Bush carried 97 of the nation's 100 fastest-growing counties (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:06:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Bush carried 97 of the nation's 100 fastest-growing counties (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bush carried 97 of the nation's 100 fastest-growing counties  (Read 9274 times)
bushforever
bushwillwin

« on: December 01, 2004, 12:40:31 PM »

Suburbia is only bad during the formitave stages when a rural area is being transformed into suburbia.  Once it is full-fledged suburbia, it matures and becomes more urban, downtowns are revamped, and people finally consider transit-oriented developments.  I agree, I don't like Wal-Mart or Target much as they seem to have nothing, rather than a little bit of everything.  Although, I don't know where I would be without Best Buy, Borders, or fast food restaurants.  I agree in denser developments and transit-oriented developments which don't make people have to drive everywhere, and really help small business and downtown areas thrive.  This suburban downtown revival is currently occurring in many suburbs outside Chicago, and I am sure it will reach my collar county when the suburban areas mature.  Take for example, Arlington Heights, IL.  Its downtown has undergone major changes.  A grocery store in a smaller building.  Large high rises with California Pizza Kitchen, Ann Taylor Loft, Panda Express, and Starbucks down below, rather than in strip malls.  A brand new theatre.  And a McDonalds inside a state of the art train station.  All within walking distance.  All within the convenience of being in downtown Chicago in 45 minutes.  See, we just need to fine tune suburbia, not completely do away with it.  Transit oriented mix-use development is the way to go. 
bushforever
bushwillwin

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2004, 06:06:29 PM »

Blame the farmers for selling their land, not those who chose to live in the 'burbs.  Besides, like I said earlier. . . it's more healthy for you to live outside the city than it is inside.

Not at all. In the city you have to walk to get around...In the suburbs you just hop in your SUV and go to McDonalds. I saw a study that people in the suburbs are less healthy then city dwellers.

Not really.  In the cities, public transportation is much cheaper and reliable than it is in Suburbia (hence the reason why people tend to drive out here).  However, people walk, job, bike around town in Suburbia just as much as they do in the cities.  It all boils down to personal habbits.  However, I will make the argument that Suburbians are probably in better mental health than those from the cities (minus the stress caused by commuting . . . depending on how far they live from work).

Very true.  I live in a very spread out area, yet I love biking around all the bike trails, riding near lakes, beautiful fields, forest, and through residential areas.  I can even ride to one of the most sought-after, growing retail corridors in suburban Chicago, if I'm up to it.  Some people are just too lazy though.  My suburban area is really beautiful and I feel generally safe.  The only reason for suburban people being stressed out and not in the best mental state from time to time is because they actually have lives and hard work to do.  Not to say that all city people aren't hardworking or anything.  But again it all comes down to education and activities.  Kids wouldn't get involved in the gangs and violence in cities like Chicago (which has 500-600 murders yearly), if kids were involved in after school activities and their parents were responsible.  These people need help and the education system needs a makeover.  Improve education, rather than build the billion dollar Millenium Park, Mayor Daley. 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies