Programs to cut...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:30:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Programs to cut...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Programs to cut...  (Read 5179 times)
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2005, 08:22:12 PM »

Well, if Gabu's been thinking about it, we should get into talks on this fairly soon.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2005, 08:45:22 PM »

Cosmo Kramer, as future Sec. of the Treasury, and I have talked about trying to introduce an actual federal budget for Atlasia next term (at least in somewhat general terms).

You should look back at past bills before you compile the list, I know we've increased for education, and possibly for some other things as well.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2005, 08:49:39 PM »

Cosmo Kramer, as future Sec. of the Treasury, and I have talked about trying to introduce an actual federal budget for Atlasia next term (at least in somewhat general terms).

If there are specific programs that you would like to see some cuts enacted in, please let the Senate know.

Otherwise, please wait until you're a Senator or until a budget is introduced before you try to propose your unconstitutional tax cuts.

Thank you Sam. It should be the first priority of the new Senate to pass new budget legislation. We have gone for many months without a functioning budget. We should first pass a Senate Resolution stating how often a budget has to be proposed then we should work on a budget that will actually not get voted down by the Senate.

I believe I sent Gabu something on the budget a few weeks back.  Gabu?

Oops, so you did.  My apologies; I haven't a clue how I missed that...

For everyone else, here's what he sent me; it's an updated version of the Budget Amendment (with some cosmetic changes added by me):

The Budget Amendment

§ 1. The Senate shall be responsible for drafting and approving a budget at the opening of each individual Congress.

§ 2. The Budget must be approved by a majority vote of the Senate and then approved by the President.

§ 3. The Senate shall approve the budget before moving on to any other matter.

§ 4. After the budget is approved by the Senate, the Senate shall appropriate money raised by the budget as it deems appropriate.

§ 5. The total overspent on the budget and appropriations must not exceed 2% of the GDP except in those situations specified by Section 6.

§ 6. Section 5 shall not be in effect in a time of war or in a time of economic crisis.  A time of war shall be defined as a time when the Atlasian Senate has voted to declare war and a situation of war exists.  A time of economic crisis shall be defined as a time when the real GDP has been in decline for two or more quarters.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2005, 09:40:00 PM »

You should look back at past bills before you compile the list, I know we've increased for education, and possibly for some other things as well.

I had already reminded myself of that, but it's good that you reminded all of us, Akno.  Thanks.  Smiley
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2005, 11:57:46 PM »

It is pretty hard to make spending cuts for a tax plan you know nothing about...
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2005, 12:01:20 AM »

well having a complete joke as my senator might not be so bad if I have stuff like this to laugh at non-stop...
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2005, 05:06:11 PM »

If there are specific programs that you would like to see some cuts enacted in, please let the Senate know.

Otherwise, please wait until you're a Senator or until a budget is introduced before you try to propose your unconstitutional tax cuts.

Thank you Sam. It should be the first priority of the new Senate to pass new budget legislation. We have gone for many months without a functioning budget. We should first pass a Senate Resolution stating how often a budget has to be proposed then we should work on a budget that will actually not get voted down by the Senate.

For everyone else, here's what he sent me; it's an updated version of the Budget Amendment (with some cosmetic changes added by me):

The Budget Amendment

§ 1. The Senate shall be responsible for drafting and approving a budget at the opening of each individual Congress.

§ 2. The Budget must be approved by a majority vote of the Senate and then approved by the President.

§ 4. After the budget is approved by the Senate, the Senate shall appropriate money raised by the budget as it deems appropriate.

§ 5. The total overspent on the budget and appropriations must not exceed 2% of the GDP except in those situations specified by Section 6.

§ 6. Section 5 shall not be in effect in a time of war or in a time of economic crisis.  A time of war shall be defined as a time when the Atlasian Senate has voted to declare war and a situation of war exists.  A time of economic crisis shall be defined as a time when the real GDP has been in decline for two or more quarters.

Senator-Elect Spade I have to say that this is a very good piece of legislation. It will solve the problem of not having a working budget in place in Atlasia. The only problem that I can see is that the Senate would not be able to come to a consensus on the budget and spend a majority of time in the session on the budget while other things are not handled. This could lead to an even greater impass in the Senate than we have now. While this is the best plan that I have seen I think Section 3 should be changed to something along the lines of, "The Senate must approve a budget before the end of the first two weeks of the new session." While this will not solve all the problems it will set a firm time limit on how long the Senate must spend on the budget but that raises the question of how will this be enforced. Well we will have to iron out the problems when the Senate actually begins.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2005, 06:14:48 PM »

The Budget Amendment

Senator-Elect Spade I have to say that this is a very good piece of legislation. It will solve the problem of not having a working budget in place in Atlasia. The only problem that I can see is that the Senate would not be able to come to a consensus on the budget and spend a majority of time in the session on the budget while other things are not handled. This could lead to an even greater impass in the Senate than we have now. While this is the best plan that I have seen I think Section 3 should be changed to something along the lines of, "The Senate must approve a budget before the end of the first two weeks of the new session." While this will not solve all the problems it will set a firm time limit on how long the Senate must spend on the budget but that raises the question of how will this be enforced. Well we will have to iron out the problems when the Senate actually begins.

Actually, Colin, Jake came up with it. 

I haven't thoroughly examined it legally yet.  Smiley
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2005, 06:18:10 PM »

Budget stuff never passes. You just end up wasting weeks trying to make a compromise, which in the end all the people you've been trying to get a deal with decided don't fit within their narrow ideological spectrum and it goes down to defeat in a public poll.

Yes, I'm bitter about that...
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2005, 06:22:42 PM »

Er, as Al said, Jake wrote that, not Sam.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2005, 06:44:27 PM »

Er, as Al said, Jake wrote that, not Sam.

Oh whoops. I thought I saw Sam's name in there so I assumed it was his bill. Sorry about that.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2005, 06:51:43 PM »

Budget stuff never passes. You just end up wasting weeks trying to make a compromise, which in the end all the people you've been trying to get a deal with decided don't fit within their narrow ideological spectrum and it goes down to defeat in a public poll.

Yes, I'm bitter about that...

Al, your Budget Amendment didn't pass the voters' because it was vague and badly written.  I said so when I voted against it and many others did too, from both sides of the political spectrum..

Something can and will be worked out on this issue.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2005, 03:13:14 AM »

Al, your Budget Amendment didn't pass the voters' because it was vague and badly written.  I said so when I voted against it and many others did too, from both sides of the political spectrum..

Something can and will be worked out on this issue.

It was vauge because it was a compromise.

Maybe people's attitude's towards a budget (which back then seemed to be demanding not on penny overspend or opposed to a budget...) have moderated and matured so that's not a problem anymore.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2005, 07:33:06 PM »

As far as buget matters, how far are we going to detail the buget?  Just by type of spending, department and sub-department, I would presume.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2005, 07:38:38 PM »

As far as buget matters, how far are we going to detail the buget?  Just by type of spending, department and sub-department, I would presume.

We've been using the Budget Simulator to help simplify thething.

Assk someone for the link.  Also, check the appropriations committee thread (you have to dig it up) because our starting point is different than that in the simulator, especially defense spending.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2007, 01:52:09 AM »
« Edited: February 18, 2007, 01:55:44 AM by KEmperor »

Bump for nostalgia.

EDIT:  Was going to bump this one too, but it's locked.

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=18268.0
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2011, 10:01:34 PM »

This is pretty much how the RL debt negotiations are going right now.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2011, 10:06:42 PM »

Beautiful.
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States