Let's Name Names (Republicans)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:53:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Let's Name Names (Republicans)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Let's Name Names (Republicans)  (Read 7417 times)
dca5347
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2004, 01:50:13 PM »

Guliani may run, but I doubt a pro-gay rights, pro-choice, pro-gun control candidate is going to win the GOP primary

I totally agree,and this is why there is no need to amend the Constitution for "Arnuld" either
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2004, 08:15:38 PM »

Hmmm....Republicans I could *possibly*support...
Well, Angus immediately comes to mind.
And Angus of course.
Not to forget Angus.
Apart from that...hmmm...two more to go...Angus maybe, tho I doubt he'd run.
And did I mention Angus?
That's five.
And I think those are the only five.
Smiley

I thank you for the endorsement.

and you're on my short list for Grünenpartei nominees as well.  Smiley

I still like Giuliani.  Sort of.  But given that Ford and I are the only two republicans on this forum can spell his name, I think youze might as well write him off.  Last time we had a guy in the white house with more than two syllables it was a catholic.  Damn catholics.  No wonder they never win.  The jews at least had the decency to largely anglicize their names.  Bruchs?  Well, you're Brooks now.  Still, names that end in vowels do remind me of Vegas.  Let's call him RG for short.  Maybe win a few urban votes on that alone.  Yo, G-man in the house!  (oops, we're talking about the GOP primaries.  Okay, better stick with Giuliani)
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2004, 04:22:22 AM »

What about Condi? Pataki would be lucky to be reelected in 06, McCain is too old, and why not Powell?
ian

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -1.39

« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2004, 01:24:11 PM »

I'm confuzed about why people like Santorum.  He's really far right-wing (except on Affirmative Action).  Do you think that he could win b/c people see him as a moderate b/c he's from Pennsylvania?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2004, 03:06:26 PM »

I'm confuzed about why people like Santorum.  He's really far right-wing (except on Affirmative Action).  Do you think that he could win b/c people see him as a moderate b/c he's from Pennsylvania?

Santorum is not extreme. Look at his voting record.

Also, Santorum isn't seen as a moderate. Everyone knows he's a conservative.
Dr. Cynic
Lawrence Watson
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2004, 05:00:52 PM »

Colin Powell I would actually vote for, same for Rudy Guiliani. Other Repubs I could stand would be McCain and Mitt Romney.
ian

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2004, 04:23:46 PM »

I have looked at his voting record, and I find it to be extreme.  If you look at it, every single partisan vote is conservative, except one time (of the 2 chances he got) to sustain affirmative action.  That is extreme.
And people that aren't political buffs (like us) see Santorum as being moderate.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2004, 10:59:19 AM »

I have looked at his voting record, and I find it to be extreme.  If you look at it, every single partisan vote is conservative, except one time (of the 2 chances he got) to sustain affirmative action.  That is extreme.
And people that aren't political buffs (like us) see Santorum as being moderate.

People that aren't political buffs know Santorum is conservative. It's hard not to see that.

Now if every single partisan vote he casts is conservative, that would make him a conservative. He's not far right wing.

This argument reminds me of the time when another member of this forum tried to label me as a far right winger. The member asked me a for my position on abortion. I said that I was opposed to abortion except in the most extreme cases (rape and life of the mother). You know what the person told me? My view on abortion is extreme. Now tell me that's not laughable.
ian

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2004, 02:21:41 PM »

People that aren't political buffs know Santorum is conservative. It's hard not to see that.

Now if every single partisan vote he casts is conservative, that would make him a conservative. He's not far right wing.

This argument reminds me of the time when another member of this forum tried to label me as a far right winger. The member asked me a for my position on abortion. I said that I was opposed to abortion except in the most extreme cases (rape and life of the mother). You know what the person told me? My view on abortion is extreme. Now tell me that's not laughable.

Your opinion about abortion isn't extreme.  Conservatives typically hold that view; however, if one holds a Conservative viewpoint on every issue, that makes him/her extreme.  And I feel the same way about the left.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2004, 06:30:01 PM »

Your opinion about abortion isn't extreme.  Conservatives typically hold that view; however, if one holds a Conservative viewpoint on every issue, that makes him/her extreme.  And I feel the same way about the left.

So you're saying that for someone to stay away from the extremist title, they have to have a position from the other end of the political spectrum?
ian

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2004, 07:55:13 PM »

So you're saying that for someone to stay away from the extremist title, they have to have a position from the other end of the political spectrum?

Yes, and probably more than one.  But there really is no use in debating one's personal definition of the word, extreme.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2005, 11:38:05 PM »
« Edited: February 07, 2005, 11:39:39 PM by Proud Liberal »

i'm curious as to why such prominent moderate and maverick Republicans like George Pataki, Arnold Schwarznegger (sp?), Colin Powell, Rudy Giuliani, John McCain, and others are being floated about as possible Republican presidential nominees when there is no chance that either will win the heart of the rightwing evangelical Christian grassroots that are the base of the Republican Party.  one would think that given the make-up of the current Republican Party that such rightwing conservatives like Senators George Allen of Virginia, or Rick Santorum of Pennsylvania (assuming either don't lose their seats two years hence) would be the only serious contenders.  back in my younger, more conservative years (i.e. 1999-2000), i supported Arizona Sen. John McCain for the Republican presidential nomination.  he was a decorated war hero from the Vietnam War, as well as a reformer.  he was far more inspirational than Texas Gov. George W. Bush (whom even then when i was still a Republican, i despised as a pampered spoiled brat) and it is he whom i wanted to win the Republican presidential nomination.  needless to say, he lost to Bush by a landslide despite the brave efforts he put up early on.  given this, i don't see any chance for a moderate to win the Republican nomination in 2008, and i do not understand why anyone would think they would -so why mention them?   
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2005, 06:49:13 PM »

John Kyl
Mitt Romney
Jeb Bush
George Allen

Replace Kyl with Gov. Haley Barbour (as the VP) and that would be my list, too
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2005, 03:00:12 PM »

I think if I wanted an isolationist to contrast with the Reagan-Bush-Clinton-Bush imperialistic era, I'd go with Buchanan, but of course he'd never win.  Imperialism sells.

I think if I went for an inside-the-box inoffensive middle-of-the-party Republican I'd go with Hutcheson (sp?)  But she'd never win either.  She's a girl.  Like hillary, but without that hideous large ankle, man-look that hillary has.

I think if I wanted after my own fashion, I'd go with Ron Paul (R-TX).  Like Buchanan, and Hutcheson, he wouldn't win either.

I think if I wanted to contrast with the democrats, or pirouette off of Hillary or whatever judgemental loudmouth the democrats put up, I'd go with Arlen Specter.  But he cannot win either, since he pissed off too many GOP types.

I think if I wanted a military man with a keen understanding of how to be imperialistic without looking imperialistic, I'd go with Colin Powell.  But he won't win either.  He's almost black.  Black enough anyway that he probably wouldn't win.

I think if I wanted to go for a winner, I'd suggest Giuliani.

For the dems, I'd go with a corn-fed farmboy type.  Not too hotheaded like Gore.  Not too manly like Hillary.  Not too venal and opportunistic like Edwards.  Maybe that Evan Bayh.

Actually, that'd be a nice study in stylistic contrasts:  Giuliani vs. Bayh.  As for policy differences, who knows?  You can never tell what they'll be like once they start running for national office.  Certainly candidates for president often bear little political resemblance to their former incarnations as legislators or governors.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2005, 03:06:21 PM »

Of the aforementioned, I'd consider voting for Giuliani, Powell, Paul, Hutcheson, Buchanan, or Bayh.  But then again, don't alienate others just to win my vote.  Go with the middle.  Hutcheson or Giuliani.  Stay away from Buchanan.  There are other republicans and democrats who could win my vote as well.  I was just naming a few.  Probably want to stay away from Ron Paul as well.  He'd win my vote and a handful of others, like the ted kazinsky types and the libertarians, but that's about it.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2005, 03:13:39 PM »

White anglo-saxon protestant farmboy versus white anglo-saxon protestant farmboy, both centrists, both mediocre:

Bayh vs. Hagel

Nice.  No stylistic or policy differences.  No body gets mad.  Everybody votes strictly down party lines.  Swing voters stay home.  It's like a Canadian election, sort of, but with out democracy to get in the way and muck things up.

Hagel:  283
Bayh:  255

any takers?
No more McShame
FuturePrez R-AZ

« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2005, 12:38:09 AM »

List of five No particular order.

1. Gov. Bill Owens
2. Sen. George Allen
3. Gov. Mark Sanford
4. Gov. Jeb Bush (though I believe him when he says he won't run)
5. Sec of St. Dr. Condelezza Rice
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies