PPP: Obama leads them all in NC
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:57:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  2012 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls
  PPP: Obama leads them all in NC
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: PPP: Obama leads them all in NC  (Read 4684 times)
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2011, 11:07:19 PM »

I believe this poll. North Carolina is changing fast.

Yes, it sad.  Liberals are fleeing the northeast after their policies have made those states uninhabitable and they're invading the conservative south and taking their moronic politics with them.  Just stay in New York!

Uninhabitable? Take a good look at educational achievement, poverty rates, and crime.

More significantly, few people like to shovel snow.

I live in New York and I assure you, people and businesses have left because of our taxes.  Every small business owner I knows understand how hard it is to stay around here.  I also know several people who have left because they can't do business here.  My state just has its head so far up its own ass it's ridiculous.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2011, 01:40:32 PM »

People leave because of cost of living. More specifically, if they want a nice suburban house on a plot of land and a not-too-difficult commute by car, and they like warm weather, they can get that cheaply by moving South. Taxes in NC and Georgia are pretty high, in fact, and salaries are lower.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2011, 01:52:03 PM »

PPP is the reverse of Rasmussen so take it with a grain of salt. Having home stretch polls close to the final result doesn't make them credible this far out.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2011, 01:53:17 PM »

Hilarious. In a close election, this state should be safe R.
States change.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2011, 02:17:19 AM »

Hilarious. In a close election, this state should be safe R.

Until 1988, Vermont was extremely-safe R, the sort of state that went D only in blowouts.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2011, 09:17:31 AM »

The only politician who has accurately pinpointed the policies that have driven the flight from NY is Jimmy McMillan.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2011, 01:19:26 PM »
« Edited: May 09, 2011, 01:56:34 PM by sbane »

People who think it's high taxes which cause people to flee high cost state, they are ideologically blinded, naive fools. High taxes are a part of the reason but it's rent which really impacts people. Only rich people have the luxury to worry about tax rates.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2011, 01:28:57 PM »

People who think it's high taxes which cause people to flee high cost states, then they are ideologically blinded, naive fools. High taxes are a part of the reason but it's rent which really impacts people. Only rich people have the luxury to worry about tax rates.

He agrees

krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2011, 05:04:52 PM »

People who think it's high taxes which cause people to flee high cost state, they are ideologically blinded, naive fools. High taxes are a part of the reason but it's rent which really impacts people. Only rich people have the luxury to worry about tax rates.

Rent is partially fueled by property taxes.

You don't have to take my word for it. Go to Bergen and Middlesex Counties, NJ, which got shellacked for a decade.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2011, 05:25:40 PM »

It's a neglible impact. With high taxes, some investors are less likely to want to buy rental properties so fewer are built, which can drive prices up slightly. However, there's no cabal of landlords arbitrarily setting prices as a direct function of tax rates. Prices are a function of how many units there are versus how many people want to live in a given area. Landlords can either charge the going rate for the properties they have or the units will sit vacant. Like many underpoulated cities, we have very high property taxes here in Memphis along with some of the cheapest rents in the nation.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2011, 05:36:19 PM »

Cite?

Perhaps large apartment complexes owned by property management companies factor property tax into rent increases, but most normal people aren't that calculated in their decisions.  I've had landlords raise the rent with every lease renewal proposal arbitrarily, regardless of whether their cost of ownership increased or decreased.  Simply asking for a reason gave me my old rate back.  It's just too tempting to try and take an extra $10 a month.

As memphis said, it's also basic "going rate" supply and demand.  Property owners are no more or less sheep than the renters.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2011, 05:47:43 PM »

Cite?

Perhaps large apartment complexes owned by property management companies factor property tax into rent increases, but most normal people aren't that calculated in their decisions.  I've had landlords raise the rent with every lease renewal proposal arbitrarily, regardless of whether their cost of ownership increased or decreased.  Simply asking for a reason gave me my old rate back.  It's just too tempting to try and take an extra $10 a month.

As memphis said, it's also basic "going rate" supply and demand.  Property owners are no more or less sheep than the renters.

Well, New Mexico isn't as tax happy as New Jersey is. In our case, we had property taxes going up by high single digits annually, so any decision to increase rent is not arbitrary at all.

http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/njit35.shtml

By law, the state of New Jersey considers 18% of your rent to be your property tax.

By law, also, the state of New Jersey is supposed to designate all income tax receipts into a property tax relief fund. They don't really do that, though.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2011, 12:30:42 AM »

Haha, not where I live!!

If you are renting out a property in California that you have owned since the 1980s, you have basically hit the jackpot.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies