New Mexico
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 02:43:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  New Mexico
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Is New Mexico...
A swing state

Lean/Likely Dem state

Safe Dem state

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 71

Author Topic: New Mexico  (Read 1956 times)
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 10, 2011, 11:40:46 AM »

On one hand, it was extremely close in 2000 and 2004; on the other hand, Obama won it by a massive margin in 2008. Still, McCain pretty much ignored the west to live in Pennsylvania, and I suppose the state could be competitive in a closer election (and/or with Susana Martinez). All in all, I'd call it a Lean D state which could easily become a swing state.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 12:55:54 PM »

On one hand, it was extremely close in 2000 and 2004; on the other hand, Obama won it by a massive margin in 2008. Still, McCain pretty much ignored the west to live in Pennsylvania, and I suppose the state could be competitive in a closer election (and/or with Susana Martinez). All in all, I'd call it a Lean D state which could easily become a swing state.

I'd say lean/likely D for now and I think it will go to Obama in 2012. Although it will be a closer result this time around.

sg0508
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 12:57:52 PM »

Nothing for the democrats to worry about, although it will be somewhat tighter this go around.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 12:58:19 PM »

Lean D.  But certainly winnable if a good GOP candidate emerges.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 03:28:15 PM »

It'll be close, but Obama will probably take it.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 03:32:36 PM »

Lean Democratic

The state could vote for Obama with over 60%, then again, it could comfortably vote for the GOP candidate. I think it comes down to (like almost every other state) the overall conditions on election day. I think the GOP candidate (assuming it isn't someone like Bachman) is very likely to make inroads in the state, and having a popular Republican Governor will certainly help.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 09:15:34 PM »

I think that you are right. President Obama maxed out in New Mexico. I just can't imagine him doing better in New Mexico or any other state that he won by a 9% or greater margin (basically DC, a Democratic gimme, any state that went for either Gore or Kerry, and Nevada. The interstate polarization that so marked the 2008 election is unlikely to be repeated, and I can see the President winning New Mexico with a 15% margin only if he wins the US popular vote with about a 15% margin (which would be 57.5% to 42.2%, which is about what Ronald Reagan did in 1984).

President Obama can hardly win re-election without winning New Mexico; without it he also loses every other state that Dubya ever won as well, and probably loses Pennsylvania and Wisconsin as well.  I have noticed a narrowing of approval ratings for the President, with him gaining in states that he lost and weakening in states that he won. Such may reflect a weakening of intrastate polarization. 
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 09:18:13 PM »

That may be one of your shortest posts. Tongue
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 05:16:07 PM »

Lean D.  But certainly winnable if a good GOP candidate emerges.

Especially if there's a Hispanic candidate on the ticket.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 06:26:45 PM »

Let's just put it this way- Republicans don't need New Mexico. Could they win it? Sure. In a big "change" election where they win places that vote the same as New Mexico does. Think the more moderate states in the Northeast and all of the Northwest.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2011, 06:30:30 PM »

Let's just put it this way- Republicans don't need New Mexico. Could they win it? Sure. In a big "change" election where they win places that vote the same as New Mexico does. Think the more moderate states in the Northeast and all of the Northwest.

This is a state that voted Republican in 2004 when NE and NW all voted 100% Democratic. 
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2011, 09:19:18 PM »

GOP doesnt need NM, should focus on states that are safe GOP or lean GOP.  Try to get back the Pacific Northwest (Oregon, Washington)
RJ
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2011, 09:42:42 PM »

I'm going to say New Mexico could become a Democratic stronghold similar to Illinois or California, especially if the GOP keeps pushing the Tea Party and its views on imigration.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2011, 09:46:58 PM »

GOP doesnt need NM, should focus on states that are safe GOP or lean GOP.  Try to get back the Pacific Northwest (Oregon, Washington)

Both of those in passed elections have always tempted Republicans yet deny any victory to them, and based upon recent polling both are solidly in the Obama camp despite the fact that the Pacific Northwest has suffered great economic hardship during his term. For instance, statistics on Oregon showing that it has one of the nation's highest unemployment rates, one of the fastest declines in average income, and one of the highest numbers of residents on food stamps/welfare due to a long term inability to find a job.

Anyways I digress, the Republicans and any GOP Presidential candidate would do better to focus on Nevada and Colorado instead.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2011, 09:53:44 PM »

Likely D. Obama should win it by about 10 or high single-digits, barring a Marteniz VP selection.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2011, 08:34:43 AM »

This is a state that voted Republican in 2004 when NE and NW all voted 100% Democratic. 

That was 2004.
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2011, 01:17:42 PM »

I'm going to say New Mexico could become a Democratic stronghold similar to Illinois or California, especially if the GOP keeps pushing the Tea Party and its views on imigration.

Agree on the effect of the immigration issue, but LOL on the idea of NM becoming a Democratic stronghold.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2011, 04:31:12 PM »

New Mexican voters can be easily swayed by theatrics and a charismatic candidate.  It will never be a stronghold anything, even if it votes 60% for one party for a decade, there's still a likely chance it's winnable for the other side.
RJ
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2011, 10:00:31 PM »

Agree on the effect of the immigration issue, but LOL on the idea of NM becoming a Democratic stronghold.

Laugh if you will, but I'll bet the GOP said the samr thing about California before 1992.

New Mexican voters can be easily swayed by theatrics and a charismatic candidate.  It will never be a stronghold anything, even if it votes 60% for one party for a decade, there's still a likely chance it's winnable for the other side.

Once again, I point to California. Let's face it---immigration and the tea party are here to stay. That accompanied with the hispanic population going no where but up equates to a real problem for Republicans in this state. I'm not saying it will be a Democratic stronghold but the evidence suggests it.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2011, 11:19:00 PM »

New Mexico, unlike California, Arizona, or Texas, has a majority native Hispanic population.  Immigrants are not their brothers nor an issue they care deeply about.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2011, 09:12:24 PM »

That's a good point but simply being a native-born may not nuetralize whatever race based politics or populism that exists and is making the trends what they are. Have you been to a majority-Hispanic community in New Mexico?
RJ
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2011, 10:36:17 PM »

New Mexico, unlike California, Arizona, or Texas, has a majority native Hispanic population.  Immigrants are not their brothers nor an issue they care deeply about.

It's those same native born hispanics that are so up in arms about Arizona's immigration policies.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2011, 10:40:51 PM »

That's a good point but simply being a native-born may not nuetralize whatever race based politics or populism that exists and is making the trends what they are. Have you been to a majority-Hispanic community in New Mexico?

Yes, I am Hispanic and currently live in a poor, largely Hispanic zip code here.  If the Republicans make it more about race than nationality, then they will lose hold of this state.  However, New Mexicans are willing to support a seriously tough immigration policy on Mexico if we keep Arizona profiling out of it.  Gov. Martinez ran with promise of one last fall and oppose Arizona's law at the same time.

It's those same native born hispanics that are so up in arms about Arizona's immigration policies.

Because it has heavy profiling aspects that effect non-Mexican citizens.  New Mexico will vote for a candidate who supports large walls, barbed wire, citizenship to attend public schools, and deportation of all illegals.  They won't vote for one who advocates officers asking for citizenship status on "suspicion" like Arizona.
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2011, 09:17:09 AM »

Have you been to a majority-Hispanic community in New Mexico?

Agree with what King said, but want to add:

This is pretty funny to ask -- just take a look at the demographics in NM.  I didn't until I moved out here 6 months ago -- the state is basically 45/45/10 white/Hispanic/Am. Indian.  There are places in NM that are 100% Hispanic and have ALWAYS BEEN.  There are few areas that have large white majorities, mostly the rural south and Santa Fe.  I live in a majority Hispanic CDP (North Valley): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Valley,_New_Mexico  Note the white/Hispanic self-ID totals add to ~130% of the population.  You can't go hardly anywhere in NM without passing through a majority-Hispanic community.
RJ
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2011, 09:22:20 PM »

Because it has heavy profiling aspects that effect non-Mexican citizens.  New Mexico will vote for a candidate who supports large walls, barbed wire, citizenship to attend public schools, and deportation of all illegals.  They won't vote for one who advocates officers asking for citizenship status on "suspicion" like Arizona.

All I'm saying is that if the GOP hard liners have their way with more legislation not neccessarily identical but similar to Arizona's, even if it's just espoused, it will cause this state to tip drastically. I don't think New Mexico is there yet, but given 4 of the last 5 elections and the state's demographics it leans Democrat and has 4 of its 5 members of Congress from that party. In a California and Illinois both went Republican every presidential year from 1968-1988 but haven't gone that way since and are now a lost cause. I think New Mexico could be heading the same direction.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies