Leisure Suit Larry video game banned in Australia (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:30:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Leisure Suit Larry video game banned in Australia (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Leisure Suit Larry video game banned in Australia  (Read 10320 times)
J-Mann
United States

« on: December 08, 2004, 12:49:08 AM »

No. Conservatives pretend that they object to social issues for reasons that they don't actually care that much about ("marriage is between a man and a woman!")

On that issue, I'd agree.  Of course, I'm pro-gay rights, and I know that a lot of conservatives around here are against gay marriage because they hate homosexuals and homosexuality; plain and simple.  The same would go for conservatives who want creation taught in public schools.  They say they want creation to be given equal time with evolution, but in reality, they want a religious point of view pushed onto public school students, some of whom may be unsuspecting.

BUT, there are certainly social issues that we (conservatives) care deeply about and have no hidden agenda on.  Abortion and gun control would be two that immediately come to mind. 
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2004, 08:30:57 AM »

I always just rent all of my games.  Much cheaper, especially when they only take two or three days to complete.

Only rent!?  Two or three days!?  You're either a really good gamer or put in some serious time within those couple of days! Smiley

I hardly ever play games anymore (did a lot when I was a kid though), and the last game I bought (before just recently) was Metroid Prime.  In fact, I bought a Game Cube for it!  The last game I rented was Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, which I then bought after I rented it twice.  It took me a bit less than two weeks to complete it, putting about two hours a day on it.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2004, 09:08:49 AM »
« Edited: December 08, 2004, 02:00:56 PM by J-Mann »

nym,

You really don't understand your terminology.

Liberals believe that the state should be the nanny for us all, while conservatives believe that free people can make their own choices (with parents being recognized as the ultimate decision makers for children).
That's a good definition of the two terms' most basic meanings - except you got "Liberal" and "Conservative" reversed.
Then again, current American language use and political alignments mean you're right on quite a number of issues.

I think the definitions of liberal and conservative really depend on the issue that you're talking about.  Sometimes conservatives do want the "state to be a nanny".  Other times they certainly don't.  The same goes for liberals.  No one should try to force liberals and conservatives into one definition or the other, because it just doesn't work that way.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2004, 02:01:39 PM »

Why can't they have fun in an even MORE old-fashioned way, and just go get laid?

Oy...who has the energy anymore? (Sigh)
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2004, 09:26:31 AM »

I think the definitions of liberal and conservative really depend on the issue that you're talking about.  Sometimes conservatives do want the "state to be a nanny".  Other times they certainly don't.  The same goes for liberals.  No one should try to force liberals and conservatives into one definition or the other, because it just doesn't work that way.

THANK YOU!

Finally, someone says it.

It's a no-brainer, really.  I'm surprised so many people either A) can't see this, or B) don't want to see this.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies