Describe the average voter who...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 14, 2024, 09:30:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Describe the average voter who...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Describe the average voter who...  (Read 4124 times)
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2011, 08:22:18 PM »

Good insight as a crude generalization, although there is a sea change among younger men. They no longer view gay sex as some horrible crime against the status of manhood.

Been to a high school lately?

I have in fact. Most people make gay jokes (even the tolerant ones, and even the gay ones), but in the end most people are apathetic, and those who oppose it are overwhelmingly the evangelical Christians. Might I ass that my county voted 55-42 for McCain?
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2011, 09:16:05 PM »

Good insight as a crude generalization, although there is a sea change among younger men. They no longer view gay sex as some horrible crime against the status of manhood.

Been to college lately?

Are you agreeing with me or contradicting what I am implying?
I think he's agreeing with you, saying not only is it a problem in high school, but in college as well.

If you ever go to college, you will look back on this post, instantly become ashamed, super facepalm, and maybe understand how unwise your post is.

Indeed.  I was contradicting.  People grow out of it, FallenMorgan, and I'm sorry you haven't encountered that.  In fact, most people were growing out of it by the beginning of high school, in my experience.

I'd say this was largely my experience too.  There were many openly gay students in my school, many of them very popular.  People might roll their eyes at particularly flamboyant guys... but then, so do I.

To me... overusing the word "fag" or "f****t" and gaybashing is more the property of middle school... where most kids hold their crushes as far away as possible during the slow dance at the school dance and the basis of their snide, nasty attitude is their own hormone driven fear of not being accepted by all the other kids who also fear being rejected.  This is probably why some gay kids end up doing really well... they get used to the mocking and snide comments early on and learn to stop fearing rejection earlier.. thus gaining confidence as they get older.  None of the openly gay kids in high school I knew lacked confidence.  But then, for every 1 openly gay guy in high school, there were probably 10 closeted ones.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2011, 03:38:18 PM »

Lunar went to Berkeley as well.  Cool.

This really doesn't have anything to do with the topic, but if you are incinuating I went to Berkeley, I did not; I went to Case Western in Cleveland, OH (where I am now a grad student).
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2011, 03:51:55 PM »

Most of the guys I knew in undergrad were gay...?

(Note: most is not an exaggeration)

Can't say I saw many signs of homophobia at all.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2011, 04:07:47 PM »

Been to college lately?

Are you agreeing with me or contradicting what I am implying?
I think he's agreeing with you, saying not only is it a problem in high school, but in college as well.

If you ever go to college, you will look back on this post, instantly become ashamed, super facepalm, and maybe understand how unwise your post is.
As someone who has actually been to college before and been up close with college life, I actually do have somewhat a sense of what college is like, and despite what you may think, I am smart enough to one day go to college. While things may be a little different in the Northeast, down here in Indiana, gay sex is something that is looked heavily down upon by all ages of man, not just in high school.

You're a 17 year old so I doubt you attend a university.  Given that, you are clueless about college life.

I'd appreciate if you could point out to me where I implied you are not smart enough to go to college, Mr. Victim.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2011, 12:54:04 PM »

California exit polls:

Prop 19:
White Men: 51-49% Yes
White Women: 58-42% No
Black Men: 53-47% No
Black Women: 52-48% No

Prop 8:
White Men: 51-49% Yes
White Women: 53-47% No
Black Men: 65-35% Yes
Black Women: 70-30% Yes

So, uh not quite.

These props are worded differently, so yes + yes means the second option (pro-marijuana but not pro-gay) and no + no means the opposite.

That said
White Men: 4 yes
White Women: 22 no
Black Men: 24 yes
Black Women: 36 yes

Not quite, but pretty similar (aside from black women).
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2011, 02:59:33 PM »

I knew a gay kid in high school a few years ago who dropped his (mostly male) physics class because of bullying, college is completely and refreshingly different.

Then again, my county was over 60% McCain, so its not the best comparison.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2011, 10:30:12 PM »

In regards to the second category, there does appear to be a growing trend among religious conservatives to oppose the War on Drugs even if they find drug use immoral, usually with "It's not man's job to enforce God's laws" type attitude, but there is a bit more too it. See Pat Robertson's comments about marijuana (granted he was arguing more in favor of decriminalization than legalization, but the idea is the same.) Sarah Palin has said similar things.

A big factor I think is that many of these are people who truly fear the power of government and do believe it's not too far off from when parents will be hauled off to jail by jackbooted thugs for homeschooling or pastors will be arrested for preaching against homosexuality. It would be rather hypocritical to support expanding government's power in this realm. I'm thinking of Ron Paul's rather fundie supporters in 2008, or someone like Chuck Baldwin.

It's also worth noting the California Council of Churches endorsed Prop 19, though that is a liberal group that also opposed Prop 8.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2011, 11:06:20 PM »

You're a 17 year old so I doubt you attend a university.  Given that, you are clueless about college life.

I'd appreciate if you could point out to me where I implied you are not smart enough to go to college, Mr. Victim.

He's watched all the American Pie movies, Nap.  He knows that professors flunk anybody who doesn't have their penis in a vagina at least once a weekend.

Plus, he has our resident Professor posting here to confirm that it is not a Hollywood myth.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2011, 08:22:19 PM »

... supports marriage equality but opposes marijuana legalization.

A white urban or suburban woman in her 30s.

... supports marijuana legalization but opposes mariage equality.

A Bro, probably one who's mostly apolitical. He's homophobic but in all likelihood not particularly religious. He likes to get drunk and high at parties on the weekends.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2011, 08:24:07 PM »

There are no average people. We're not numbers.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2011, 08:28:58 PM »

@BRTD

What about the results for Hispanics and Asians on Prop-8?
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2011, 06:13:06 PM »

I knew a gay kid in high school a few years ago who dropped his (mostly male) physics class because of bullying, college is completely and refreshingly different.

Then again, my county was over 60% McCain, so its not the best comparison.

Not disagreeing with your point, but bullying (of any sort) is far more common in HS than college. Though certainly, those who choose to be bullies are more likely to be homophobic, or bigoted against another group.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies