Leisure Suit Larry video game banned in Australia (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:25:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Leisure Suit Larry video game banned in Australia (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Leisure Suit Larry video game banned in Australia  (Read 10330 times)
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« on: December 06, 2004, 05:28:35 PM »

Wow, I guess Australia is pretty socially conservative. I can't believe they actually make the possession of a video game illegal. What facism!

----------

Leisure Suit Larry banned in Australia

Aussie government says Magna Cum Laude won't be coming at all to gamers in Oz.
Try as he might, Larry Lovage won't be going Down Under anytime soon--Leisure Suit Larry: Magna Cum Laude has been blocked from entry into Australia. Various Australian news agencies reported last week that the Office of Film and Literature Classification, the branch of the Australian government that rates all video games that enter the country, has banned the title.

The report issued by the office indicates that the game's sexual content, specifically the cinematic scenes that feature "obscured and/or implied sexual activity and obscured and partial nudity involving stylised, animated characters."

Earlier this year, the office refused to classify Rockstar's gory slasher Manhunt. It is now illegal to import, rent, or sell either game in Australia.

Published by Vivendi Universal for the PC, PlayStation 2, and Xbox, Leisure Suit Larry: Magna Cum Laude represents the rebirth of the classic adventure game series published by Sierra On-Line in the 1980s and 1990s. It is legal in the United States.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2004, 12:44:32 AM »

Is it? That's cool. I haven't gotten it yet. I have all of the old LSLs. I'm just too cheap to plonk down 40-50 bucks for a game, I usually wait until they are a few years old and under 20 dollars.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2004, 04:48:44 AM »

nym,

You really don't understand your terminology.

Liberals believe that the state should be the nanny for us all, while conservatives believe that free people can make their own choices (with parents being recognized as the ultimate decision makers for children).

Remember, Australia has banned private possession of firarms (a policy opposed by every real conservative).

My terminology was correct as it applies to the USA and the way the labels are used today. Conservatives, not liberals, would want a game banned because it includes too much sex. That being said, Australia is apparently a lot more socially conservative than America, and even the vast majority of American conservatives wouldn't support banning video games.

I concur with Gabu's comments; I certainly don't agree with your characterization of a liberal and I know that most others don't, as well. Liberals are not for big government, we are for government cooperating with citizens to bring about a better world. We want to promote responsibility and trust people to make good decisions, hence why we are not socially authoritarian. At the same time we recognize that corporations and businesses must have sensible checks and balances against them to prevent them from exploiting workers in a way that is not good for society as a whole, and to encourage more competition rather than stifling the free market.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2004, 04:03:21 PM »

Howard did this to get the votes of the Family First party; the majority of Aussies don't even know it is happenning-but those who do overwhelmingly dissaprove.

It isn't exactly Howard's doing, and he wouldn't need to do this to get Family First votes, he already has thier support for the most part.

You can still buy them over the internet(that's the way I purchased Grand Theft Auto), although this game doesn't look like it's worth the shipping cost.

Is that legal though? The article mentioned that the importation of the game is illegal, though I suppose if no one actually opens the package and checks, you can at least get the game this way and no one will find out. It seems as though the possession, sale, or importation of the game is illegal.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2004, 12:24:26 AM »

Howard did this to get the votes of the Family First party; the majority of Aussies don't even know it is happenning-but those who do overwhelmingly dissaprove.

It isn't exactly Howard's doing, and he wouldn't need to do this to get Family First votes, he already has thier support for the most part.

You can still buy them over the internet(that's the way I purchased Grand Theft Auto), although this game doesn't look like it's worth the shipping cost.

Is that legal though? The article mentioned that the importation of the game is illegal, though I suppose if no one actually opens the package and checks, you can at least get the game this way and no one will find out. It seems as though the possession, sale, or importation of the game is illegal.

It's not legal, but the law is unenforcable. It just costs more because you have to pay for the overseas shipping.

Well that's good that at least they don't open your mail, or search your hard drive.

I would also hope that the punishment for possession of it isn't too severe. Just a small fine, maybe?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies