Carrier Counties

(1/10) > >>

King:
I was just looking at New Castle, DE and it turns out that whatever it votes the state of Delaware always votes, are there any other states with these "carrier counties"?

Erc:
Well, considering there are only 3 counties in DE...and New Castle contains Wilmington.

Alcon:
Well, obviously, no county always carries a state, but here are the counties that I know of that make up 50%+ of a state's votes:

Honolulu County, HI (69.6%)
Newcastle County, DE (65.2%)
Clark County, NV (60.8%)
Maricopa County, AZ (59.2%)
Providence County, RI (52.9%)

That may not be all of them, but I think that is most. All are pretty Democratic, except Honolulu County (less Democratic than the rest of the state, but still heavily) and Maricopa County (fairly Republican).

Erc:
Bellwether counties:

Alabama:  Madison, Dekalb, Blount, St. Clair, Calhoun, Cleburne, Tuscaloosa, Autauga, Elmore, Pike, Monroe, Escambia, Covington, Coffee, Geneva, Coffee, Dale, Henry [1960--beginning of data]
Arizona:  Navajo, Gila, Pinal, Greenlee, La Paz [1996]
Arkansas:  Lonoke, Cleburne, Franklin, Miller [1960]California:  San Benito, Monterey, Santa Barbara, Imperial [1960]
Colorado:  Garfield, Larimer [1960]
Connecticut:  New Haven, Middlesex, New London [1960]
Delaware:  New Castle [1960]
Florida:  Citrus [1960]
Georgia: Lincoln, Haralson, Monroe, Jones, Laurens, Bleckley, Candley, Brantley, Jefferson Davis, Bacon, Worth [1960]
Hawaii: Kauai, Kalawao, Maui, Hawaii [1964]

New York:  Schenectady, Broome [1980]

[more later perhaps]

bgwah:
Quote from: Alcon on December 02, 2004, 08:52:30 PM

Well, obviously, no county always carries a state, but here are the counties that I know of that make up 50%+ of a state's votes:

Honolulu County, HI (69.6%)
Newcastle County, DE (65.2%)
Clark County, NV (60.8%)
Maricopa County, AZ (59.2%)
Multnomah County, OR (56.3%)
Providence County, RI (52.9%)

That may not be all of them, but I think that is most. All are pretty Democratic, except Honolulu County (less Democratic than the rest of the state, but still heavily) and Maricopa County (fairly Republican).

Multnomah?? I don't think so. It only makes up about 20% or so of the states over all population, and it definately didn't make up 50% of Oregon's vote...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page