Canadian Election Results Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 11:14:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canadian Election Results Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 45
Author Topic: Canadian Election Results Thread  (Read 145379 times)
cinyc
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #475 on: May 02, 2011, 11:38:36 PM »

Scarborough-Rouge River everyone. Scarborough-Rouge River.

Not very Rouge.  More like Orange.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #476 on: May 02, 2011, 11:40:01 PM »

So, isn't it a bit odd that Layton and Chow are both MPs?  Clearly they can't have the same "home address" if they're both MPs.

Canada doesn't require one to live in a seat to run for it. I'm not sure if they're even required to live in the province.

Ahh, I didn't realize that.  I'd still think it'd be hard to get elected if you don't live there.  Surely that must get brought up in the campaigns?

I does in more provincial areas, but not usually in the cities, at least assuming that you live somewhere in the city. (All of the Toronto MPs who play musical chairs still live Toronto; someone could get elected for a seat anywhere in Montreal provided they live somewhere in Montreal, etc.)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #477 on: May 02, 2011, 11:40:36 PM »

"You can count on us to assure that Parliament is addressing the needs of new Canadians."
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #478 on: May 02, 2011, 11:40:44 PM »

So, isn't it a bit odd that Layton and Chow are both MPs?  Clearly they can't have the same "home address" if they're both MPs.

Canada doesn't require one to live in a seat to run for it. I'm not sure if they're even required to live in the province.

Ahh, I didn't realize that.  I'd still think it'd be hard to get elected if you don't live there.  Surely that must get brought up in the campaigns?

No, not a chance. If Layton decided to run in the Yukon it would be a different story, but within Toronto no-one cares about this.

The political culture about this issue is different in Canada - often parties will try to find a safe seat for "star" candidates even if they live elsewhere, and there's a tradition of the leader of a party running in a safe seat when they lose even if it's nowhere near their home. In addition to Day as Xahar mentioned, Tommy Douglas ran in a by-election in Burnaby BC immediately after losing in Regina.

When Jean Chrétien came back to lead the Liberals after some time in the private sector and his seat was taken, the Liberal member for Beauséjour NB resigned to let Chrétien in, and they elected him even though it was revealed that he had advised during the 1980 referendum that: "if Quebec separates, it will become an armpit, like New Brunswick". Tongue
Foucaulf
« Reply #479 on: May 02, 2011, 11:42:41 PM »

I don't think anybody did well with their predictions.  I almost went heavy with the Conservative gains, but figured I'd just get mocked as a hack... should've done it! lol

Us left wingers are so out of touch with reality*!

Every election is a learning experience, though. Rooting for the NDP this time was certainly less misguided than supporting Obama and Clegg.

*I predicted 100 NDP seats, though. Do I get partial points?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #480 on: May 02, 2011, 11:44:35 PM »

Layton's got good appeal to the young Canadians.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #481 on: May 02, 2011, 11:44:48 PM »

Lawrence Joseph closed very strongly in the late polls in Desnethe, I notice. Not quite enough, but at the next election...
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #482 on: May 02, 2011, 11:46:24 PM »

Wow. I said it before, and I'll say it again. I now hate Saskatchewan. It seems it was harder for the NDP to gain Tory seats than Liberal and BQ seats.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #483 on: May 02, 2011, 11:46:57 PM »

Mourani now in the lead in Ahuntsic again. Anyone have any theories as to why she was able to hold on to her vote when every other Bloquiste in Montreal saw their supporters abandon them in droves? Mourani always struck me as a weak candidate when she was campaigning against the Liberals in the past.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #484 on: May 02, 2011, 11:47:25 PM »

Jack Layton makes a gaffe as he incorrectly identifies Canada as the greatest country in the world.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #485 on: May 02, 2011, 11:48:22 PM »

What's the margin for re-counts?
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #486 on: May 02, 2011, 11:48:33 PM »

Mourani now in the lead in Ahuntsic again. Anyone have any theories as to why she was able to hold on to her vote when every other Bloquiste in Montreal saw their supporters abandon them in droves? Mourani always struck me as a weak candidate when she was campaigning against the Liberals in the past.

That seat is just weird. Still BQ getting 4 seats instead of 3 is kind of disappointing though doesn't mean much longterm.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #487 on: May 02, 2011, 11:48:48 PM »

Awww, quoting Tommy Douglas. Grin
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #488 on: May 02, 2011, 11:49:00 PM »

Jack Layton makes a gaffe as he incorrectly identifies Canada as the greatest country in the world.

Despite this tragic night, that statement is still correct.
Foucaulf
« Reply #489 on: May 02, 2011, 11:49:13 PM »

Plot twist!

Voter turnout still decreased this election. This time, it would be more immigrants not voting than general inactivity, though I think Albertans cared little either. At least my skepticism over high advanced voter turnout was justified.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #490 on: May 02, 2011, 11:49:33 PM »

Where are you thinking there could be a recount?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #491 on: May 02, 2011, 11:49:56 PM »

What is the reason for the  cane, anyway?
Foucaulf
« Reply #492 on: May 02, 2011, 11:51:26 PM »

Elections Canada says "less than one one-thousandth of the total votes cast in the electoral district".
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #493 on: May 02, 2011, 11:52:59 PM »

I should note that carpetbagging in most non-US countries isn't all that controversial at all, also see George Galloway or Enoch Powell after being kicked out of the UK Tories running in Northern Ireland just because the UUP was the only other real conservative party...

Of course if the US had a parliamentary system it might be the same here.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #494 on: May 02, 2011, 11:53:24 PM »

Wow. I said it before, and I'll say it again. I now hate Saskatchewan.

I think you'd be better off hating the boundaries Tongue

Three heartbreakers instead of one. Is that better or worse? But a majority government (as distasteful as that is given its composition) does mean that the boundaries will change before the next election. And given the disparity between votes and seats there this time, the case for a radical redesign in Saskatchewan is pretty overwhelming.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #495 on: May 02, 2011, 11:54:27 PM »

Why is Abbotsford so hideously right wing? I can see it being right wing but like that, wow.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #496 on: May 02, 2011, 11:55:57 PM »

Wow. I said it before, and I'll say it again. I now hate Saskatchewan. It seems it was harder for the NDP to gain Tory seats than Liberal and BQ seats.

That tends to happen when a party gets more of the vote than in 2008 - versus two parties that ran significantly behind their 2008 tallies.  Conservatives had a better chance picking up Liberal seats than NDP seats, too.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #497 on: May 02, 2011, 11:56:15 PM »

Why is Abbotsford so hideously right wing? I can see it being right wing but like that, wow.

Mennonites, I think. Maybe there is some Dutch Reform spillover from Lynden, Washington, too.
DistingFlyer
Canada

Political Matrix
E: 0.25, S: -1.74

« Reply #498 on: May 02, 2011, 11:56:24 PM »

Plot twist!

Voter turnout still decreased this election. This time, it would be more immigrants not voting than general inactivity, though I think Albertans cared little either. At least my skepticism over high advanced voter turnout was justified.

Not quite - turnout is calculated from counted votes versus the number of eligible voters, even if not all the votes have been counted yet. It's currently at 57% but with a few thousand polling stations still to come I expect it will pass 60%. A rise, but a small one - certainly not the big increase a lot were predicting.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #499 on: May 02, 2011, 11:58:15 PM »

My grade 10 bio teacher said that the school board in Abbotsford cut out the sections about sex from their textbooks.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 45  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies