Energy-content disclosures to be required for restaurants
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 10:44:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Energy-content disclosures to be required for restaurants
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Energy-content disclosures to be required for restaurants  (Read 1146 times)
angus
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2011, 10:04:32 PM »

I'm pretty sure it's only for chains, which have relatively standardized menus - a small independent restaurant doesn't have to count calories on all its dishes (which may, after all, change from day to day).

Exactly.....last time I was in Philthadelphia I went to a TGI Fridays across the parking lot since the hotel's food choices weren't much and since I had far too much booze in me to drive anywhere.......I looked at the menu and on every dish, all the nutritional information is there.......If you seriously read it, you wouldn't have anything but a plain iced tea with no sugar.....

Honestly, if I choose to go to a TGI Fridays......I don't want a menu to tell me how bad I'm eating.......I know that before I walk in.....

Ha.  About six years ago we were in a TGIFridays in Honolulu and I noticed a "bunless burger" on the menu.  I asked about it and the very rotund polynesian waitress told me that it's for the carbohydrate free diet people.  How bizarre. 

Well, we're on a new kick now.  We were eating Tofu and bacon tonight, and my wife pulls out a bottle of seaweed and sesame seed that she likes to sprinkle on her rice.  And my son jumps up and down, "oh, oh, let me sprinkle my own."  He loves seaweed, and pretty much anything made from sesame, and likes to cover his rice with it.  And my wife says, enjoy it now, since that's the last bottle we're buying.  Apparently we're no longer going to buy anything from Japan, or at least anything that comes from the seas around Japan, which pretty much means nothing from Japan.  Not that we buy lots of Japanese seafood, but we buy enough that it'll matter I think.

I suppose now that complete nutritional labeling should probably include isotopic abundances of the elements in Japanese seaweed.  Who knew?

Just pass me that bottle of Jack and shut up.  Thank you.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2011, 09:42:59 AM »

I'm pretty sure it's only for chains, which have relatively standardized menus - a small independent restaurant doesn't have to count calories on all its dishes (which may, after all, change from day to day).

Exactly.....last time I was in Philthadelphia I went to a TGI Fridays across the parking lot since the hotel's food choices weren't much and since I had far too much booze in me to drive anywhere.......I looked at the menu and on every dish, all the nutritional information is there.......If you seriously read it, you wouldn't have anything but a plain iced tea with no sugar.....

Honestly, if I choose to go to a TGI Fridays......I don't want a menu to tell me how bad I'm eating.......I know that before I walk in.....

Ha.  About six years ago we were in a TGIFridays in Honolulu and I noticed a "bunless burger" on the menu.  I asked about it and the very rotund polynesian waitress told me that it's for the carbohydrate free diet people.  How bizarre.  

Well, we're on a new kick now.  We were eating Tofu and bacon tonight, and my wife pulls out a bottle of seaweed and sesame seed that she likes to sprinkle on her rice.  And my son jumps up and down, "oh, oh, let me sprinkle my own."  He loves seaweed, and pretty much anything made from sesame, and likes to cover his rice with it.  And my wife says, enjoy it now, since that's the last bottle we're buying.  Apparently we're no longer going to buy anything from Japan, or at least anything that comes from the seas around Japan, which pretty much means nothing from Japan.  Not that we buy lots of Japanese seafood, but we buy enough that it'll matter I think.

I suppose now that complete nutritional labeling should probably include isotopic abundances of the elements in Japanese seaweed.  Who knew?

Just pass me that bottle of Jack and shut up.  Thank you.

If your kid and wife start glowing in the dark you'll know she was right Wink 
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2011, 08:50:31 AM »

If your kid and wife start glowing in the dark you'll know she was right Wink 

India apparently has suspended all imports of food from Japan.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2011, 12:00:04 PM »

...My wife also has a slightly different set of enzymes than I.  We probably last shared a common ancestor 50 thousand or more years ago.  For example, she doesn't have much alcohol dehydrogenase and turns bright red after half a bottle of beer.  I, on the other hand, can consume half a bottle of Jack Daniels and still do calculus and physics problems.  But she can eat mounds of sodium without problems, whereas I'm quite sure the salt makes me feel flaky and parched.  Additionally, she can consume far more carbohydrates than I.  She needs two big bowls of rice.  I feel full after one big bowl of rice.  On the other hand, I can eat a 16-ounce steak without flatulence and catarrh.  (Not that I should.)  But she can eat maybe 3 or 4 ounces of meat at a sitting.

This was really interesting, angus.  I have noticed that my Korean and Japanese acquantainces here do eat enormous amounts of rice - the amount of rice they eat seems absurd.  I've also noticed that some Chinese-Thais eat a lot of rice.  However, 'real' Thais, or Thai-Lao (Isaan) people eat about the same amount of rice that I eat - which is suspect is similar to you or to Westerners in general.  Also, Isaan people eat a lot of meat.

I don't think eating a lot of meat will hurt you angus, you should enjoy.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies