Your memories of Elections
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:59:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Your memories of Elections
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Your memories of Elections  (Read 5426 times)
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 14, 2009, 10:22:21 PM »

The first election i took any interest in (in any country), was the 2004 US Presidential Election. I remember going to my great aunt's 80th Birthday Party on the Saturday before the election, October 30th. The next day on the way back from the place the party was, we stopped off for a meal on the motorway, and i asked my dad "So who do you want to win the election in America? I hope Bush loses." He replyed with "Yeah, but i'm not sure about the other guy, Kerry." Then at school on Monday, we were asked to write a fake newspaper article, and i wrote one with the headline "Bush wins Election" and i wrote stuff like "Some of the poorer states like Mississippi will support Kerry". This was because i had seen BBC News reports showing poor black people in that state, saying they wanted Bush out. Then the next morning i got up and the Electoral College count was "Bush 249, Kerry 242". Then, as i was getting ready to leave for school, Nevada was called for Bush, although i didn;t know it was Nevada at the time, as i didn't know many names of the US States, and i wasn't paying much attention anyway. Then, when i got to school, a couple of people said " Kerry was on 42, Bush was on 49". (Yeah, they got it wrong). Then i said "Kerry conceded 5 votes to Bush". Then, when my dad picked me up from school, i asked who had won, and he said "Kerry's conceded". I was pretty dissapointed, i guess it was because i saw Bush as the "boogey man". Then we went to my mum's cousin's, and she was moaning that Bush was still in.

In 2008, i didn't pay any attention to the campaign until about March, when i saw Hillary campaigning, and i thought it was interesting that a former First Lady was running for President, and then i saw Obama campaigning, and he came across as arrogant for some reason, so i supported Hillary. Then i really started following the campaign after i got internet access at home in April 2008. I supported Obama after he won the nomination.
Sasquatch

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -8.52

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 11:23:10 AM »

My memory of any election was either 1992 or 1996 (don't remember, but I remember my dad saying he was voting for Perot).

I remember the 2000 election starting from the conventions until the recount chaos.

I remember all of the 2004 & 2008 election with great clarity.

ej2mm15
electoraljew2
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 06:12:49 PM »

I watched the 2004 election for five minutes, and in febuary 2008, i became obsessesed with the election and all politics, than i ended up here.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 06:13:57 PM »

The first one I really followed was 1988 (I was 9 years old). I vaguely remember 1984 and 1986, but I wasn't too aware of the candidates or issues (though probably a lot more aware than the average 5 or 7 year old).
politicalchick20
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 03:15:13 PM »
« Edited: September 16, 2009, 03:16:54 PM by President of Political Chicks United »

1996 was the first year I was old enough to remember a presidential election (I was 7 years old-although, even though I was 3 in 1992, I have memories of things back then, just not of that year's election). My parents, being Democrats and from Arkansas, were 100% for Bill Clinton (which was passed on to me hook, line and sinker---you can argue that I was brainwashed lol). I remember our second-grade class getting to vote for who we wanted to be president, and Clinton won! hehe Smiley Nickelodeon had the Kids Pick the President thing where kids got to call and vote for their candidate, and Clinton won that too Smiley. It was certainly a better election for me to start with than 2000 or 2004 (which is the first one I REALLY paid attention to early on) would have been, and although it took time for me to truly become a political junkie, that's where I'm at today. Smiley
Deldem
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -7.74

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 08:11:48 PM »

2000 is the first election I somewhat remember. What I remember much better is my father ranting about how the Supreme Court robbed Gore a week later. In 2004 I was more knowledgeable, but was still pretty much formed around the principle of "Bush sucks." It was really 2006 that got me into politics- I was keeping track of all the competitive races, and was truly excited when the Dems were winning for the first time in memory. That's when I really became a junkie, and I've pretty much been the same way since.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 08:30:12 PM »

The first election I followed in any meaningful way (I was aware of various elections before then, but only in a pretty distant way - have, for example, clear memories of Bill Clinton being re-elected, but didn't follow the election. Was slightly interested though, a sign of things to come) was the 1997 General Election here. From then until 2002 I used to look for news of elections (anywhere) in newspapers. First election that I also followed using the internet was the 2002 federal election in Germany. After that...
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 03:58:31 AM »

I remember in 1992, in 2nd grade, we had a class vote for President and Bush won with like 80%.  I remember my parents wanting Bush to win the election and I too was hoping that he would.  I looked at the TV at around 8PM and saw that Bush led in the popular vote and assumed that he won and went to bed.  I was pretty dissapointed the next morning when my dad told me that Clinton won. 
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2009, 07:42:46 AM »

I remember the 1988 election, my dad was going crazy wishing that it wasnt Bush being the nominee and wanting someone more conservative.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2009, 07:57:36 AM »

I remember 1996 election pretty well, although this was not such covered in Polish TV as, naturally, in U.S. medias. I remember that they were talking something about New Hampshire primary and show one guy in silly hat campaigning and were saying, he's not cool. As you might guess, this was Pat Buchanan.

I remember my grandfather, who's rather a conservative, actually preffered Clinton, saying that Dole is a past
ChrisJG777
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -8.00

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2009, 03:52:08 PM »

I most do not remember the 1992 Presidential Election (I was only 1 at the time), my memories of '96 are also non-existent so the earliest US Presidential election I remember was the spectacle that took place in 2000, but even there it's somewhat hazy.  My memories of 2004 are a bit clearer but the only one I remember vividly is 2008.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2009, 05:01:03 PM »

1992. Classes's mock election was interesting.
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2009, 05:11:51 PM »

1992. Classes's mock election was interesting.

How did it go?
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2009, 05:32:19 PM »

I kind've remember the 1997 election (I was 3), or well I remember my Dad being extremely happy that Major was gone. I remember US '04 and wanting Kerry to win. I remember UK '05, waking up the morning after and watching GMTV before school as they went through the results. I was pleased that Labour held on if I remember correctly.
xavier110
United States
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2009, 05:50:00 PM »

I remember a lot of tension in my politically-split house during 2000.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2009, 12:30:16 PM »

The first election I specifically remember was 1996. We had a mock election in my grade school class. Dole won in a landslide. I didn't follow the returns or anything, but I remember I was driving home late that night with my dad and the radio said "As expected, President Clinton is reelected in a landslide over Bob Dole." I was pretty disappointed. 2000 was the first election I followed closely. My family was big McCain supporters but we voted Bush in the general. I remember getting into arguments with people in my 6th grade class. The recount process is what got me started on following the news daily. The rest is history.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2009, 03:48:01 PM »

1996 Mock Primaries we had at my elementary school.  I voted for Dick Lugar and Clinton won in a landslide. 
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2009, 03:51:07 PM »

1996 Mock Primaries we had at my elementary school.  I voted for Dick Lugar and Clinton won in a landslide. 

I wish UK school tried to get us as involved in politics as US schools try to.
tallguy23
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2009, 10:09:13 PM »

The first election that I have memories of was the 1996 election. My parents were rooting for Clinton and I went to bed hoping he would win. I woke up the next day and was happy to learn of his reelection. I also remember Dole making a comment about illegal aliens and thinking that he was calling all immigrants aliens HAHAHA. Oh the joys of youth
humder
Rookie

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2009, 05:57:59 PM »

I remember the post election madness after 2000 and even though I was only 9 I was so furious at Bush that I cried!

I remember also being disapointed after the 2004 election.

The 2008 election was the first that I followed closely and extremely closely I did! Was a much better memory than the previous elections Smiley
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2009, 06:20:20 PM »

I somewhat remember 2000, I remember voting in my school's mock election for Bush, as I was fascinated with the Presidents and liked Bush's personality. In 2004, I voted Bush in the election again, and he won narrowly. I remember the debate across class, (Boo! Kerry's gay! Bush sucks, etc.)

Last year, I voted McCain, but he lost heavily at my Middle School, losing almost 3-1.
LBJFan
Rookie
United States
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2009, 06:38:36 PM »

I was nine when in 2000, and remember the big controversy. My household endorsing Gore.

Then four years later, I remember being a Kerry fan. However, Bush won again.

Last year I followed closer than ever, though there is room for improvement, and I will follow even closer in 2012. I remember Obama's win, and it was a great memory for me.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2009, 06:39:48 PM »

The first election I took interest in was the 2006 midterms. I walked into the family room, and my father was watching the returns. I was fascinated by the partisan break up and such, though I didn't understand much of it.
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2015, 08:25:54 PM »

1976- I was a bit surprised when I woke up Wed morn and my mom told me Carter was the next President. Ford had won our 5th grade mock election in a landslide (I'm from MI).

1980- my mom being upset when state after state, esp MI, was called for Reagan. Years later I learned that Carter conceded at 8:30 PM ET; I never figured out why.

1984- the first election I voted in. Expecting Reagan to win but being surprised at the size of his victory. After all Mondale wasn't as radical as McGovern was he?

1988- proudly abstaining. Feeling indifferent at best about Bush's re-election.

1992, 1996 nothing memorable

2000- being surprised Gore won the PV; sympathizing with him during Fla recount even though I had voted for Bush.

2008, 2012- being surprised at the size of Obama's win; I had expected both to be closer.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies