US House Redistricting: Maine (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 12:55:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  US House Redistricting: Maine (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: US House Redistricting: Maine  (Read 21232 times)
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« on: March 30, 2011, 07:36:38 PM »

Well, the current Congressional District populations aren't that far apart.  ME-01 has 668,515 residents. ME-02 659,846.  If the legislature wanted to keep current boundaries intact as much as possible, only 4,334 residents need to be shifted from ME-01 to ME-02.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 12:56:12 AM »

Oh, I thought you meant that the state would ignore the ruling to redraw its congressional districts, when that would be (well, it probably isn't unprecedented but it would be asking for serious legal trouble) and the Republicans in power probably won't mind redrawing the districts anyway.

Maine's Constitution would seem to bar the state from redrawing its Legislative districts before 2013 unless forced to by a legal challenge.  The constitution could be amended this year to allow for a redistricting before the 2012 elections but with Maine's filing period beginning on January 1 the year of the election and a 1941 Maine Supreme Judicial Court ruling that you can't pass a law that goes against the current language of the state constitution even conditionally upon the constitution being amended to allow whatever is being done in statutory law, you'd probably have to add the definitions of the new legislative districts into the Maine Constitution, which would probably make the majority of the text of the constitution House and Senate district descriptions.

The US Constitution trumps the Maine Constitution, and it is extremely questionable whether a court would allow a 20% variation in one statehouse district stand for 2 years when the data to redraw districts is readily available.  In my opinion, such a large disparity should not stand, even for a relatively short duration - but stranger things have happened.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies