Are Mormons Christians?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 07:25:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Are Mormons Christians?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: It's kind of a split here.
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 45

Author Topic: Are Mormons Christians?  (Read 4942 times)
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2011, 07:16:18 PM »

It's interesting to see how all of the "Christians" are trying to keep the "weird kid" out of their little club.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2011, 07:35:34 PM »

I wonder how a Jehova's Witnesses poll like this would go.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2011, 08:21:47 PM »

It's interesting to see how all of the "Christians" are trying to keep the "weird kid" out of their little club.

Such a designation is really irrevelent unless you believe in exclusivity. It's a simple matter of categorization for me, at least, not a judgment on Mormonism.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2011, 08:33:29 PM »

I wonder how a Jehovah's Witnesses poll like this would go.

While their missionaries can be as irritating as the Mormons, except for other Christian groups who believe that they are the only true Christians (as the Witnesses do), I think most Christians would count them as Christians.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2011, 09:01:16 PM »

I wonder how a Jehovah's Witnesses poll like this would go.

While their missionaries can be as irritating as the Mormons, except for other Christian groups who believe that they are the only true Christians (as the Witnesses do), I think most Christians would count them as Christians.

Unless they use the Trinitarian standard.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2011, 09:08:27 PM »

True, but unlike the Mormons, they don't have additional books of scripture besides the Bible.  I can see someone thinking they both are Christian, neither is Christian, or that JW is Christian but LDS is not.  I can't see anyone thinking Mormons are Christian while Witnesses are not, with the possible exception of any extreme Mormons who think that all non-Mormons are also non-Christian.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2011, 10:02:53 AM »

Do Mormons (I don't know any) refer to themselves as Christians?
Yes they do.  Indeed, at one time they did not care to be called Mormons, but for the most part they have no problem with that now. (Some of the Latter Day Saint groups still do.)

Actually, Ernest, we're literally besieged with radio commercials for the Mormon religion and those in the commercials constantly say "and I'm a Mormon".........
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2011, 10:47:05 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Gramps, the lawyer sees nothing in the above text which precludes interim visits. Got many more for me?  Tongue
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2011, 11:32:04 AM »

Gramps, the lawyer sees nothing in the above text which precludes interim visits. Got many more for me?  Tongue

Christians don't believe in interim visits........how do you argue with a belief, Tore?  Wink
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2011, 11:40:00 AM »

Christians don't believe in interim visits........how do you argue with a belief, Tore?  Wink

I am just working with the texts you offer up Gramps. Sure if you believe that the universe has only three one way trips in the offing (two of which tickets have already been punched) just because, yes, that is the time in the discussion when  you say, well you have been blessed with the gift of a leap of faith with which I was not, and then pass the bong. JMO. Smiley
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2011, 12:03:59 PM »

Yes they do.  Indeed, at one time they did not care to be called Mormons, but for the most part they have no problem with that now. (Some of the Latter Day Saint groups still do.)

Actually, Ernest, we're literally besieged with radio commercials for the Mormon religion and those in the commercials constantly say "and I'm a Mormon".........

I guess that you are listening to the "wrong" radio stations then Gramps. For me it is classical, or hard core rock, or Michael Medved/Hugh  Hewitt (there you are subject to the gold bug heist commercials ad nauseam) once in awhile.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2011, 12:07:15 PM »

Oh God, I've been seeing far too many of those stupid "I'm a Mormon" ads too, they're on YouTube now. What is the point of them? I've even seen them at bus stops here, not exactly a good decision on behalf of the Metro Council to accept them as that is basically just asking for vandalism.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2011, 01:39:19 PM »

I guess that you are listening to the "wrong" radio stations then Gramps. For me it is classical, or hard core rock, or Michael Medved/Hugh  Hewitt (there you are subject to the gold bug heist commercials ad nauseam) once in awhile.

I listen to an all sports station, Torie.......... KDKA FM 93.7 The Fan.........given what $$$$$ the mormons drop in their coffers, I'm sure they're the most welcome sponsor.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2011, 01:51:23 PM »

Oh God, I've been seeing far too many of those stupid "I'm a Mormon" ads too, they're on YouTube now. What is the point of them?

proselytize
v.intr.
1. To induce someone to convert to one's own religious faith.
2. To induce someone to join one's own political party or to espouse one's doctrine.
v.tr.
To convert (a person) from one belief, doctrine, cause, or faith to another.

Duh.

As a government entity they have to accept all religious advertisers or none of them - are you that unfamiliar with the standards by which a secular government has to be run?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2011, 02:10:27 PM »

This is an interesting wiki piece
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2011, 02:36:54 PM »
« Edited: March 01, 2011, 03:30:37 PM by True Federalist »

Yes they do.  Indeed, at one time they did not care to be called Mormons, but for the most part they have no problem with that now. (Some of the Latter Day Saint groups still do.)

Yes, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has embraced the term "Mormon" but some who hold the Book of Mormon to be scripture are not part of the church Brigham Young led out to Utah, while others have fractured off later. So just because the largest group of Mormons is fine with the term does not mean that all Mormons are.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2011, 02:44:38 PM »

Yes, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has embraced the term "Mormon" but some who hold the Book of Mormon to be scripture are not part of the church Brigham Young led out to Utah, while others have fractured off later. So just because the largest group pf Mormons is fine with the term does not mean that all Mormons are.

I didn't mean to imply otherwise, but gotcha!
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2011, 12:53:37 AM »

Mormons don't believe that Christ died or was resurrected more than once.  They do believe that he visited North America after his ascension. As a Christian I have no problem with that possibility. The question of who Christ is though is crucial to me, and here there is a major difference with Mormonism, which views Christ as not equal with God and as not someone to be prayed to - that's almost where I would draw the line, but I think the importance of Christ to the religion (who is much more primary than for Muslims, for example) probably means I would call them Christians in some sense.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2011, 10:30:41 AM »

Mormons don't believe that Christ died or was resurrected more than once.  They do believe that he visited North America after his ascension. As a Christian I have no problem with that possibility. The question of who Christ is though is crucial to me, and here there is a major difference with Mormonism, which views Christ as not equal with God and as not someone to be prayed to - that's almost where I would draw the line, but I think the importance of Christ to the religion (who is much more primary than for Muslims, for example) probably means I would call them Christians in some sense.

Nicely stated opinion, shua.

As to the bolded part......I think the initial question was not asking if we view them as Christians in some sense though, hence, my "no".......which I still believe, but maybe that's exactly what the OP was asking.

If they want to call themselves Christians......fine by me.  I have no problems with other religions at all.
Globus Cruciger
Orb
Rookie
United States

« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2011, 10:05:43 PM »

This is one of those things I get ever-so-pigheaded about. Mormons are Christians. Full stop.

Now as an orthodox Christian I naturally believe Joseph Smith's flock are terribly kooky. But the fact remains that if the word "Christian" is going to have any logical meaning, it has to mean simply a person, any person, whose faith is built and centered upon the historical figure of Jesus. And if you meet that criterion then I don't care how much of a hellbound heretic you are, you're a Christian. 
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2011, 11:59:23 PM »

I have had since rocks cooled an inclination to eschew fights over capture the word. That is why you never see me participating in debates about what a "conservative" is, or a "liberal," and just who hews to which label, etc. It accomplishes nothing, and bores me. But that does not mean I am not curious what others think. What others think, their subjective reality, has objective consequences, so I don't think my curiosity is idle regarding the capture game, although there is nothing wrong with idle curiously, and I do indulge in it often. Smiley
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2011, 12:00:16 AM »

Christians yes but also heretics.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2011, 07:42:13 AM »

I have had since rocks cooled an inclination to eschew fights over capture the word. That is why you never see me participating in debates about what a "conservative" is, or a "liberal," and just who hews to which label, etc. It accomplishes nothing, and bores me. But that does not mean I am not curious what others think. What others think, their subjective reality, has objective consequences, so I don't think my curiosity is idle regarding the capture game, although there is nothing wrong with idle curiously, and I do indulge in it often. Smiley

I thought you were a lawyer?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2011, 09:31:37 AM »

Ok, now that's one of the better descriptions I've read.  Nice.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2011, 11:22:22 AM »

Members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, commonly referred to as Mormons, are, obviously, Christians.

The term Mormon derives from the Church's belief in the scriptural Book of Mormon.  The Church as well accepts as scripture the Holy Bible, and uses the King James version.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies