PA Gubernatorial Race 2006
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:26:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  PA Gubernatorial Race 2006
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29]
Author Topic: PA Gubernatorial Race 2006  (Read 92967 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #700 on: August 03, 2006, 11:06:19 PM »

No poll in recent times have either candidate ahead.

Great reasoning for not being able to win.   Roll Eyes
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #701 on: August 04, 2006, 01:39:28 AM »

It doesn't matter, about this because Santorum and Swann have trailed in the polls and are not likely to overcome such a huge deficit. No poll in recent times have either candidate ahead.

They aren't likely to overcome "huge" deficits but Webb and Pederson have a good chance to overcome the same deficit?
NewFederalist
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -2.26

« Reply #702 on: August 04, 2006, 06:31:06 AM »

As of now, the only third party candidate to qualify for the ballot in the Gubernatorial race is the Green party's Marykay Rogers.

I understand the Democrats are challenging the Greens' petitions. A credible source tells me the validity rate may not be high enough to certify the 67,000+ that are required. Rendell and Swann may have the field to themselves unless the 3rd Circuit decides otherwise.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #703 on: August 11, 2006, 05:56:24 PM »

Green party candidates for Governor/Lt. Governor withdraw from race - http://www.pennlive.com/newsflash/pa/index.ssf?/base/politics-1/1155329343281140.xml&storylist=penn
NewFederalist
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #704 on: August 11, 2006, 06:54:52 PM »

Pennsylvania's election laws really suck. The two dominant political parties designed them to keep the game all to themselves. Very nice.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #705 on: August 12, 2006, 08:41:07 PM »

Pennsylvania's election laws really suck. The two dominant political parties designed them to keep the game all to themselves. Very nice.

But there are many factions within the parties; that helps make up for things.
NewFederalist
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #706 on: August 12, 2006, 08:56:56 PM »

I suppose the same could be said for the pre-1964 days in the South when there were just different factions of Democrats.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #707 on: August 13, 2006, 02:09:34 PM »
« Edited: August 13, 2006, 04:41:52 PM by ICE HOCKEY »

And Pennsylvania has many different factions of both parties.  I guess I can try to list them here.  These are of course generalizations and as you can tell I'm better with the eastern part of the state.  I'll do the Democrats for now.

Democrats:

Inner City African American Democrats-  Applies to both Pittsburgh and Philadelphia.  Generally economically very liberal and socially moderate to liberal with some social conservatives.  Most are pretty religious, a large number are pro-life and very anti-gay marriage, but do not like the Republicans and Bush other than say Arlen Specter.  Virtually all favor Affirmative Action and welfare programs.  Most are fond of Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton obviously.

Center City/Manayunk/Chestnut Hill Democrats-  Pennsylvania's most socially liberal group, but economically moderate to liberal and most are fairly wealthy.  Very pro-choice, pro-gay marriage and not a particularly religious group either. 

Northeast Philadelphia/South Philadelphia/Lower Bucks Democrats-
A slightly more socially liberal, economically conservative version of the Casey Democrat.  Many in this group are white Catholics and union members.  While pro-union and strongly in favor of government prescription drug coverage, most in this group are opposed to welfare programs.  I'd say center-left economically.  Social conservatism in this category is more "law and order" rather than abortion/gay marriage.  Unlike Bob Casey Dems, most in this group favor the death penalty and are more likely to be pro-choice, more secular, and favor gun control.  More religious than the CC Dem, but not as much as the Casey Dem.     

Suburban Democrats (not including Lower Bucks)-
This describes Democrats that live in Philadelphia's suburbs with some in the Lehigh Valley and Pittsburgh suburbs.  Most of these were once Rockefeller Republicans, but have shifted towards the Democrats since Bill Clinton.  Since the Democrats have taken more fiscally conservative stances, most in this area have been receptive towards the Dems especially since the GOP is taking a much more socially conservative approach.  Economically moderate and socially liberal, but not as much as Center City Dems.       

Bob Casey Democrats-
This describes Dems in the "T' and western PA.  This group largely opposes gun control, is pro-life, and more reilgious than any of the prior groups.  Hands down the most socially conservative of Pennsylvania's Democrats.  However, I would say they are the 2nd most economically liberal to the Inner City African American Democrats.  A good number of current PA Republicans were once in this group     
NewFederalist
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #708 on: August 25, 2006, 03:10:33 PM »

Well, the 3rd Circuit and the State Supreme Court effectively ended any alternative candidate participation in statewide races this year. It would appear Iraqi elections are more fair than Pennsylvania. Very nice... very nice indeed. (See http://www.ballot-access.org for details)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #709 on: August 25, 2006, 09:54:51 PM »

Well, the 3rd Circuit and the State Supreme Court effectively ended any alternative candidate participation in statewide races this year. It would appear Iraqi elections are more fair than Pennsylvania. Very nice... very nice indeed. (See http://www.ballot-access.org for details)

Just go with Swann, Feddy. Eddie is going to have a comfortable win so you better not give him anymore than he needs.
NewFederalist
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #710 on: August 26, 2006, 04:31:09 AM »

Just go with Swann, Feddy. Eddie is going to have a comfortable win so you better not give him anymore than he needs.

If I vote at all, I probably would just vote against incumbents.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #711 on: September 20, 2006, 10:35:34 PM »

Another generic Swann ad out there about property taxes. I just saw it for the second time within three minutes. I feel bad for him.  Sad
NewFederalist
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #712 on: September 21, 2006, 01:54:12 PM »

Another generic Swann ad out there about property taxes. I just saw it for the second time within three minutes. I feel bad for him.  Sad

Voting for Swann is a lot like voting for minor party nominees... you get to vote for a sure loser who isn't qualified anyway and is just a bit embarrassing! Go Lynn! Smiley
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #713 on: September 25, 2006, 03:39:04 PM »

Voting for Swann is a lot like voting for minor party nominees... you get to vote for a sure loser who isn't qualified anyway and is just a bit embarrassing! Go Lynn! Smiley

Swann was a great WR but he's a joke as a candidate.  Anyone who votes for him should write-in Terry Bradshaw for President in '08.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #714 on: October 04, 2006, 10:30:45 AM »

Just in case the PA GOP pulled a Torrecelli...

http://politicspa.com/FEATURES/take_a_lesson_from_torricelli.htm

I'd be pleased with either Schweiker, Toomey or Castor if this was to happen.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #715 on: October 04, 2006, 03:48:22 PM »

Oh...my...

http://www.swannforgovernor.com/media/pacman.html
Deano963

« Reply #716 on: October 04, 2006, 04:34:07 PM »

The MC Hammer bit was hilarious.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #717 on: October 04, 2006, 08:41:59 PM »

And this dude is losing?!?!?!

No....Way.   Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue

Hell, at this point youd be just as successful running Torrecelli himself. Smiley
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #718 on: October 16, 2006, 10:06:05 AM »

Swann falling hard in central PA - http://www.abc27.com/news/stories/1006/368084.html
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #719 on: November 03, 2006, 10:13:16 AM »

Prediction

Rendell - 57%
Swann - 43%
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #720 on: November 13, 2006, 04:49:59 PM »

Basically everyone in PA is running for Governor - http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06316/737687-178.stm
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies