Canadian Election Results Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:03:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canadian Election Results Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Canadian Election Results Thread  (Read 147239 times)
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« on: May 02, 2011, 08:25:51 PM »

Didn't the NDP have a seat in NB?

Acadie—Bathurst.  Would be a shock if NDP were losing there.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 08:32:40 PM »

Er, okay, now apparently the website isn't streaming until 10pm. Liars.

Ah no rite Angry
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 08:36:02 PM »

Er, okay, now apparently the website isn't streaming until 10pm. Liars.

Ah no rite Angry

You might be able to get CBC on TV... I'm not sure if you've got it in cable at MSU that carries CBC, but we do in Mt. Pleasant.

Eh, I don't have a TV set up in my room.  Lemme check if there's one in the common room that's open.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 01:52:03 PM »

Canadians pronounce Ottawa weird. Aaw-tow-waah
How else would you pronounce it?

I mean, I pronounced it Ottavah as a kid, as most Germans would, but for the past 17 years I've not dreamt of any other way than the one you describe. It is an anglicization of Outaoua, after all.

Probably the second vowel, which is for me an unstressed schwa (like the first vowel in "about") unless you really, really force it.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 02:23:03 PM »

It takes color from the w, hence why it's not quite a schwa sound. Much as the o does in names like Howard etc.

Nah, the vowel in the first syllable of "Howard" isn't a schwa; it's the same as the one in "house" or "doubt", the diphthong [aw].
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 04:49:47 PM »

Also, ilikeverin, in Canadian English "Howard" does not start with the same vowel as "house" or "doubt" (except the verb "house" with the voiced consonant). Canadian English raising before voiceless consonants is one of the its most distinctive features, hence all the "aboot" jokes.

Well, o/c.  I myself have Canadian raising before voiceless consonants for /aj/ Smiley But there's nothing schwa-like in the first syllable of "Howard", unless you're from way in the olden days when apparently /aw/ was always [əw].

More like a "real" a than an aw, I'd have said. But that distinction often gets blurred in Americans too, so...

Ah, yes.  Don't try to tell a Canadian or Californian that "cot" and "caught" can be pronounced differently, or else they'll get quite confused about why anyone would ever say such a thing Grin  (For that matter, don't try to tell me.  Stupid Michiganders and their stupid lack of a merger! Angry)
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 10:56:51 PM »

Is it like the different way british people pronounce "Knotty" and "Naughty"

Correct!  If by "British" you also mean "most everyone outside of Canada and anywhere in blue on this map".

Also, ilikeverin, in Canadian English "Howard" does not start with the same vowel as "house" or "doubt" (except the verb "house" with the voiced consonant). Canadian English raising before voiceless consonants is one of the its most distinctive features, hence all the "aboot" jokes.

Well, o/c.  I myself have Canadian raising before voiceless consonants for /aj/ Smiley But there's nothing schwa-like in the first syllable of "Howard", unless you're from way in the olden days when apparently /aw/ was always [əw].

More like a "real" a than an aw, I'd have said. But that distinction often gets blurred in Americans too, so...

Ah, yes.  Don't try to tell a Canadian or Californian that "cot" and "caught" can be pronounced differently, or else they'll get quite confused about why anyone would ever say such a thing Grin  (For that matter, don't try to tell me.  Stupid Michiganders and their stupid lack of a merger! Angry)

I really don't have any idea how they could possibly be pronounced differently.

ME NEITHER.  But Michiganders keep insisting they can be!  And sometimes when I try to make fun of them for their vowel shift I [a] when I should [ɒ] and it sounds funny Sad

The first one's actually /ɑ/, the unrounded version.  Michiganders usually have [a] for /ɑ/ and [ɒ] for /ɔ/.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies