Leisure Suit Larry video game banned in Australia
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:02:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Leisure Suit Larry video game banned in Australia
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Leisure Suit Larry video game banned in Australia  (Read 10255 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2004, 12:34:08 PM »
« edited: December 08, 2004, 12:40:46 PM by BRTD »

who defended the sodomy laws prior to Lawrence v. Texas and kept them on the books? Who whined about that court decision removing them? Who's sponsoring that bill in Alabama to censor books with "gay" content?

not liberals.
Hitchabrut
republicanjew18

Political Matrix
E: 8.38, S: 7.49

« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2004, 12:42:32 PM »

Good. Why can't people have fun the old-fashioned way, by playing violent video games?
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2004, 01:54:41 PM »

Why can't they have fun in an even MORE old-fashioned way, and just go get laid?
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2004, 02:01:39 PM »

Why can't they have fun in an even MORE old-fashioned way, and just go get laid?

Oy...who has the energy anymore? (Sigh)
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2004, 07:31:37 PM »

nym,

You really don't understand your terminology.

Liberals believe that the state should be the nanny for us all, while conservatives believe that free people can make their own choices (with parents being recognized as the ultimate decision makers for children).
That's a good definition of the two terms' most basic meanings - except you got "Liberal" and "Conservative" reversed.
Then again, current American language use and political alignments mean you're right on quite a number of issues.

I think the definitions of liberal and conservative really depend on the issue that you're talking about.  Sometimes conservatives do want the "state to be a nanny".  Other times they certainly don't.  The same goes for liberals.  No one should try to force liberals and conservatives into one definition or the other, because it just doesn't work that way.

Might I suggest that you confuse 'populists' with 'conservatives.'

Populists frequently despise 'liberals,' and want more government control in selected areas.   

Real 'conservatives' generally want the government to 'but out' in most areas, leaving adults responsible for themselves, and parents with control over their children.
Baggy Green
Spin Doctor
Rookie
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2004, 08:01:09 PM »

Howard did this to get the votes of the Family First party; the majority of Aussies don't even know it is happenning-but those who do overwhelmingly dissaprove.

It isn't exactly Howard's doing, and he wouldn't need to do this to get Family First votes, he already has thier support for the most part.

You can still buy them over the internet(that's the way I purchased Grand Theft Auto), although this game doesn't look like it's worth the shipping cost.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2004, 08:04:39 PM »

Australia keeps going over they edge. Snuff is banned there as well.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2004, 11:05:38 PM »

nym,

Liberals believe that the state should be the nanny for us all, while conservatives believe that free people can make their own choices (with parents being recognized as the ultimate decision makers for children).
That's a good definition of the two terms' most basic meanings - except you got "Liberal" and "Conservative" reversed.
Then again, current American language use and political alignments mean you're right on quite a number of issues.

I think the definitions of liberal and conservative really depend on the issue that you're talking about.  Sometimes conservatives do want the "state to be a nanny".  Other times they certainly don't.  The same goes for liberals.  No one should try to force liberals and conservatives into one definition or the other, because it just doesn't work that way.

Might I suggest that you confuse 'populists' with 'conservatives.'

Populists frequently despise 'liberals,' and want more government control in selected areas.   

Real 'conservatives' generally want the government to 'but out' in most areas, leaving adults responsible for themselves, and parents with control over their children.

no, you're confusing libertarians with conservatives.

answer me: who are the ones who wanted to keep sodomy laws, whined about Lawrence v. Texas and now are trying to ban books with "gay" content? Not liberals.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2004, 12:45:26 AM »

Populists!
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2004, 12:51:52 AM »

Populists and conservatives, unlike libertarians and liberals, have nearly identical views on social issues for very similar reasons - moral standards. Libertarians and liberals have similar, but not identical views (i.e. gun control) but for totally different reasons.

Both populists and conservatives supported this, but not every one of either. It is also worth noting that it is rare to see an extreme populist - even in states like West Virginia, most are just as socially conservative as Kentucky state and economically liberal as New York, at most.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2004, 01:23:54 AM »

nym,

THANK YOU!

Finally, someone says it.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2004, 02:50:55 AM »

Populists and conservatives, unlike libertarians and liberals, have nearly identical views on social issues for very similar reasons - moral standards. Libertarians and liberals have similar, but not identical views (i.e. gun control) but for totally different reasons.

Both populists and conservatives supported this, but not every one of either. It is also worth noting that it is rare to see an extreme populist - even in states like West Virginia, most are just as socially conservative as Kentucky state and economically liberal as New York, at most.

Kentucky is a bad example of a conservative state; with a few exceptions [South Central KY and all the suburbs] it's a populist state as well.
Use Utah as an example in future Wink
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2004, 09:26:31 AM »

THANK YOU!

Finally, someone says it.

It's a no-brainer, really.  I'm surprised so many people either A) can't see this, or B) don't want to see this.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2004, 12:15:19 PM »

While conservatives and populists may take a similiar position on a specific issue, the basis for the position is different and they differ on many other issues.

Let me give you a number of specific areas:

Populists over the course of American history have had wild (emotionally based swings) between 'imperialist' and 'isolationism.'  Conservatives by contrast favor a foreign policy based on the twin principles of 'national interest' and 'ethical' conduct.

Populists have over thc course of American history also swung wildly on matters of national defense.  Populists for example would favor a 'draft' while conservatives would oppose this (they would quote the thoughts of B.H. Liddell Hart on this matter).

Populists have favored economic policies of redistribution of the wealth, opposed by conservatives.

Populists have favored banning groups and ideas with which they disagree, whereas conservatives prefer to point out the factual errors, fallacies, and unethical basis for ideas/groups with which they disagree.

Populists favor unfettered majority rule, where conservatives prefer a system where government is limited in scope, and a simple majority cannot deprive citizens of their rights.

This is just brief overview of the conceptional differences between conservatives and populists.  There are many specific issues on which they disagree, and some issues on which they take the same side (much as the United States was allied with the Soviet Union in World War II) when confronting the forces of marauding liberalism.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2004, 04:03:21 PM »

Howard did this to get the votes of the Family First party; the majority of Aussies don't even know it is happenning-but those who do overwhelmingly dissaprove.

It isn't exactly Howard's doing, and he wouldn't need to do this to get Family First votes, he already has thier support for the most part.

You can still buy them over the internet(that's the way I purchased Grand Theft Auto), although this game doesn't look like it's worth the shipping cost.

Is that legal though? The article mentioned that the importation of the game is illegal, though I suppose if no one actually opens the package and checks, you can at least get the game this way and no one will find out. It seems as though the possession, sale, or importation of the game is illegal.
Baggy Green
Spin Doctor
Rookie
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2004, 04:07:43 PM »

Is that legal though? The article mentioned that the importation of the game is illegal, though I suppose if no one actually opens the package and checks, you can at least get the game this way and no one will find out. It seems as though the possession, sale, or importation of the game is illegal.

It's not legal, but the law is unenforcable. It just costs more because you have to pay for the overseas shipping.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2004, 12:24:26 AM »

It's not legal, but the law is unenforcable. It just costs more because you have to pay for the overseas shipping.

Well that's good that at least they don't open your mail, or search your hard drive.

I would also hope that the punishment for possession of it isn't too severe. Just a small fine, maybe?
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2004, 05:21:51 AM »

They wouldn't car about possession Tongue

BTW, Nym, we aren't more conservative. On one issue, a pressure group got its way; and anyone who still wants the game can get it.

Look at the issues that americans define as important, and basically anyone would say AUstralia is less socially conservative-Abortion, Gun Ownership, Eduation, Public Health, etc.

Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies