Hamas leader is killed
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 12:59:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Hamas leader is killed
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Hamas leader is killed  (Read 12069 times)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2004, 06:00:25 PM »

Israel is completely dominated by religious values? You are clearly confused about this. Israel's Jews are about 60% secular, 20% somewhat observant, and only 20% very observant. A major party and one of Sharon's coaltion partners, Shinui, is a specifically secularist, anti-religious party. The parties of the Left are generally secularist, and and Likud, Ichud Le'umi, and even Mafdal are not religious so much as nationalist. The specifically religious parties currently have a grand total of 14 of 120 Knesset seats.

As for dogmatic, what has Israel not tried? War, peace, occupation, withdrawal, negotiation at gunpoint and in luxury at European palaces, American mediation, European mediation, you name it.

Sabra and Shatila, as dunn points out, was a massacre by Lebanese Christians of Palestinian Muslims. no Israelis or Jews were involved. Or are you trying to pin Jenin massace on him, because that was a battle, not a massacre, just like Deir Yassin was.

Who does the selection? The best intelligence services in the world, buddy: the Mossad and ShinBet.

Innocents are always killed in wars. That's what makes them so ugly and something that one should avoid unless necessary.
dunn

« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2004, 06:16:10 PM »

Israel is completely dominated by religious values? You are clearly confused about this. Israel's Jews are about 60% secular, 20% somewhat observant, and only 20% very observant. A major party and one of Sharon's coaltion partners, Shinui, is a specifically secularist, anti-religious party. The parties of the Left are generally secularist, and and Likud, Ichud Le'umi, and even Mafdal are not religious so much as nationalist. The specifically religious parties currently have a grand total of 14 of 120 Knesset seats.

As for dogmatic, what has Israel not tried? War, peace, occupation, withdrawal, negotiation at gunpoint and in luxury at European palaces, American mediation, European mediation, you name it.

Sabra and Shatila, as dunn points out, was a massacre by Lebanese Christians of Palestinian Muslims. no Israelis or Jews were involved. Or are you trying to pin Jenin massace on him, because that was a battle, not a massacre, just like Deir Yassin was.

Who does the selection? The best intelligence services in the world, buddy: the Mossad and ShinBet.

Innocents are always killed in wars. That's what makes them so ugly and something that one should avoid unless necessary.
that is true
Đ tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2004, 08:08:08 PM »

The killing of Sheik may just make the Palestinians even angrier...
M

« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2004, 11:07:02 PM »

For the last time, his name was not sheik!
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2004, 12:19:12 AM »

Well, it was about %@*#&^! time. After the past four years, I have come to the conclusion that the Palestinians will never genuinely try to sign a peace treaty with Israel. There's too much bigoted hatred on their side for that. And the Palis can't be trusted to abide by any agreement they sign anyway - witness the last 10 years.

That being said, I think, for their own security, Israel needs to withdraw most of the settlements - mainly the isolated small ones run by religious-nationalist nuts who want to engage in ethnic cleansing. The large, suburban-in-nature settlements (like, err, Ariel?) should be annexed, in addition to the Golan Heights (screw the Syrians) and East Jerusalem. In return, give up Gaza (does Israel really want it...it's a total pit!) and most of the West Bank. Basically, I believe the Israeli Ministry of Defense has a plan which does this with a minimum of population exchange. The Palis would get about 85% of the West Bank as one contiguous lump. And there should DEFINITELY be a wall/fence along the entire length of the border. I'd stop letting the Palis in as workers, too - let them, in their new independent state, deal with their own problems, and not export them like, say, Mexico does.

Withdraw, fortify, and ignore the rest of the M-E as much as possible...
dunn

« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2004, 01:02:30 AM »

Well, it was about %@*#&^! time. After the past four years, I have come to the conclusion that the Palestinians will never genuinely try to sign a peace treaty with Israel. There's too much bigoted hatred on their side for that. And the Palis can't be trusted to abide by any agreement they sign anyway - witness the last 10 years.

That being said, I think, for their own security, Israel needs to withdraw most of the settlements - mainly the isolated small ones run by religious-nationalist nuts who want to engage in ethnic cleansing. The large, suburban-in-nature settlements (like, err, Ariel?) should be annexed, in addition to the Golan Heights (screw the Syrians) and East Jerusalem. In return, give up Gaza (does Israel really want it...it's a total pit!) and most of the West Bank. Basically, I believe the Israeli Ministry of Defense has a plan which does this with a minimum of population exchange. The Palis would get about 85% of the West Bank as one contiguous lump. And there should DEFINITELY be a wall/fence along the entire length of the border. I'd stop letting the Palis in as workers, too - let them, in their new independent state, deal with their own problems, and not export them like, say, Mexico does.

Withdraw, fortify, and ignore the rest of the M-E as much as possible...

Amen
Barak offerd more, Arafat started a war
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2004, 11:54:04 AM »

Mostly I like Realpolitik's idea, but it would be a sliver of the Negev, at most as large as Gaza itself. Soem parts of the Negev are Jewish or pro-Israel Bedouin, and Be'er Sheva and Eilat are large, 95+% Jewish cities.

They could Israeli enclaves (like Kaliningrad). But I would prefer Jordan to donate the East Bank...
dunn

« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2004, 12:06:38 PM »

Mostly I like Realpolitik's idea, but it would be a sliver of the Negev, at most as large as Gaza itself. Soem parts of the Negev are Jewish or pro-Israel Bedouin, and Be'er Sheva and Eilat are large, 95+% Jewish cities.

They could Israeli enclaves (like Kaliningrad). But I would prefer Jordan to donate the East Bank...
Amen
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2004, 12:14:35 PM »

I'll try a few maps soon...
dunn

« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2004, 12:20:33 PM »

Orignlly the british Mandat was on the entire land of Israel (Palestine). 77% was given to king Abdullah (great grandfather of current King) to form trans jordan (now jordan). Iraq was created for his brother king Feisal. the reson: the hadhemite lost to the Sauds in the big tribal fight in Arabia, the looseres were the freind of the british.
Jordan has 70% palestians and it is 77% from greater Palestine.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2004, 02:57:37 PM »

Orignlly the british Mandat was on the entire land of Israel (Palestine). 77% was given to king Abdullah (great grandfather of current King) to form trans jordan (now jordan). Iraq was created for his brother king Feisal. the reson: the hadhemite lost to the Sauds in the big tribal fight in Arabia, the looseres were the freind of the british.

I thought the Palestinian population was about 50% of Jordan? And that it fell some when the Jordanians kicked them out in the 70s.
dunn

« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2004, 03:37:51 PM »

I thought the Palestinian population was about 50% of Jordan? And that it fell some when the Jordanians kicked them out in the 70s.
It did fell after black september (1970) when Arafat tried to over throw Hussein. Israel, Us and Uk helped Hussein instead of restore ithe mistakes of post WW1. I will check the numbers but I'm sure it's closer to 70% then 50%
M

« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2004, 04:18:16 PM »

Syrian tanks intervened and seized at least 1/3 of Jordan. But, they were painted in PLO colors, and were claimed to be PLO tanks with Syrian volunteers or something ridiculous like that. And, of course, they were actually Soviet tanks.
YoMartin
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2004, 08:39:07 PM »

Israel is not a secular country. Thereīs not even civil marriage, only religious one! Yes, the Shinui is a liberal-secular party, but it got... 12% of the vote... Even the existence of a party almost exclusively based on a secular agenda shows that the country is currently not secular... Only in 2003 -after 40 years!- Israel had a government without Ultra-orthodox parties (which still receive substantial state funding for their various organisations).

Iīm not sure is Sharon is a war criminal or not. But, as Human Rights Watch (not Yasser Arafat) stated, “There is abundant evidence that war crimes and crimes against humanity were committed on a wide scale in the Sabra and Shatilla massacre, but to date, not a single individual has been brought to justice. President Bush should urge Prime Minister Sharon to cooperate with any investigation.” If he cooperated with the investigations, he could clean his name... or maybe not... So far, investigations say he could be guilty: "The Kahan Commission (named after the President of the Israeli Supreme Court) that investigated the massacre in 1983 concluded that “Minister of Defense [Sharon] bears personal responsibility” and should “draw the appropriate personal conclusions arising out of the defects revealed with regard to the manner in which he discharged the duties of his office.” The commission recommended that Prime Minister Menachem Begin remove Sharon from office if he did not resign".  Even the US envoy back then (1982) told the BBC that after the killings began he cabled Defense Minister Sharon, telling him, “You must stop the slaughter…. The situation is absolutely appalling. They are killing children. You have the field completely under your control and are therefore responsible for that area.” So, letīs not discharge the allegations so quickly: Sharon had personal and political responsability about the actions of the Phalangists. Yes, they were Lebanese, but Sharon was in charge and let the massacre happen!

Maybe the Mossad is the best secret service in the world -not really sure, however, I live in a city that suffered two devastating attacks in jewish institutions. But still, itīs not a question about efficiency. Itīs a question of how much discretionary power are we willing to give to (any) state. I believe in accountabilty, separation of powers, checks and balances, rule of law... I know international affairs work differently than national levels, but thatīs no reason to give any state the right to kill whoever it finds undesirable. In that case, I would even prefer an inefficient state...
YoMartin
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2004, 08:42:25 PM »

And there should DEFINITELY be a wall/fence along the entire length of the border. I'd stop letting the Palis in as workers, too - let them, in their new independent state, deal with their own problems, and not export them like, say, Mexico does.

Now I realise why we are 8 points apart in the libertarian/authoritarian scale...
M

« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2004, 09:08:26 PM »

The Mossad is not charged with protecting Jewish Institutions Worldwide, only the state of Israel. Really it shows the weakness of Argentine security services, the reach of Hezbollah and Iranian terror, or, some would say, Menem's ties to certain unsavory Islamic figures.
YoMartin
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2004, 09:41:03 PM »

The Mossad is not charged with protecting Jewish Institutions Worldwide, only the state of Israel. Really it shows the weakness of Argentine security services, the reach of Hezbollah and Iranian terror, or, some would say, Menem's ties to certain unsavory Islamic figures.

I think any secret service tries to protect its own embassies (the legal responsability belongs to Argentine authorities, but Iīm sure they have some agents in a city that has one of the largest jewish communities in the world), or to investigate better than what they did here. But, againl, Iīm not questioning the efficiency of Mossad, Iīm just saying that no government should have the right to eliminate people according to its likes and dislikes.
M

« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2004, 09:58:41 PM »

Governments should not have the right to kill random people. But remember, this is several hundred body bags later. And it will most likely end up saving lives in the long run. This is the same reason I think Truman was right to nuke Japan, and Chamberlain was wrong to start the war early. In the long run, this would have saved lives.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2004, 12:04:23 AM »

And there should DEFINITELY be a wall/fence along the entire length of the border. I'd stop letting the Palis in as workers, too - let them, in their new independent state, deal with their own problems, and not export them like, say, Mexico does.

Now I realise why we are 8 points apart in the libertarian/authoritarian scale...

Yep. Smiley  Note that I'm closer to the center than you are. Wink I also took the Political Quiz Show, and ended up at 25, a little bit right-of-center...

I don't think, after all the civilian Israeli noncombatants that the Palis *deliberately* killed (often by using Israel's desire for cheap labor) that the Palis have any *right* to enter Israel proper. It takes quite a twisted outlook to, as the Palis do, simultaneously call for the destruction of Israel and ALSO complain that Israel doesn't let them in to work...  Huh

And given how effective the wall/fence has been in preventing Pali suicide bombers, damn straight the Israelis need it! Cool
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2004, 01:33:15 AM »

I'm sure you've all seen this before, but the 'spiritual leader' of Hamas, Scheyk (English spelling?) Yassin, was killed yesterday by Israeli forces...and it seems to have triggered a new rise in activity on both sides. Though I suppose we should all be happy to see him go, a more imortant question might be how this will affect the peace process. Any thoughts?

It makes the final, necessary fight-to-the-death between the two peoples that much closer.  I like it.

You like the fact that a lot of people will die? That's pretty disgusting...

On the issue, it seems likely that the spiral of violence will just keep on going...at least fighting Hamas is better than fighting the PLO, if Hamas were wiped out things would be a lot easier.

No, I like the fact that the issue will be resolved.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2004, 10:22:31 AM »

I'm sure you've all seen this before, but the 'spiritual leader' of Hamas, Scheyk (English spelling?) Yassin, was killed yesterday by Israeli forces...and it seems to have triggered a new rise in activity on both sides. Though I suppose we should all be happy to see him go, a more imortant question might be how this will affect the peace process. Any thoughts?

It makes the final, necessary fight-to-the-death between the two peoples that much closer.  I like it.

On the issue, it seems likely that the spiral of violence will just keep on going...at least fighting Hamas is better than fighting the PLO, if Hamas were wiped out things would be a lot easier.

It won't. Sure, if one side, persumably the ISraelis, killed all Palestinians, but I don't see that happening. I think Israel is too civilized for the kind of ethnic cleansing that it would take. And it's hardly doable anyway. Not even in places like Rwanda did wars actualyl resolve the conflict.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2004, 10:24:14 AM »

I think any secret service tries to protect its own embassies (the legal responsability belongs to Argentine authorities, but Iīm sure they have some agents in a city that has one of the largest jewish communities in the world), or to investigate better than what they did here. But, againl, Iīm not questioning the efficiency of Mossad, Iīm just saying that no government should have the right to eliminate people according to its likes and dislikes.

Most countries have a security service (BSS in Britain for example) to protect the country against terrorists, etc and an intelligence service to gather intelligence. The latter, SIS, CIA, KGB, Mossad, BND, etc are usually more famous. Some also have military intelligence services, such as DIA, GRU and so on.
YoMartin
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2004, 07:48:54 PM »

Governments should not have the right to kill random people. But remember, this is several hundred body bags later. And it will most likely end up saving lives in the long run. This is the same reason I think Truman was right to nuke Japan, and Chamberlain was wrong to start the war early. In the long run, this would have saved lives.

I donīt think this will save lives, quite the contrary. Itīs a dangerous precedent. Like many laws that are being passed in different countries.
YoMartin
« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2004, 07:54:51 PM »

Yep. Smiley  Note that I'm closer to the center than you are. Wink I also took the Political Quiz Show, and ended up at 25, a little bit right-of-center...

I don't think, after all the civilian Israeli noncombatants that the Palis *deliberately* killed (often by using Israel's desire for cheap labor) that the Palis have any *right* to enter Israel proper. It takes quite a twisted outlook to, as the Palis do, simultaneously call for the destruction of Israel and ALSO complain that Israel doesn't let them in to work...  Huh

And given how effective the wall/fence has been in preventing Pali suicide bombers, damn straight the Israelis need it! Cool

Sometimes itīs better to be apart from the centre... Or what the creators of the quiz regard as "the centre".

Israel has killed many civilians too. In fact, itīs a country thatīs violated more UN resolutions in the last decades than, say, Iraq... Iīm against the wall, but I realise why many people support it. But you seem to endorse a wall dividing Mexico from the US, and I donīt see the point there.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2004, 08:05:10 PM »

It won't. Sure, if one side, persumably the ISraelis, killed all Palestinians, but I don't see that happening. I think Israel is too civilized for the kind of ethnic cleansing that it would take. And it's hardly doable anyway. Not even in places like Rwanda did wars actualyl resolve the conflict.

Until one side either kills or demographically absorbs the other side there'll just be more of the same ongoing low level war.  If you think about the major political and cultural changes throughout history, they always involved quite a lot of genocide, or at least loss of much of the male population in war.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies