and Arab are both cultural groupings that span across multiple racial/ethnic categories. So let a box exist to fit that.
I'm a White Arab. And I never asked for my identity to be "deconstructed". They don't care, they'll push for this anyway. To be honest, I'd rather have the GOP census form including a citizenship question over this, as much as I dislike the latter.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #19 on: Today at 05:05:15 PM »

Genuinely surprised it took this long.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #20 on: Today at 05:43:19 PM »
« Edited: Today at 05:48:27 PM by Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers »

Latinos, Arabs and Indians are Mongoloids and Asians, but you separate Asians from Latinos, that's why it's should be an Arab race which includes Latinos, Arabs and Indians and then Mongoloid race which includes Eskimo Indians all Oriental Groups that's the proper way you should make a census

There are really four races in the world eskino Indians Orientals, Arabs, which includes Latinx, Arabs and Indians and Caucasians and Blk

Orientals are the Eskimo Indians because they eat fish like Eskimo

Blks are descendants of Pharaohs and Whites are descendants of Hebrews and so are Asians too because they white Moses, Christ and Joshua ancestors
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies