Confirmation Hearing: RowanBrandon for Game Moderator (Nomination Withdrawn)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 09:28:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Confirmation Hearing: RowanBrandon for Game Moderator (Nomination Withdrawn)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Confirmation Hearing: RowanBrandon for Game Moderator (Nomination Withdrawn)  (Read 2445 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 03, 2011, 06:47:06 AM »
« edited: July 04, 2011, 08:36:58 PM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

THE OFFICE OF THE PRESIDENT-ELECT

Seattle, Washington

President-elect Polnut has nominated former Senator and Attorney-General Barnes to serve as the next Secretary of Internal Affairs. He will also nominate former Senator and Northeast Governor Rowan Brandon to serve as Game Moderator.

These are experienced Atlasians who, despite issues in the past, have shown renewed commitment to Atlasia, and the President-elect is enthusiastic about what they can bring to these important and inter-connected roles.

Rules on Confirmation Hearings

Senators have 72 hours to question the nominee.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 10:10:05 AM »

The only questions I can think of have to do with the President's drug use when picking the nominee.

Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 11:55:55 AM »

The only questions I can think of have to do with the President's drug use when picking the nominee.

And you're a Senator?  Jesus.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 12:52:58 PM »

Will the nominee promise not to overwork himself if he is confirmed to this position?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 02:06:34 PM »

We are talking about nominating someone who openly admits to shirking his Senate duties and has a very spotty record on activity for what is likely the single most important position. What kind of Senator would I be to vote in favor of such a nominee after criticizing Tmthforu94 for many of the same problems? I am supposed to believe there will be some kind of turn around in his performance based on how he answers a few questions?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 03:51:53 PM »

Rowan, as it has been part of the Game Moderator's role to examine the nation's economy, the budget and forecasting the impacts of legislation, is there anything you can point us toward where you have made contributions in this area?  Have you conducted any analysis of this sort in your time as Governor and Senator?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 06:22:56 PM »

I think it's unfair to not even give RowanBrandon the chance to respond to the criticism's that have been directed his way. That's what this hearing should be about. Then you can decide whether or not they should be confirmed.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2011, 08:26:12 PM »

Will the nominee promise not to overwork himself if he is confirmed to this position?

Absolutely. No one likes an overachiever. They make the rest of us look bad.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2011, 08:31:39 PM »

Rowan, as it has been part of the Game Moderator's role to examine the nation's economy, the budget and forecasting the impacts of legislation, is there anything you can point us toward where you have made contributions in this area?  Have you conducted any analysis of this sort in your time as Governor and Senator?

I don't know if I can point to any particular past analysis that I have done, but there is no doubt in my mind that I am certainly capable of handling the responsibilities that this position entails. I will provided detailed reports to the Senate and to regional governments when they are requested.

As for the activity concerns, I don't know what else I can say beyond that I will guarantee that there will be multiple posts per week from the GM during this tenure. Past GM's have gone weeks without updates.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2011, 08:40:09 PM »

I want it to be clear that being better than past GMs wont cut it if the work is still inadequate.

How often will you inform of us of unemployment, interest, and inflation rates?

Will you provide detailed information regarding the status of each of our main industries?

What set of rules or guidelines can you point to that you would follow on a consistent basis?
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2011, 08:46:27 PM »
« Edited: July 11, 2011, 07:55:22 AM by Gustaf »

I want it to be clear that being better than past GMs wont cut it if the work is still inadequate.

Will you provide detailed information regarding the status of each of our main industries?

What set of rules or guidelines can you point to that you would follow on a consistent basis?

Good for you.

I want it to be clear that I won't be answering questions from you, so I suggest you find someone else to ask your questions for you.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2011, 08:48:30 PM »

Now I certainly wont be voting to confirm this nominee and I hope others see his inactivity and inability to answer questions for what it is.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2011, 08:54:42 PM »

How do you value the regional budgets?

What current issues do you identity as the three most pressing, i.e. the first three things you would tackle if/once confirmed?

(I know I'm not a senator, but as outgoing de jure GM I figure I can ask a few questions)
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2011, 09:08:56 PM »

How do you value the regional budgets?

What current issues do you identity as the three most pressing, i.e. the first three things you would tackle if/once confirmed?

(I know I'm not a senator, but as outgoing de jure GM I figure I can ask a few questions)

I believe that each region should have a regional budget and it is the role of the GM to provide assistance/clarifications to the regional governments in order to help craft those budgets.

I don't know if I can list three at the moment, but I think the biggest thing is to make sure that the Senate actually listens to what the GM writes. In the past, too often the Senate has basically just ignored what the GM had posted. In order to do this, the GM needs to be posting updates very frequently so that the game has constant new information to digest and react to.

Another thing is that in general, anything that you can get from CNBC, you will get from your new GM. This includes daily stock market updates, unemployment numbers, manufacturing numbers, FED reports, housing numbers, inflation reports, etc.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2011, 11:46:50 PM »

Let's not forget he "jokingly" resigned when it was time to open up the voting booth and President Purple State nearly had to declare a state of emergency in the Northeast.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2011, 06:29:22 AM »
« Edited: July 04, 2011, 06:31:15 AM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

I ask that there be no more insults directed at the President.

Good for you.

I want it to be clear that I won't be answering questions from you, so I suggest you find someone else to ask your questions for you, prick.

And I must insist that the nominee not employ childish name calling on Senators. I ask that the nominee answer the question posed by the Senator as it is both valid and relevant to the discussion.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2011, 06:46:54 AM »

There was some past dispute between myself and the nominee.

I want to known that he and I have had a discussion, and I endorse this nominee.

Thank you.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2011, 08:22:12 AM »

Sorry, I'm not going to waste my time with someone whose first post in this thread was an attack on both me and the president.

If you think the questions are valid, then re-ask them yourself, please.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2011, 09:08:48 AM »

Sorry Yankee but this isn't a serious nominee. Read Dallasfan's post.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2011, 09:24:34 AM »

Does anyone else have any questions for me? I'd be happy to answer.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2011, 09:38:06 AM »

Here is an example of general public sentiment regarding the nominee:

I've always liked Rowan, and I continue to. I talk a lot about seriousness and activity in Atlasia, Rowan lacks both, but since he's my party colleague now and I had his vote, I don't care

Fixed.

Lacks both seriousness and activity. We are talking about the GM position, Senators, not GTO Ambassador.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2011, 11:57:20 AM »

Another thing is that in general, anything that you can get from CNBC, you will get from your new GM. This includes daily stock market updates, unemployment numbers, manufacturing numbers, FED reports, housing numbers, inflation reports, etc.

What would you base these numbers on? One major issue that has involved a wide range of financial details that the Senate has been discussing is Antonio's Social Security bill. If you are interested in these issues, why have you been largely absent from this discussion?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2011, 12:01:41 PM »

Here is an example of general public sentiment regarding the nominee:

I've always liked Rowan, and I continue to. I talk a lot about seriousness and activity in Atlasia, Rowan lacks both, but since he's my party colleague now and I had his vote, I don't care

Fixed.

Don't misrepresent, Senator.  That was a shot at Marokai, not Rowan.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2011, 12:35:21 PM »

I'm not misrepresenting anything. It says plain and clear that Rowan lacks both seriousness and activity.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2011, 02:33:37 PM »

What would you base these numbers on? One major issue that has involved a wide range of financial details that the Senate has been discussing is Antonio's Social Security bill. If you are interested in these issues, why have you been largely absent from this discussion?

While it's no secret I wasn't a model senator, I don't see how that has an effect on my future performance in this job. Just because I wasn't intimately involved in that particular bill, it does not mean that I don't have an interest in economic and financial issues.

Those numbers would be based on a variety of factors: the general economic climate, legislation passed by the regions, legislation passed by the federal government, international and foreign affairs, terrorist attacks, etc.

The baseline for the numbers would be set from previous GM reports. If there are no previous GM reports on particular data points, I would indeed arbitrarily provide a baseline for those numbers to start my term at.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies