Russians are leaving the country in droves
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:58:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russians are leaving the country in droves
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Will Russia eventually join the European Union?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 27

Author Topic: Russians are leaving the country in droves  (Read 1761 times)
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 16, 2011, 06:44:00 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Read more at http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-russia-emigration-20111115,0,762445.story
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 07:59:56 PM »

The answer is no.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 09:35:26 PM »

Russian immigration is a noticeable factor in these parts. I for one am grateful. Grin
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 10:06:06 PM »

Any numbers/guesses on where they are headed?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 10:16:34 PM »

Perhaps Russia should try implementing a flat tax, stop entitlement spending, and drive down their debt to less than 10% of their GDP.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 06:53:33 PM »

Perhaps Russia should try implementing a flat tax, stop entitlement spending, and drive down their debt to less than 10% of their GDP.

icwutudidthar
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 12:15:20 PM »

Russian immigration is a noticeable factor in these parts. I for one am grateful. Grin

Where's 'these parts' and what's the going rate?  Russians move to Thailand in some numbers, but they're still very overpriced for the 'beautiful' ones (say around $100-200!).  I made the acquaintance of one Russian lady once a few years ago in Bangkok for about $30 at the time, but she was fairly atrocious.

Truthfully I don't much see the attraction of Russians.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2011, 03:26:38 PM »
« Edited: November 21, 2011, 03:56:12 PM by GMantis »

You call these rates "droves"? I really wish Bulgaria (an EU member) had such an "exodus" instead of the current emigration rate, which is about five times higher than Russia's. And many of the other EU member states from Eastern Europe are not much better.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2011, 03:27:44 PM »

You call these rates "droves"? I really wish Bulgaria (an EU member) had such an "exodus" instead of the current immigration rate, which is about five times higher than Russia's. And many of the other EU member states from Eastern Europe are not much better.
You mean emigration rate?
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2011, 03:55:49 PM »

You call these rates "droves"? I really wish Bulgaria (an EU member) had such an "exodus" instead of the current immigration rate, which is about five times higher than Russia's. And many of the other EU member states from Eastern Europe are not much better.
You mean emigration rate?
Of course Tongue
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2011, 05:06:41 PM »

I met two Muscovites who spoke nothing but Russian in some hot springs in Costa Rica once. Apparently they intended to immigrate and live in Liberia (to clarify, the city in Costa Rica, not the African country), and were attempting to learn better Spanish. Their Spanish was atrocious, even mine was better. To say nothing of their English.

It was a very odd experience. I'd always thought Putin was popular among the upper-middle-class folk, though I'm increasingly seeing this isn't so. But on this side of the lake, all I get is anecdotal evidence from people on this side of the lake, who are more likely to dislike Putin than not.

And to the question, of course not. Russia is not a European country, and I'm not sure even someone like Yavlinsky would support joining the EU.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2011, 10:56:56 PM »
« Edited: November 25, 2011, 01:49:19 PM by Kevin »

Like the article said these people who are typically well off and part of the elite aren't leaving permanently(Which I don't get why it said this was such a demographic disaster)

I go to a well known(especially internationally) school with a modest(but quickly growing) Russian population. Also I've traveled extensively over the past few years to the UK(Another favourite haunt of Russian people abroad). Most of these I've Russians interacted with left Russia for temporary reasons mainly to study in my case, but I've heard numerous cases of others doing it to work, do business, or vacation long-term. Also, most of them are planning on returning home eventually like mentioned before. It should also be well known that many wealthy Russians and those part of the political/military elite back home who have in recent years been buying property in large amounts esp. vacation homes in places like the UK, Spain, Italy, Cuba or Cyprus.

Again this isn't for political reasons but more of sign that many Russian's(especially wealthy ones) are just as upwardly and mobile as the Brit's, German's, Arab's, and Chinese I've come across. And again for most the same reasons as these groups.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2011, 11:14:44 PM »

Oh, no. Putin is not popular precisely among the upper middle and upper classes. The anti-Putin satirical performances are getting full houses in the richest Moscow suburbs, right around the corner from his own residence. The first thing you hear from the ostensibly pro-government "experts", functionaries, etc., almost before they return your greetings, is "the regime is about to fall" - and that's been going on for years. He is a KGB goon, the "educated" Russians, even if they owe everything to him, despise him wholeheartedly. At best, they are going to say something along the lines of "but that's what The People wants, who are we to go against The People" - but even that line has been growing thin.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2011, 01:03:23 PM »

I met two Muscovites who spoke nothing but Russian in some hot springs in Costa Rica once. Apparently they intended to immigrate and live in Liberia (to clarify, the city in Costa Rica, not the African country)
Oh. Sad

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies