With the way Obama "enthralls" people, I just can't see him losing
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 02:48:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  With the way Obama "enthralls" people, I just can't see him losing
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: With the way Obama "enthralls" people, I just can't see him losing  (Read 2625 times)
milhouse24
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2011, 07:46:02 PM »

Who exactly, other than pbrower, does Obama enthrall?

Most of the world?

This is not to say Americans are still fascinated by him, but you just cannot discount his appeal. He leaves people enthralled wherever he goes and speaks.

If only the rest of the world could vote in American elections! or vice versa, I'm throwing my vote to Kate middleton.
DS0816
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2011, 08:27:27 PM »

The Mitt Romneys of the Rs … can lose for the 2012 Republicans how Bob Dole did it in 1996: flip Indiana and Nebraska #02 (redrawn district, correct?); lose three of the following four: Arizona, Georgia, Missouri, and Montana. (Except Ariz., Obama won female vote in all.) Give Obama net gain of electoral votes into the 370s (with all four it would be past 380).

The Michele Bachmanns of the Rs … can give Obama a massive, 40-plus-state landslide.

As for Rs winning back the White House? A serious candidate who restores respect and identification to the platform of the party, as well as taking a refreshing departure from that of the Rs' previous president of the United States.
milhouse24
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2011, 09:41:11 PM »

The Mitt Romneys of the Rs … can lose for the 2012 Republicans how Bob Dole did it in 1996: flip Indiana and Nebraska #02 (redrawn district, correct?); lose three of the following four: Arizona, Georgia, Missouri, and Montana. (Except Ariz., Obama won female vote in all.) Give Obama net gain of electoral votes into the 370s (with all four it would be past 380).

The Michele Bachmanns of the Rs … can give Obama a massive, 40-plus-state landslide.

As for Rs winning back the White House? A serious candidate who restores respect and identification to the platform of the party, as well as taking a refreshing departure from that of the Rs' previous president of the United States.

I think Dole lost it based on the fact that he was 70 more than any other factor.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2011, 02:49:36 AM »
« Edited: July 10, 2011, 02:51:07 AM by sbane »

Who exactly, other than pbrower, does Obama enthrall?

Most of the world?

This is not to say Americans are still fascinated by him, but you just cannot discount his appeal. He leaves people enthralled wherever he goes and speaks.

If only the rest of the world could vote in American elections! or vice versa, I'm throwing my vote to Kate middleton.

Uh..I was just pointing out that Obama "enthralls" plenty of folks. Obviously in America where Obama's actual positions are under scrutiny, the country divides about evenly. But abroad, where they don't care or know about what policies he is implementing, you can see the appeal he still has to people. And that sort of appeal does matter. A person who is divided on whether to support Democratic or Republican policies might just stick with Obama because he will be able to sell his ideas in a more eloquent, and considering the shape of the Republican party, in a more sane manner.
Jacobtm

« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2011, 03:06:35 AM »

He's more charismatic than any GOP candidate. Look back at every election in living memory. The charismatic candidate has always won. It's that simple.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2011, 03:21:56 AM »

Maybe Obama will win. Maybe he won't. It's a long ways off and we're not really going to have a good idea for another year or so.
DS0816
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2011, 03:23:32 AM »

Maybe Obama will win. Maybe he won't. It's a long ways off and we're not really going to have a good idea for another year or so.

I understand your statement, but it's not like we should have these threads be mute until the arrival of 2012.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2011, 03:25:37 AM »

I understand your statement, but it's not like we should have these threads be mute until the arrival of 2012.

I guess if if floats your fancy then sure, but most of the chatter on this board about the general election is really quite meaningless.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2011, 05:40:11 PM »

RICK PERRY
Heimdal
HenryH

« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2011, 05:43:58 PM »

We are talking about the president with the 46,3 approval rate (RCP average), right? His disapprovals are actually higher as of now, so he is at -0,5.

This isn't 2008 and Obama is far from undefeatable.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2011, 05:53:36 PM »

Yea that was certainly a huge distraction from the economy .  .  .

Ah, so you're using the 'It's different if you're a Democrat' argument. You could have just said that from the start.

What . . .
milhouse24
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2011, 07:04:31 PM »

Well there are certain trending factors that make his re-election less likely.  Sure some things can change, but right now, with unemployment and approval ratings low, Obama is a weakened candidate and if the GOP can put a solid ticket, they can beat him.
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2011, 05:15:12 PM »

I think a lot of people turn off Obama before they give him a chance to work his terrible magic on them.

I haven't listened to a word out of that f***tard's mouth in over a year.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2011, 05:39:18 PM »

ITT:  OP comes out of timewarp from 2007.  Seriously, I czn't remember the last time people talked about poor ol' Barry as captivating, enthralling, etc.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2011, 05:44:43 PM »

We certainly basked in his wonder in 2010, now didn't we?
You also proved that your party wasn't that smart in 2010 as they threw three gimme Senate seats away (DE, CO and NV) by running ridiculous candidates.  Like the Democrats couldn't seem to get out of their own way from 1980 until 1992, that's the Republicans' problem now.  I still cannot believe they lost those seats and Obama is smart.  He knows the GOP has to run someone who is going to make the anti-gay, anti-abortion rhetoric a big part of the campaign.  He's not stupid.

Sure but that really isn't relevant since we won't be nominating people like Angle, Buck or O'Donnell for President.

Have you seen the GOP field? They're just like them.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2011, 06:07:17 PM »
« Edited: July 11, 2011, 06:24:49 PM by Anonymous Irish Alcoholic »

I will say that Obama is more charismatic than the average politician, but have you heard the average politician now days?  I mean really?
Just because he's better than the average in the generation where good "ole humble pie!" southern boys are considered to be great candidates doesn't mean he's as charismatic as a Kennedy, a Reagan, or even a Richard GD Nixon.
Can't say the current GOP field is the most promising either.

I mean really people, don't abuse the scope of things here.
specific_name
generic_name
United States

« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2011, 03:18:03 AM »
« Edited: July 12, 2011, 03:19:44 AM by generic »

When Obama has a serious moment to address the nation, rather than the day to day stuff, he's pretty damn good. The low info voters will likely be swayed by his charisma, which definitely still exists. More experienced people, like on this board, are liable to underestimate the likability factor or assume his unfavorables are harder than they really are.

When the Bin Laden bump came along, you could see some of the soft disapprovers move towards approve. I don't think it takes too much to influence the middle of the road, low info people. They care about style over substance and Obama has the style to do well even in a fairly hostile environment. He is one of the few politicians I could see pulling out a win even under bad economic circumstances. Still he's very far from unbeatable. Romney could certainly win.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2011, 05:31:00 AM »

At least Reagan was a weathered and wise old man

Very debatable.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States