Anybody else discouraged by 2010 results? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:16:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Anybody else discouraged by 2010 results? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Anybody else discouraged by 2010 results?  (Read 1750 times)
Linus Van Pelt

« on: March 14, 2011, 11:56:22 AM »

It's mainly just the Great Lakes and general rust belt: outside the industrial midwest, the only major cities so far that I can see that lost population are New Orleans, which is an obvious outlier, and Baltimore. Both Philadelphia and Washington DC had their first increases since the 1950 census; Portland, Seattle, and most southern cities have grown over 5% (except Dallas - not sure why on this one); and San Francisco and L.A. both grew modestly, despite having a ridiculous cost of living.

---

Gentrification often results in population loss (at least in the areas being colonised)

I was pushing this line too earlier in the census thread, but reflecting on some of the results, especially Philly and DC growing overall despite having certain areas that surely shrank, make me think now that it might be wrong in many US cases. It may require that the original lower-income population is at least stable enough that the housing is actually all occupied, and there are a lot of families with kids, which are more likely in a white working-class area in other first-world countries than in an American inner city. But it's complicated, so I'm not sure.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies