2011 Canadian election maps (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 02:42:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  2011 Canadian election maps (search mode)
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: 2011 Canadian election maps  (Read 61641 times)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #50 on: August 07, 2011, 10:17:18 PM »

the NDP is against relaxing liquour rules? This is quite disappointing, but also the first I heard of it.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #51 on: August 07, 2011, 11:23:51 PM »

Scarborough went Liberal while the NDP won East York, although both were three way races.  So far of the municipalities I have done, Guelph, Kingston, Casselman, and North Bay are the only Liberal wins.  Of the former municipalities of Ottawa, the NDP won Ottawa and Vanier, Liberals Rockcliffe Park, while the Tories won every other one, although they only got over 50% (actually 60% in all these too) in Goulbourn, Osgoode, Rideau, and West Carleton i.e. the largely rural municipalities.  In the former municipality of Hamilton, the NDP won Hamilton, while the Tories got a plurality in Stoney Creek and Dundas and a majority in Ancaster, Glanbrook, and Flamborough.  Actually so far, the Tories have gotten above 40% in almost every municipality outside of Toronto, with only Casselman, Kingston (Frontenac Islands if you don't round up), and Hamilton.  I haven't yet gotten to Windsor which I am sure the NDP won by a fairly sizeable margin. 

Deep River went Liberal too, I think.

Also very interesting that Ottawa went NDP. I think that's a first in history. We've only had one NDP mayor, and probably would have had a 2nd if it weren't for amalgamation.

I would love to see a ward breakdown.

I think I'll wait for you to do all the provinces before I make a national map... but I'd love to see results by municipality in NB (perhaps by parish as well).
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #52 on: August 07, 2011, 11:36:18 PM »

Scarborough went Liberal while the NDP won East York, although both were three way races.  So far of the municipalities I have done, Guelph, Kingston, Casselman, and North Bay are the only Liberal wins.  Of the former municipalities of Ottawa, the NDP won Ottawa and Vanier, Liberals Rockcliffe Park, while the Tories won every other one, although they only got over 50% (actually 60% in all these too) in Goulbourn, Osgoode, Rideau, and West Carleton i.e. the largely rural municipalities.  In the former municipality of Hamilton, the NDP won Hamilton, while the Tories got a plurality in Stoney Creek and Dundas and a majority in Ancaster, Glanbrook, and Flamborough.  Actually so far, the Tories have gotten above 40% in almost every municipality outside of Toronto, with only Casselman, Kingston (Frontenac Islands if you don't round up), and Hamilton.  I haven't yet gotten to Windsor which I am sure the NDP won by a fairly sizeable margin. 

Deep River went Liberal too, I think.

Also very interesting that Ottawa went NDP. I think that's a first in history. We've only had one NDP mayor, and probably would have had a 2nd if it weren't for amalgamation.

I would love to see a ward breakdown.

I think I'll wait for you to do all the provinces before I make a national map... but I'd love to see results by municipality in NB (perhaps by parish as well).

I'm not mileslunn, but I can try to do that if you want.
A map (if that even possible? good question) or a list?

If a list is provided, I would make a map.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2011, 08:58:30 AM »

Parishes are still used by Stats Can and Elections Canada.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2011, 09:48:51 PM »

The NDP would have won Westmount-Ville Marie if you took only election day polls, which might explain why Marc Garneau conceded defeat on election night only to retract it later as usually the advanced polls are the last to come in. 

I think that was rather obvious.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Nice to see the NDP pick up Port Colborne, a city the Liberals won last time. I suppose that's the only NDP pick up in terms of municipalities in all of southern Ontario.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2011, 10:36:41 PM »

The Liberals won the municipality of Whistler in British Columbia but with only 27%.  It was a four way split, Lib 27%, NDP 26%, Con 26%, and GRN 17%.

Geezus. FTR, I lived there for 2 months during the Olympics. Beautiful town. I don't think I met many of the locals, but they must be quite left wing, not wanting a Tim Hortons there and all.  The town is full of Aussies and Kiwis, but they can't vote.

Anyways, as for Essex, it appears the NDP won the former towns of Essex, and Belle River.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #56 on: August 11, 2011, 10:19:35 PM »

Why would you show Tory-majority counties in red?

Apparently because the GOP = red.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2011, 10:37:57 PM »

Parishes are still used by Stats Can and Elections Canada.

It depends of the county.
They use them for Madawaska County, but they use LDSs for Restigouche County.

I don't think so... proof?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #58 on: August 13, 2011, 12:05:11 AM »

Looks like stats can uses Parishes in Restigouche to me! I just clicked on a place there and it has a (P) beside it, meaning parish.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2011, 04:10:38 PM »

Praise the lord!
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #60 on: August 15, 2011, 04:14:21 PM »

Churchill River is extremely polarized. Polls in the north at 90%+ for the NDP, while in the south were 90%+ for the Tories.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #61 on: August 15, 2011, 10:02:34 PM »

Surprised the Liberals won Nipissing. I thought that part of the riding was more Conservative.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #62 on: August 15, 2011, 10:08:37 PM »

Looking at how poorly the Liberals did in the neighbouring ridings, I suspect a good chunk of the Liberal vote in Nipissing-Timiskaming were personal Anthony Rota votes, not genuine Liberal votes.  I suspect had he not run, the Liberals would have come in third.

Not sure how accurate that is. North Bay is usually a Liberal town, at least federally.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #63 on: August 15, 2011, 10:24:43 PM »

I wish you would use some sort of scale on your maps. If you have the raw data, it would be nice if you could send it to me.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #64 on: August 16, 2011, 08:26:35 AM »

Here is Ontario by municipality.  Since this map didn't show all of Nipissing District I left it out although I will give the figures in a later post.  The NDP in Southern Ontario only won Hamilton, Thorold, Welland, Port Colborne, Tecumseh, and Windsor.  The Liberals only won Deep River, Casselman, Kingston, Toronto, and Guelph.  Only in Windsor did the NDP crack the 50% mark while the Liberals in none.  The Tories got above 30% in every municipality using the present boundaries and even pre-amalgmation, Toronto, East York, York, Ottawa, and Vanier were the only ones they failed to crack the 30% mark.  Likewise in Nipissing District, West Nipissing was the only municipality where they got under 30%.

Is anyone else surprised the NDP won towns along the lake in Parry Sound and Muskoka? or am i seeing this map wrong? which towns are they?

Those are indian reserves. No surprise, really.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #65 on: August 18, 2011, 08:38:13 AM »

Yeah, most people who escape Alberta are non Conservatives. If someone tells me they're from Alberta, I know I can safely say "how unfortunate". My girlfriend was born in Edmonton, and she is further to the left than I am.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #66 on: August 18, 2011, 08:42:49 AM »

Oh, there's a metis settlement in Alberta that went NDP.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #67 on: August 20, 2011, 01:35:23 PM »

Yeah, most people who escape Alberta are non Conservatives. If someone tells me they're from Alberta, I know I can safely say "how unfortunate". My girlfriend was born in Edmonton, and she is further to the left than I am.

Edmonton has always been somewhat more left leaning than the rest of the province.  Both the NDP and Liberals have won seats several times provincially and federally.  In fact provincially, both parties have won the majority of seats in Edmonton a few times.  I also know many people in Edmonton who are on the left too.  Calgary however is a totally different story and the same with Rural Alberta.  While there are some on the left in those two places, they tend to keep a low profile.  I heard a story about one couple my parents knew from Calgary who were afraid to talk about the fact they were Liberal due to the negative reactions they would get from everyone. 

Anyways as a side note, using the provincial boundaries, anyone know how many ridings would have been won by the NDP or Liberals?  I am guessing there would be 3 or 4 in Edmonton and maybe one in Calgary and perhaps even one of the two Lethbridge ridings.

Edmonton Centre would have been close, but the Tories probably would have won from vote splitting.
Edmonton-Goldbar would have gone NDP
Sherwood Park would have been close Indy vs Cons race.
Edmonton-Strathcona would have of course voted NDP
Edmonton-Mill Creek looks like it also voted NDP (could be wrong)

In Calgary, the Liberals would have won Calgary-McCall but would have been competitive in Calgary-Cross.

In Lethbridge West, the NDP would have been competitive but would have lost.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #68 on: August 20, 2011, 11:36:43 PM »

If the Wild Rose Party does well next election, all that will be thrown out the window.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #69 on: August 21, 2011, 08:51:09 PM »

Excellent stuff! Cheesy I'll add a link from my site.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #70 on: August 21, 2011, 09:25:08 PM »

The poll I live in when I was living in Whistler voted Tory. Not surprising as it's new developments.  I wonder if they built over the camp they had us on yet?

I don't know much about the demographics of Whistler, as I assumed everyone there I encountered did not live there.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies