Canadian Election Results Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:40:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canadian Election Results Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 45
Author Topic: Canadian Election Results Thread  (Read 145767 times)
Linus Van Pelt

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #625 on: May 03, 2011, 04:08:47 PM »

If I might be allowed the first native speaker intervention into this incredibly confused discussion, the issue is the third (i.e. last) syllable, which internationals pronounce as a schwa "a" like in "Maria" but which Anglophone Canadians pronounce as "-aw". As I am from Ontario, "Ottawa" rhymes in my idiolect with "saw", "macaw", etc.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #626 on: May 03, 2011, 04:10:06 PM »

More like a "real" a than an aw, I'd have said. But that distinction often gets blurred in Americans too, so...
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #627 on: May 03, 2011, 04:11:59 PM »

Yes, if you're a posh southern Englander (or a continental English teacher trying to emulate such), it's less like "law" than, well, "far" Tongue
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #628 on: May 03, 2011, 04:14:16 PM »
« Edited: May 03, 2011, 04:15:56 PM by José Peterson »

Also, ilikeverin, in Canadian English "Howard" does not start with the same vowel as "house" or "doubt" (except the verb "house" with the voiced consonant). Canadian English raising before voiceless consonants is one of the its most distinctive features, hence all the "aboot" jokes.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #629 on: May 03, 2011, 04:45:41 PM »

Wow, what a crazy night. At lot of upsets! And squeakers. So much close NDP races, especially in the GTA and Saskatchewan. Sad The NDP did pretty well in Toronto, and especially the Conservatives too. Or perhaps, the Liberals seriously underperformed. Of course, I hate the results, but a potential realignment election is always fun.

I'm sad Timmins-James Bay swung away from the NDP. Sad But honestly, where did the Conservatives' strength (for lack of a better term) come from in the riding? I honestly have seen no Conservative lawn signs anywhere here in Timmins. Many NDP signs, and a few Liberal ones. Strange. Also, lol at York West. Now the most Liberal riding in Toronto? That's where I live during school... I hate the MP there.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #630 on: May 03, 2011, 04:49:47 PM »

Also, ilikeverin, in Canadian English "Howard" does not start with the same vowel as "house" or "doubt" (except the verb "house" with the voiced consonant). Canadian English raising before voiceless consonants is one of the its most distinctive features, hence all the "aboot" jokes.

Well, o/c.  I myself have Canadian raising before voiceless consonants for /aj/ Smiley But there's nothing schwa-like in the first syllable of "Howard", unless you're from way in the olden days when apparently /aw/ was always [əw].

More like a "real" a than an aw, I'd have said. But that distinction often gets blurred in Americans too, so...

Ah, yes.  Don't try to tell a Canadian or Californian that "cot" and "caught" can be pronounced differently, or else they'll get quite confused about why anyone would ever say such a thing Grin  (For that matter, don't try to tell me.  Stupid Michiganders and their stupid lack of a merger! Angry)
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #631 on: May 03, 2011, 07:29:51 PM »

It seems that last night's election confirms that once again Alberta is the best Canadian province. Smiley
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #632 on: May 03, 2011, 08:27:39 PM »

It seems that last night's election confirms that once again Alberta is the best Canadian province. Smiley

hurrr.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #633 on: May 03, 2011, 08:36:27 PM »

Well, o/c.  I myself have Canadian raising before voiceless consonants for /aj/ Smiley But there's nothing schwa-like in the first syllable of "Howard", unless you're from way in the olden days when apparently /aw/ was always [əw].

Ah, yes.  Don't try to tell a Canadian or Californian that "cot" and "caught" can be pronounced differently, or else they'll get quite confused about why anyone would ever say such a thing Grin  (For that matter, don't try to tell me.  Stupid Michiganders and their stupid lack of a merger! Angry)

I really don't have any idea how they could possibly be pronounced differently.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

« Reply #634 on: May 03, 2011, 08:48:42 PM »

Well, o/c.  I myself have Canadian raising before voiceless consonants for /aj/ Smiley But there's nothing schwa-like in the first syllable of "Howard", unless you're from way in the olden days when apparently /aw/ was always [əw].

Ah, yes.  Don't try to tell a Canadian or Californian that "cot" and "caught" can be pronounced differently, or else they'll get quite confused about why anyone would ever say such a thing Grin  (For that matter, don't try to tell me.  Stupid Michiganders and their stupid lack of a merger! Angry)

True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #635 on: May 03, 2011, 09:43:38 PM »

cot /kɒt/
caught /kɔt/

The two are very similar vowels, and in those dialects where there is no longer a distinct difference in vowel length between the two words, I suspect the merger is inevitable.  But the way I pronounce them, they are quite distinct words.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #636 on: May 03, 2011, 10:19:21 PM »

How do you pronounce ɒ and ɔ
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #637 on: May 03, 2011, 10:21:02 PM »

Is it like the different way british people pronounce "Knotty" and "Naughty"
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #638 on: May 03, 2011, 10:56:51 PM »

Correct!  If by "British" you also mean "most everyone outside of Canada and anywhere in blue on this map".

ME NEITHER.  But Michiganders keep insisting they can be!  And sometimes when I try to make fun of them for their vowel shift I [a] when I should [ɒ] and it sounds funny Sad

The first one's actually /ɑ/, the unrounded version.  Michiganders usually have [a] for /ɑ/ and [ɒ] for /ɔ/.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #639 on: May 04, 2011, 12:09:06 AM »

Back to the results...

Recount scheduled for Montmagny--L'Islet--Kamouraska--Rivière-du-Loup. NDP leads the Conservatives by five votes.
Foucaulf
« Reply #640 on: May 04, 2011, 12:53:24 AM »

Back to the results...

Recount scheduled for Montmagny--L'Islet--Kamouraska--Rivière-du-Loup. NDP leads the Conservatives by five votes.

CBC and other sources say CON incumbent Bernard Généreux is leading by 110 votes. This does not qualify for an automatic recount, but the NDP has paid for a requested one.

Where did you get "NDP leading by 5 votes" from?
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #641 on: May 04, 2011, 12:57:22 AM »

Back to the results...

CBC and other sources say CON incumbent Bernard Généreux is leading by 110 votes. This does not qualify for an automatic recount, but the NDP has paid for a requested one.

http://enr.elections.ca/JudicialRecount_e.aspx
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #642 on: May 04, 2011, 03:50:07 AM »

Back to the results...

You should follow my blog, I reported this hours ago.
Nichlemn

« Reply #643 on: May 04, 2011, 07:49:49 AM »

Why did the Tories do so well in New Brunswick? They won 8/10 seats. The last three elections they won 6, 3 and 2 seats respectively. I heard 2008 was due to Dion's Green Tax Shift, but why did it get even worse for them, especially since the Liberal vote held up quite well in the rest of Atlantic Canada?
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #644 on: May 04, 2011, 07:51:36 AM »

National Journal has a nice map of the results in the Ridings:

http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/05/03/infographic-how-canada-voted/
Nichlemn

« Reply #645 on: May 04, 2011, 07:55:06 AM »
« Edited: May 04, 2011, 08:09:20 AM by Nichlemn »

Ominous trends for Liberal Irwin Cotler in Mount Royal (Pierre Trudeau's old seat, once considered the most Liberal in Canada):

1999 by-election: 92%
2000: 81%
2004: 76%
2006: 65%
2008: 56%
2011: 41%

Cotler beat the Conservative in 2011 by just under 6 points. If the Liberals continue to degenerate, is Mount Royal a reasonably likely Conservative pick-up in 2015?

Also, anyone else have some interesting riding trivia?
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #646 on: May 04, 2011, 09:47:26 AM »

Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #647 on: May 04, 2011, 09:52:50 AM »

I pronounce those differently, too. Weird Canadians.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #648 on: May 04, 2011, 11:21:21 AM »

Currently working on party vote maps by riding.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #649 on: May 04, 2011, 12:23:59 PM »

Good Lord: the Liberals polled just 14.8% in Lester Pearson's old fief.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 45  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies