Confirmation Hearing: Tmthforu94 for GTO Ambassador (Nominee Confirmed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:26:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Confirmation Hearing: Tmthforu94 for GTO Ambassador (Nominee Confirmed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Confirmation Hearing: Tmthforu94 for GTO Ambassador (Nominee Confirmed)  (Read 2041 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 07, 2011, 09:06:38 AM »
« edited: July 14, 2011, 07:17:04 AM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

PRESS RELEASE

President Polnut has approved the recommendation of the Secretary of External Affairs and nominates former President Tmth as GTO Ambassador.

Rules on Confirmation Hearings
Senators have 72 hours to question the nominee
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 09:17:21 AM »

First off, I'd like to thank SoEA Benconstine and President Polnut for recommending me to this position.

I'll be honest, this position hasn't lived up to my expectations when it was originally created, and that disappoints me. I know many are considering cutting this position, and I even considered it myself as President. My hopes in this position is to not only be "GTO Ambassador" but to be somewhat of an assistant to Ben, helping him draft and smooth over stories. The federal government currently has several issues that need to be resolved - Iraq, Afghanistan, and Libya. Just as Lief gave feedback when my administration was discussing possible solutions, I want to play that same role in this administration, helping Ben, Polnut, and the rest of the administration in any way I can finding solutions to our problems.

If there's one thing I hope to be able to accomplish as GTO Ambassador, it would be to help raise awareness on foreign policy, as I think it hasn't reached the level of relevance I would like for it to. SoEA Benconstine and I see eye to eye on that issue, and I'm confident we'd make a great team.

I look forward to any questions/comments/concerns the Senate may have.

Thank you.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 09:27:27 AM »

There's been very little information about what the GTO is, what it does, and what countries are involved. One might even say that for purposes of the game, right now the GTO does not exist.
Can anything be done about this?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 09:35:38 AM »

There's been very little information about what the GTO is, what it does, and what countries are involved. One might even say that for purposes of the game, right now the GTO does not exist.
Can anything be done about this?
Yes. As GTO Ambassador, one of the first things I'd like to do is actually create a Wiki page for the GTO, and expand on the current page as GTO Ambassador. My long experience in the Wiki should help me in that regards. I will also dedicate the first page of my office to serve as somewhat of an overview for what the position is and what it does. I would agree with your assessment that right now, the GTO has no meaning in the game, other than the fact an office was bombed several months ago. I hope to work with Benconstine to give it some meaning and help Atlasians actually understand what it is.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 12:31:39 AM »

My hope is that all Senators are okay with my confirmation, considering only one Senator has bothered to say anything here.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 06:46:39 AM »

Three hours till time expires.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 09:41:46 AM »

Are you kidding me?

I move to extend the debate a further 48 hours under Article 6, Section 2, part #4 of the official senate rules.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 09:42:14 AM »

I'm not sending a vicious bully to the GTO, convicted or not.

I second Senator Snowguy's motion.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2011, 09:58:37 AM »

I move to extend the debate a further 48 hours under Article 6, Section 2, part #4 of the official senate rules.

Is there a reason you haven't asked a question in the three days since the hearing started?  Or are you just trying to filibuster this nominee?
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2011, 10:08:58 AM »

Is there a reason you haven't asked a question in the three days since the hearing started?  Or are you just trying to filibuster this nominee?

What's to ask?  Other than maybe "How will your election fraud crime and your uncanny ability to manipulate others through threats and blackmail benefit Atlasia in the capacity of GTO ambassador?"

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2011, 10:40:49 AM »

Are you kidding me?

No, Snowguy, I kid not. The President has made his nomination, it is our job to debate and vote on the nominee as proscribed by our procedures. We can't simply just sit here and ignore the procedures because a Senator(s) doesn't like the nominee. If such is the case then they are free to vote no on confirmation. If a majority vote no, then the nomination is blocked. If yes, he will be confirmed. It is as simple and straight forward as that.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2011, 10:42:02 AM »

The motion for an injunction and its subsequent second are duly noted and debate time shall be extended for 48 hours.

Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2011, 11:00:22 AM »

Are you kidding me?

No, Snowguy, I kid not. The President has made his nomination, it is our job to debate and vote on the nominee as proscribed by our procedures. We can't simply just sit here and ignore the procedures because a Senator(s) doesn't like the nominee. If such is the case then they are free to vote no on confirmation. If a majority vote no, then the nomination is blocked. If yes, he will be confirmed. It is as simple and straight forward as that.

I'm not ready to vote yet.  I'd like to talk to the president about this nomination to understand his reasoning behind this particular choice.  I think there should be another 2 days of debate.  It is my right to request that extra debate time as long as another senator seconds me. 

Just trying to ram through confirmations is what can cause gridlock and a lack of activity in Atlasia.  Just because Tmth might be able to do the duties of ambassador to the GTO doesn't mean he should be confirmed for it.  I wouldn't let a known criminal mow my lawn just because they can do it.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2011, 11:05:48 AM »

Are you kidding me?

I'm not ready to vote yet.  I'd like to talk to the president about this nomination to understand his reasoning behind this particular choice.  I think there should be another 2 days of debate.  It is my right to request that extra debate time as long as another senator seconds me. 

Just trying to ram through confirmations is what can cause gridlock and a lack of activity in Atlasia.  Just because Tmth might be able to do the duties of ambassador to the GTO doesn't mean he should be confirmed for it.  I wouldn't let a known criminal mow my lawn just because they can do it.

I wasn't referring to the request for an extention of time which you can see I have made dispostions regarding such procedure wise. I was responding to the "are you kidding" comment. Which seemed to be questioning why I was just simply proceeding as proscribed by the OSPR. I also didn't limit the grounds on which it is reasonable to oppose a nominee, which your present post seems to infer about my previous post responding your post.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2011, 11:52:28 AM »

I'm not a criminal. This entire ordeal has been blown way out of proportion, and lies have been spread by multiple people. Anyone continuing to accuse me of such is simply spreading information they cannot back up.

If anyone has serious questions for me regarding my nomination for GTO Ambassador, I'd be more than happy to answer them.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2011, 12:09:29 PM »

I believe strongly that your disturbing behavior is relevant to the hearing. I would say the same thing if John Edwadds was appointed.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2011, 07:17:14 AM »

Extended questioning time has now expired and a final vote on confirmation is commencing. Senators, please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2011, 08:27:16 AM »

Aye
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2011, 09:45:15 AM »

Nay!
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2011, 09:47:19 AM »

It's unfortunate the extended questioning was not put to good use.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2011, 01:44:51 PM »

Aye
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2011, 03:46:48 PM »

Aye
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2011, 08:21:36 PM »

Aye
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2011, 11:56:53 PM »

Aye
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2011, 07:14:48 AM »

Aye

Final vote on confirmation of Fmr. President Tmthforu94 to be GTO Ambassador:

Aye (6): AHDuke99, Antonio V, fuzzybigfoot, NC Yankee, officepark, and shua.
Nay (1): Napoleon
Abstain (0):

Didn't Vote (2): bgwah and Snowguy716

The nominee has been confirmed.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies