The Brad Miller Thread (AKA Draw your own CD)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 04:28:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  The Brad Miller Thread (AKA Draw your own CD)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: The Brad Miller Thread (AKA Draw your own CD)  (Read 12624 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2011, 06:18:49 PM »
« edited: July 15, 2011, 06:21:27 PM by Nathan »

Can somebody draw a district for my mother, a Rush Holt-ish technocratic Democrat, who lives in Bordentown City, New Jersey and works in Trenton? She'd like a Mercer County-centred district that includes as many Democratic parts of northern Burlington County as can be shoved into it and goes up into Hunterdon (as opposed to Somerset/Middlesex/Monmouth) if that's not enough population. Basically, a Likely-D (CPVI preferably above 6 or 7 but she doesn't want an outright Dem pack) middle-Delaware River district. Both of us are also interested in seeing how a Republican pack in South Jersey would turn out.
Vazdul (Formerly Chairman of the Communist Party of Ontario)
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2011, 07:29:46 PM »

Can somebody draw a district for my mother, a Rush Holt-ish technocratic Democrat, who lives in Bordentown City, New Jersey and works in Trenton? She'd like a Mercer County-centred district that includes as many Democratic parts of northern Burlington County as can be shoved into it and goes up into Hunterdon (as opposed to Somerset/Middlesex/Monmouth) if that's not enough population. Basically, a Likely-D (CPVI preferably above 6 or 7 but she doesn't want an outright Dem pack) middle-Delaware River district. Both of us are also interested in seeing how a Republican pack in South Jersey would turn out.

Draw a district for a potential primary opponent? Never! Tongue

But seriously, I'll get right on it.
Vazdul (Formerly Chairman of the Communist Party of Ontario)
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2011, 07:43:15 PM »

You're looking at something like this.

64.3% Obama, 59.3% Democratic average. If that's too Democratic, we can exchange everything along the river south of Burlington Township for swingier areas like Marlton and Medford, or Lower Hunterdon if she'd prefer.

Of course, that's in a vacuum. If we're to accomodate your mother along with the rest of the New Jerseyans who already made claims, she's going to have to go into Camden and Gloucester instead, as I live in Mercer. I'll give up Trenton, but no more.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2011, 08:25:48 PM »

I think she might prefer to lose some stuff south of Rancocas Creek and gain a bit in lower Hunterdon. If we're drawing her district along with yours and everybody else's, drawing her out lower along the river, basically just from Trenton on down, should be fine. She'd prefer some of the Princeton area but as long as it has Trenton/Bordentown/maybe Lawrenceville, which would be her hypothetical base, she should be fine.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2011, 08:47:31 PM »

Inconveniences me a lot, but as long as I can do fine in Dover/Toms River, I don't need to worry about a primary. I've lost about 2/3 of my original district though.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2011, 09:17:20 PM »

TN-9 as is (or whatever modified version we get after redistricting) is as good as it gets for me.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2011, 09:33:38 PM »

TN-9 as is (or whatever modified version we get after redistricting) is as good as it gets for me.

I don't know if you're as politically skilled as Steve Cohen for fending off black challengers. You want a less black seat. I came up with this, 57% white, 61.9) Obama. I hope you live somewhere in it.

I just noticed how small the white liberal part of Memphis is. Even for the south it's pretty bad.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2011, 09:50:26 PM »

I don't know if you're as politically skilled as Steve Cohen for fending off black challengers. You want a less black seat. I came up with this, 57% white, 61.9) Obama. I hope you live somewhere in it.

I just noticed how small the white liberal part of Memphis is. Even for the south it's pretty bad.

Can you zoom into the Shelby County? I'm curious if I live in the gerrymander you created for me, but it's impossible to tell from that far out. Also, are you still able to create the required VAP district in W Tennessee?
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2011, 10:03:30 PM »

For me, it would be similar to the newly drawn NC-4, but not extending to Fayetteville--I wouldn't relate as well to military Dems. I'd get the extra population probably from Greensboro. I'd like to decrease the black % (below 40% of Dems) and increase the Obama % (or at least keep it at 70%).

Could someone map and link one for me, please?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #59 on: July 15, 2011, 10:09:52 PM »

Can you zoom into the Shelby County? I'm curious if I live in the gerrymander you created for me, but it's impossible to tell from that far out. Also, are you still able to create the required VAP district in W Tennessee?

OP said to pretend the VRA doesn't exist, so I ignored those factors.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #60 on: July 15, 2011, 10:19:37 PM »

For me, it would be similar to the newly drawn NC-4, but not extending to Fayetteville--I wouldn't relate as well to military Dems. I'd get the extra population probably from Greensboro. I'd like to decrease the black % (below 40% of Dems) and increase the Obama % (or at least keep it at 70%).

Could someone map and link one for me, please?

57.6% white. 67.1% Obama, but that's enough for "safe Dem".
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #61 on: July 15, 2011, 10:28:55 PM »

Inconveniences me a lot, but as long as I can do fine in Dover/Toms River, I don't need to worry about a primary. I've lost about 2/3 of my original district though.

What's the CPVI on that Mercer/Burlington CD?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #62 on: July 15, 2011, 10:29:49 PM »
« Edited: July 15, 2011, 10:43:23 PM by memphis »

I don't think I'm in your district, but it's really hard to tell without the streets visible. I live in 68-1, which is a really strange precinct.  They're apparantly counting the prisons across 240 in the precinct, which explains why I live in an area that supposedly has an almost equal divide between black and white. That certainly is not the case here on the outside. The voting results imply the truth: it's a cracker hood.
Also, there is apparantly an error in the app's numbers. Several white neighborhoods on the SE end of town are showing exactly 48.4% for Obama and 51.6% for McCain, although with different numbers of raw votes. That part of town should be at least 60% McCain. And then 74-6 is inexplicably 3/4 white, but 86% Obama. I work near there, and I can tell you it's not exactly Vermont. There are also exactly 0 votes cast in precint 15, where 5,000 people live. Are these the official numbers used in the large tallies? Some very sloppy work.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #63 on: July 15, 2011, 10:58:44 PM »

VAP is 48% white, 33% Asian, 14% Hispanic. I based the district around Cupertino and Sunnyvale and tried to avoid a large concentration of any one group that might have a primary challenge. It's rather easy to draw a map in the suburban Bay Area, since every place votes the same. The district is rather affluent, but I think I found a good balance between the rich areas near the hills (Cupertino, Saratoga, etc.) and the less rich areas in the valley. If I wanted I could probably benefit by extending the district out to Palo Alto and its rich people and college students, but because of the political homogeneity I didn't really see the need.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #64 on: July 15, 2011, 11:11:35 PM »

61.4% Obama. Leaves room for 1 Dem district and 1 GOP district to the South.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #65 on: July 16, 2011, 02:06:28 AM »

61.4% Obama. Leaves room for 1 Dem district and 1 GOP district to the South.

Nice. I'm surprised you can put in all of Burlington without getting that percentage down, but with a little bit of Camden in too, it comes together quite beautifully. Well done.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #66 on: July 18, 2011, 10:29:52 AM »

VAP is 48% white, 33% Asian, 14% Hispanic. I based the district around Cupertino and Sunnyvale and tried to avoid a large concentration of any one group that might have a primary challenge. It's rather easy to draw a map in the suburban Bay Area, since every place votes the same. The district is rather affluent, but I think I found a good balance between the rich areas near the hills (Cupertino, Saratoga, etc.) and the less rich areas in the valley. If I wanted I could probably benefit by extending the district out to Palo Alto and its rich people and college students, but because of the political homogeneity I didn't really see the need.

Since I live in the same general area, I approve of this district, except that I would get rid of the Saratoga/Los Gatos part of the district and extend it up to Palo Alto. I like political homogeneity. Tongue
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #67 on: July 19, 2011, 06:13:01 AM »

Purple: If I were running in NC, I'd run in this district. Its similar to Kissell's except it includes more of my Charlotte base. Its 57.7/41.5 Obama and 51.4% whote so I should be safe from a Republican wave and a black primary challenger.

Light Blue: If I drew the map, I would also go out of my way to screw over Chapel Hill; I have a grudge against UNC. So, I'd deliberately took Chapel Hill out of its community of interest and stuck it in a 55% McCain district. 

Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #68 on: July 19, 2011, 09:45:31 AM »

As some congresscritter in 6-CD Vermont (aka, US with Canadian sized districts).

A gerrymandered district taking in my favourite places in northern Vermont (Burlington, Cambridge, Stowe, Williston, Essex, Jericho)
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #69 on: July 19, 2011, 10:54:56 AM »

Ok... here we go:

I managed to get basically all my favorite parts of the state into one district. Both Mt. Rainier National Park and Olympic National Park are within the district. Also nearly the entire Olympic Penninsula (although if I could I would kick out Forks and Squim from the mix but sadly that doesn't seem entirely possible). I crossed the sound twice (!) once at Port Townsend to Whidbey Island and then up to the San Juans/Bellingham. The second crossing comes from the leg down to Bainbridge Island that then hops over to take in my favorite parts of Seattle (downtown, Queen Anne, Capitol Hill, Green Lake, UW, Freemont and Wallingford). It would be a super-solid D district, having voted 62.2% D in the Murray/Rossi race this last year. As you can tell I am from Olympia, and it continues to have a special place in my heart.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #70 on: July 26, 2011, 05:48:23 PM »

jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #71 on: July 26, 2011, 07:26:05 PM »

It looks like some sort of animal.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #72 on: July 27, 2011, 12:27:53 AM »

Maybe a buffalo?

bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #73 on: July 27, 2011, 05:05:10 PM »

Cheesy
AUH2O Libertarian
Rookie

« Reply #74 on: August 02, 2011, 02:18:10 AM »
« Edited: August 02, 2011, 02:22:53 AM by AUH2O Libertarian »

R+8

McCain 53.4%
Obama 44.2%

Stays clear of the metro, the Iron Range, and the heavy farming areas.  (So basically the D, the F, and the L.)  I'd have to move to Brainard after college which I might seeing how a lot of my family is there.  No chance of electing a Republican in a Duluth based district when you're as fiscally libertarian as me.  My base would be Brainard-Little Falls and the surrounding areas.  I drew this to take in as much of Lake Country as possible.  About as good as chance you'll get of electing a Ron Paul type conservative to congress in rural Minnesota.  North Central MN is Charles Lindbergh territory (his hometown is Little Falls) and anti-war, anti-UN, non-interventionist foreign policy still resonates here.

I'd love to run in this district.  My biggest fear would be a primary challenge from a strong social conservative in Stearns County.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies