Regional Protection Party Spring Fling/April Retreat (Unfinished Business)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 06, 2024, 03:03:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Regional Protection Party Spring Fling/April Retreat (Unfinished Business)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Author Topic: Regional Protection Party Spring Fling/April Retreat (Unfinished Business)  (Read 15987 times)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: May 04, 2011, 07:07:31 PM »

Heh, I remember some of these from 2008. We really should put together an up-to-date set of bylaws. Maybe get the revised platform from 2009 up on there as well. For reference, this is the set of bylaws on the Wiki:

Chair and Vice-Chair
1.) The chairman and vice-chair shall serve a term of at least four months

2.) This term shall conclude two weeks before the beginning of a presidential election

3.) The chairman and vice-chair are voted on at the party convention by approval voting

4.) If the chair or vice-chair fails to gain 50% of the party's support, they are removed from office and a new election is held for the position

5.) Any member of the party has the right to request a vote on the chair and/or vice-chair at the party's convention

6.) That if the chairman of the Party shall be absent for the period of the convention, The Vice Chairmen is then charged with opening the convention just as he is charged with all other duties of the Chairmen. The Vice Chairmen may delegate some of those duties to other highly trusted members off the RPP at his discretion.

Party Dean
1.) The chairman may appoint a party dean to help serve with the chairman and vice-chair

2.) The Dean must be a member of the party for at least two months, or since its inception.

3.) The primary function of the dean will be to settle disputes between the chair and vice-chair

Endorsements
1.) To receive the endorsement of the Regional Protection Party a candidate must receive the endorsement of either the chair and vice-chair or a vote of the party to be held on the private forum.

2.) Any candidate who does not receive the party endorsement and runs under the party banner is denied support of the party for a minimum of six (6) months

Regional Chairs
1.) Each region shall have its own chair appointed by the party chairman

2.) Regional chairmen may be hired/fired at the discretion of the party chair

3.) The primary duty of regional chairs is to remind voters in their regions to vote and to represent the party in their region

Conventions
1.) That the Quad annual RPP convention must be held prior to each Presidential Election

2.) That the Quad-annual RPP convention begin no less then three weeks before the Presidential election and be brought to a close no less then three days prior to the said Election. The convention shall then reconvene within a week of the election for the purpose of party leadership elections.

3.) When the Chairman or Vice Chairmen opens the convention a list of Delegates (Party members) shall be listed to encourage active participation of all party members. Also to be listed are links to the current bylaws and platform.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #76 on: May 04, 2011, 07:21:16 PM »

Convention section contradict Chairman/Vice Chairman elections as to when the election takes place.

As for the Endorsement section - So DWTLish.

I'll get the fusion amendment we passed to the comply with Fusion Voting Act, last summer.

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #77 on: May 04, 2011, 07:26:43 PM »

Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #78 on: May 04, 2011, 09:31:17 PM »

Another concern is FOR THE ONE HUNDRETH TIME, WILL SOMEONE PLEASE TAKE THE NE REGIONAL CHAIRMANSHIP?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Submitting my name for NE Regional Chair.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #79 on: May 04, 2011, 09:34:30 PM »

PRAISE THE LORD!!! Its only been about well since August of 2009, since it had one. Tongue
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #80 on: May 04, 2011, 09:36:01 PM »

PRAISE THE LORD!!! Its only been about well since August of 2009, since it had one. Tongue
Your welcome.

Congratulations, Cincinnatus! I can already see you as a rising star in our party. Smiley
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #81 on: May 04, 2011, 09:42:41 PM »

If one can brave the chaos in the current NE, the rewards for success are bountifull, no doubt.

I knew this would happen atleast a week ago, I could feel it. Though my special abilities prefer not to give dates. Wink

Congrats man. 
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #82 on: May 04, 2011, 09:48:21 PM »

Okay, I've done this before, but I can't seem to remember how I did it. Tongue It shouldn't take long to dig it up. Tongue
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #83 on: May 04, 2011, 10:24:41 PM »

Do we have a Pacific chair?
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #84 on: May 04, 2011, 10:31:03 PM »

According to my research, we do not, the position is vacant as the last chair became de registered.

Hence I wish to offer.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #85 on: May 04, 2011, 10:35:45 PM »

Your research is correct. We did have one, but he was de-registered after the last election.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #86 on: May 04, 2011, 10:35:55 PM »

Well I didn't find what what I was looking for, but I did find about 10 links to previous threads used for RPP business. Couldn't find DWTL's thread and I didn't go back to before December 2009 so the infamous insanity circus known as the Oct 2009 Convention isn't among them. Tongue

Links
February 2011 Convention
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=131607.0

December 2010 Endorsement vote 
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=128847.0

7th tri-annual RPP Convention  (October 2010)
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=125520.0

August 2010 Endorsement Vote
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=122448.0

Secret Undisclosed Irregular Emergency meeting of the RPP Executive Council (adoption of the Fusion Amendment to the Bylaws)
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=121110.0

6th Tri-Annual Regionalist Convention (June 2010)
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=117825.0

AFL-CIO thread
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=114225.0

February 2010 Convention
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=109942

PCP/RPP thread
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=108238
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #87 on: May 04, 2011, 10:37:25 PM »

I'll do the dirty work to defil...er...appoint Cincy and Teddy in the RPP HQ thread.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #88 on: May 04, 2011, 11:57:18 PM »

I remember that October convention well. What a circus.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #89 on: May 05, 2011, 12:03:35 PM »

I'll do the dirty work to defil...er...appoint Cincy and Teddy in the RPP HQ thread.

Damn.  I liked where the beginning of that sentence was going.  I guess I'll have to settle for the second half Sad
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #90 on: May 05, 2011, 05:04:54 PM »

Damn.  I liked where the beginning of that sentence was going.  I guess I'll have to settle for the second half Sad

They're the same thing, I just changed the name so that it looked better for the tourists. Evil Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #91 on: May 07, 2011, 03:10:16 PM »

I found the original RPP thread:
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=80405.0

Last 15 pages makes for interesting reading. Tongue

And unless we want this to be undeniable truth for eternity, we better get to work on a new set of bylaws soon:

Tongue
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #92 on: May 07, 2011, 05:00:50 PM »
« Edited: May 07, 2011, 05:49:51 PM by Emperor PiT »

I suggest scotching Endorsements & incorporating the fusion voting bylaw into the basis of a new Endorsements section. I think we also need some mechanism by which we can un-endorse party members, though I want to see what other people think.

Endorsements

1. One week prior to the commencement of the election, the RPP Chairman or Vice Chairman, in the Chairman's absence, shall open a thread to allow non RPP candidates to state whether they are seeking the endorsement of the RPP in that race.

2. After 48 hours the declaration period shall be closed and a voted shall begin in which all party members may vote for which candidates to endorse in each race.

3. After 72 hours the vote shall be closed. The non RPP candidate with the most votes in the each race will receive the highest non RPP preference endorsement (first if no RPPer is running). The next highest non RPPer in votes will receive the next highest RPP preference endorsement and so on.

4. Upon motion by three members, a vote shall be held on whether to unendorse any RPP candidate named in the motion who is running in the upcoming election.

5. This motion shall be voted on concurrently with the out-of-party endorsement vote held pursuant to Section 2 of this bylaw if possible. Otherwise, the vote shall be opened within 24 hours of the motion gaining requisite support.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #93 on: May 07, 2011, 05:05:26 PM »

Seems very good.

In Clause 2, would "shall" be better then "may" or does it sound too involuntary?

In Clause 3, we should probably set firm a voting method since to be used for those votes. We have used IRV in most of the instances where a vote has been held.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #94 on: May 07, 2011, 05:08:07 PM »
« Edited: June 08, 2011, 11:08:19 PM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

We should combine the Chair and Vice Chair Section,  The Dean Section and the Regional Chair Section under a Section titled

Leadership (Under Construction, watch this space. Tongue)
A. National Party
1.) The Chairman, Vice-Chairman, and Secretary shall serve a term of four months.

2.) This term shall conclude at the conclusion of the leadership election and the new term shall begin immediately.  

3.) If the Party Chairman shall be absent for the period of the convention, The Vice Chairmen is then charged with opening the convention just as he is charged with all other duties of the Chairmen, in the Chairman‘s absence. The Vice Chairmen may delegate some of those duties to other highly trusted members off the RPP at his discretion.

4.) The Chairman may appoint a party dean to help serve with the Chairman and Vice-Chairman.

5.) The Dean must be a well respected member, with a long-standing membership in the party (At least six months).

6.) The primary function of the Dean will be to settle disputes between the chair and vice-chair. The Chairman may delegate other responsibilities to the Dean, at his discretion.

7.) The position of Party Secretary shall be created for the purpose of maintaining the membership lists on both the private forum and the Wiki, and Maintaining and Updating the Wiki in general, especially the Bylaws, Platform and Leadership sections. The Chairman may delegate other responsibilities to the Party Secretary, at his discretion.

8.) At all times, the Chairman, Vice Chairman, Secretary and Dean must act appropriately and ethically in the carrying out of their duties assigned, and strive to avoid even the appearance of impropriety in their conduct.

B. Regional Party
1.) Each region shall have its own Regional Chairman, appointed by the Party Chairman and voted on by the party at each convention.

2.) Regional Chairmen may be hired/fired at the discretion of the Party Chairman. A decision to emplace, or remove a Regional Chair may be overturned by a 2/3’s vote of the party members. The vote shall be commenced by the leadership within 72 hours of the publication of an appeal by an RPP member of an action regarding the chairman.

3.) All five Regional Chairmanships will be a part of the Leadership Election described in Section C. If a person is voted out of the position of Regional Chairman, he is barred from holding the office of Regional Chairman in any region till the Leadership vote at the next convention where he may be elected by the party.

4.) The primary duty of Regional Chairman is to remind voters in their regions to vote and to represent the party in their region. The Party Chairman may delegate other responsibilities to the Regional Chairman, at his discretion.

C. Leadership Elections
1.) At each “Tri-Annual Convention”, a leadership election shall be conducted using the Approval Vote method.

2.) The Party Chairman, Vice Chairman, Party Secretary and all Five Regional Chairmanships shall be up for a vote during this election.

3.) The Presiding Officer of the Convention, shall start the vote on the Friday following the conclusion of the Presidential election and shall end it exactly 72 hours later.

4.) If a sitting official fails to receive majority approval, he is removed from the position and candidate declaration period shall commence for each vacated office following the conclusion of the approval vote, lasting 48 hours. After the conclusion of the declaration period a 72 hour vote shall be held, with the winner being chosen by virtue of receiving the most votes. Any vacant offices at the time of the Leadership election shall be filled at this time.

5.) Any offices that become vacant more then one week prior to the next leadership election, shall be filled with a temporary interim appointment, by the Chairman. If the office of Chairman becomes vacant more then one week prior to the leadership election, the Vice Chairman shall act as chairman till a special election can be held using the same election guidelines as listed for filling vacant offices above.

6.) To vote in RPP Leadership Elections, one must have been a legally registered Atlasian Voter and a member for the RPP for at least 48 hours prior to the commencement of the vote. This shall apply to all other party votes including the endorsement vote and any votes at the convention.

Conventions
1.) The tri-annual RPP convention shall be held every four months, prior to each Presidential Election.

2.) The tri-annual RPP convention shall begin no less then three weeks before the Presidential Election and be brought to a close no less then three days prior to the said Election. The convention shall then reconvene at the conclusion of the Presidential Election to discuss and conduct the Leadership Elections.

3.) When the Chairman or delegated person opens the convention a list of Delegates (Party members) shall be listed to encourage active participation of all party members. Members will have 72 hours to sign in. Also to be listed are links to the current bylaws and platform.

4.) Following the conclusion of the delegate sign in, the convention shall proceed to the election a Presiding Officer to conduct the affairs for the rest of that convention. This shall include a 24 hour declaration period, to be followed by a 48 hour vote. The person with the most votes, shall be elected as the Presiding officer.

5.) If the convention is delayed or started later then proscribed in these bylaws, the chairman or designated person opening the convention may preside throughout if there is general agreement that there isn’t available time to elect a permanent presiding officer.

6.) Following the conclusion of the delegate sign in and/or the Presiding officer election, the convention shall proceed with endorsements as proscribed in the “Endorsements” section of these bylaws.

7.) After the conclusion of the Presidential Election, the Convention shall proceed to the matter of the Leadership elections. After which, the presiding officer must close the convention if no other business is in order

8.) At some point during the convention, the opportunity to offer, debate, and vote on amendments to the platform and or bylaws must be available. If need be, after the Leadership election, but before the convention is closed. To vote in these matters, one must have been a member of the party for 48 hours prior to the commencement of the election.

Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #95 on: May 07, 2011, 05:33:51 PM »

Seems very good.

In Clause 2, would "shall" be better then "may" or does it sound too involuntary?

In Clause 3, we should probably set firm a voting method since to be used for those votes. We have used IRV in most of the instances where a vote has been held.

I think "may" or "shall have the right to" would be best. Just "shall" would create a legal responsibility for all party members to vote on endorsements, which would be problematic. Tongue
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #96 on: May 07, 2011, 05:39:05 PM »

"are encouraged to" vote
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #97 on: May 07, 2011, 05:50:30 PM »

Also, IRV is rather passe. What if we use Condorcet for the endorsements & hold a parallel vote to determine if a candidate gets the RPP tag on the ballot. Evil

"Shall have the right to and are encouraged to" vote?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #98 on: May 07, 2011, 05:50:57 PM »

What method should we use for the leadership elections? It used to be approval voting, shall we continue with that, or try something else?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #99 on: May 07, 2011, 05:54:11 PM »

Also, IRV is rather passe. What if we use Condorcet for the endorsements & hold a parallel vote to determine if a candidate gets the RPP tag on the ballot. Evil

Fine by me, as long as someone knows how to calculate the results. Tongue
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies