Swann Announces Candidacy for PA Governor
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:28:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Swann Announces Candidacy for PA Governor
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Swann Announces Candidacy for PA Governor  (Read 3469 times)
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 10, 2004, 09:28:42 PM »

From Politics1.com:

Pro Football Hall of Famer Lynn Swann (R) -- Chair of the President's Council on Physical Fitness -- confirmed this week that he is planning to challenge Pennsylvania Governor Ed Rendell (D). Other likely GOP primary candidates include former Lieutenant Governor Bill Scranton III, State Senator Jeffrey Piccola and retired USAF pilot Mac McCawley.

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2004, 09:51:12 PM »

You should have put this in our special PA Gubernatorial thread, King  Tongue

Anyway, if Piccola, Scranton and Swann are the only three candidates, you can bet that Swann has my full support. I've heard that he donated some money to Specter and Kerry a few years ago but other than that he seems to be a good choice. I like what I'm hearing. However, if Toomey, Hart or another, better conservative jumps in then I will support Toomey or Hart or whoever the other candidate is (that is, if the "other" candidate is better than Swann). Does everyone understand?  Tongue

The "Epicenter of Conservative Grassroots Activity" in PA  www.grassrootspa.com is reporting that besides Swann, another western PA conservative is likely to run and details will be provided soon. The report also states that this candidate would have little trouble fundraising. It will be interesting to see who this candidate is.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2004, 10:09:18 PM »

The "Epicenter of Conservative Grassroots Activity" in PA  www.grassrootspa.com is reporting that besides Swann, another western PA conservative is likely to run and details will be provided soon. The report also states that this candidate would have little trouble fundraising. It will be interesting to see who this candidate is.

Let's see....

Tom Ridge
[X] Western PAer (Pittsburg)
[X] Conservative
[X] Likely to run
[X] Fundraising not a problem
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2004, 10:11:55 PM »

Let's see....

Tom Ridge
[X] Western PAer (Pittsburg)
[X] Conservative
[X] Likely to run
[X] Fundraising not a problem

Ridge isn't that conservative (atleast not the type of conservative that this website represents. Ridge is more center-right.) and I have to disagree that Ridge is likely to run.
danwxman

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2004, 10:23:16 PM »

Wow, if he actually gets the nomination this will be Eastern PA vs. Western PA. The matchup will be fun to watch for sure. I'd still give Rendell the edge though.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2004, 10:28:35 PM »

Wow, if he actually gets the nomination this will be Eastern PA vs. Western PA. The matchup will be fun to watch for sure. I'd still give Rendell the edge though.

East vs. West
Rendell vs. Swann

and how about this to top it all off...

Eagles vs. Steelers in the Super Bowl!
zachman

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2004, 10:29:51 PM »

I'd give Swann better than 50% odds. Republicans are fantastic at getting non-politician notables to run (i.e. Arnold), and the Democrats need to improve on that now that John Glenn is retired.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2004, 10:32:37 PM »

I'd give Swann better than 50% odds. Republicans are fantastic at getting non-politician notables to run (i.e. Arnold), and the Democrats need to improve on that now that John Glenn is retired.

And the fact that Rendell isn't very popular anymore helps the GOP here.
danwxman

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2004, 10:36:06 PM »

If I had a nickel for every time you said that...
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2004, 10:39:18 PM »

You'd be a very rich man, I know. But Dan, it's the truth and the Dems don't want to admit it. Hey I have no problem if you think Rendell wil cruise into a second term. In fact, I hope the PA Democratic party has a unanimous agreement and believes the same. Only better for us.
danwxman

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2004, 10:44:22 PM »

You'd be a very rich man, I know. But Dan, it's the truth and the Dems don't want to admit it. Hey I have no problem if you think Rendell wil cruise into a second term. In fact, I hope the PA Democratic party has a unanimous agreement and believes the same. Only better for us.

The Republican party knows their chances are low. That's why they gave Swann the go-ahead.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2004, 10:53:24 PM »

The Republican party knows their chances are low. That's why they gave Swann the go-ahead.

What's with you and this "The Republican party knows their chances are low" stuff? How are their chances low? That's all I ever hear from you. Sure Rendell has the advantage of being the incumbent but look at this incumbent's approval ratings. They'd throw in a "sacrificial lamb" if Rendell had 60% approval ratings. That certainly isn't the case. The PA GOP is going to keep interest in this Gubernatorial race.
danwxman

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2004, 10:57:03 PM »

What's with you and this "The Republican party knows their chances are low" stuff? How are their chances low? That's all I ever hear from you. Sure Rendell has the advantage of being the incumbent but look at this incumbent's approval ratings. They'd throw in a "sacrificial lamb" if Rendell had 60% approval ratings. That certainly isn't the case. The PA GOP is going to keep interest in this Gubernatorial race.

I've already explained my reasoning...we don't know Rendell's true approval ratings and no Governor has ever been ousted.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2004, 11:03:28 PM »

I've already explained my reasoning...we don't know Rendell's true approval ratings and no Governor has ever been ousted.

Just because a Governor hasn't been ousted doesn't mean it can't happen and since we don't know Rendell's approval ratings right now, we go by the latest ones that show him just about 50%
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2004, 05:29:14 AM »

"About 50%" is hardly "DOOMED!!! AAAAAAGH! THE ELECTORAL GRIM REAPER HATH COME FOR ME!!!!!!!" is it?

Plenty of Governers would kill for that
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2004, 11:24:47 AM »

And they've pretty much lost their jobs already. Rendell's approval rating was once in the high 50s I believe. He also has high disapproval ratings.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2004, 01:14:03 PM »

And they've pretty much lost their jobs already. Rendell's approval rating was once in the high 50s I believe. He also has high disapproval ratings.

Rendell's ratings have been around 50% approve/30% disapprove for a fairly long time now.
These are not *bad* numbers. They aren't exactly good numbers either.
Rendell is the favourite but he ain't no lock. He might be the Barnes/Benson of 2006, he might not.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2004, 01:23:43 PM »

He might be the Barnes/Benson of 2006, he might not.

I don't think it would be that type of surprise if he loses.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies