Should this guy have been deported from the US for being an "illegal immigrant"?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 19, 2024, 02:17:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Should this guy have been deported from the US for being an "illegal immigrant"?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should this guy have been deported from the US for being an "illegal immigrant"?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 19

Author Topic: Should this guy have been deported from the US for being an "illegal immigrant"?  (Read 1500 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 22, 2011, 11:13:13 PM »

The old bassist for the band Lemuria. He was a Canadian citizen but the scene was much bigger in Buffalo, so he basically "moved" there and started "working" in the US despite not having a green card or Visa. Basically all he did was play in the band and record and do a little part time work at venues and hung out sleeping at people's places rent-free. It's a bit of a stretch to say that he was "living and working" in the US illegally.

But one day he had to quit the band because he was back in Canada and they decided that he was so he couldn't make it back over the border.

I vote no of course. It's downright idiotic and a prime example of how insanely f**king stupid all immigration law and border controls are.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 11:17:51 PM »

I don't support deportation but if there is fraud involved I can see why he wasn't given much leniency. Was there fraud involved?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 11:22:03 PM »

I don't support deportation but if there is fraud involved I can see why he wasn't given much leniency. Was there fraud involved?

I don't know but I can't see why it'd be necessary to sleep in someone's basement without paying rent or paying someone in cash to help set up soundsystems or whatever.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 12:05:21 AM »

He couldn't just commute from Niagara Falls, ON?
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 12:42:52 AM »

He should've been deported for being in a band BRTD likes.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 12:45:14 AM »

The border between the United States and Canada ought to be completely open. Ideally it would be the same way with Mexico, but at this point I still think that there are legitimate crime-related concerns that prevent that.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 12:48:34 AM »

I'd be surprised if he owned a car.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 01:51:20 AM »

The old bassist for the band Lemuria. He was a Canadian citizen but the scene was much bigger in Buffalo, so he basically "moved" there and started "working" in the US despite not having a green card or Visa. Basically all he did was play in the band and record and do a little part time work at venues and hung out sleeping at people's places rent-free. It's a bit of a stretch to say that he was "living and working" in the US illegally.

But one day he had to quit the band because he was back in Canada and they decided that he was so he couldn't make it back over the border.

I vote no of course. It's downright idiotic and a prime example of how insanely f**king stupid all immigration law and border controls are.

Let me put this simply.

He is NOT an "immigrant" but rather is an "alien" who was illegally present in the United States.

Not a stretch at all.

Do I have to post the meaning of the terms again?
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 06:45:42 AM »

Let me put this simply.

He is NOT an "immigrant" but rather is an "alien" who was illegally present in the United States.

Not a stretch at all.

And you are not a "nice man", but a "***** * **** ***".  Shall I define that for you?
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 07:17:55 AM »

Let me put this simply.

Not a stretch at all.

And you are not a "nice man", but a "***** * **** ***".  Shall I define that for you?

Snowguy,

Here are the definitive definitions, along with url.

I will not comment on you.

You might want to consider using standard English instead of asterisks.

Immigrant - “one that immigrates: as a : a person who comes to a country to take up permanent residence.”

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/immigrant

Alien - “a foreign-born resident who has not been naturalized and is still a subject or citizen of a foreign country; broadly : a foreign-born citizen.”

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/alien

Illegal - “not according to or authorized by law.”

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/illegal
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 08:49:43 AM »

CARL......let's leave the dirty mexicans aside......do you favor an open border with Canada?
Roemerista
MQuinn
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 5.91

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2011, 09:02:43 AM »

The law is king. Since he violates the law, as you even point out, he obviously should be deported.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 09:16:14 AM »

No one was deported in your scenario.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2011, 11:47:45 AM »

Let me put this simply.

Not a stretch at all.

Uh OK. Now how was he just a vile threat to the country that he had to be removed?
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2011, 02:36:10 PM »

CARL......let's leave the dirty mexicans aside......do you favor an open border with Canada?

No!
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2011, 02:38:24 PM »

Let me put this simply.

Not a stretch at all.

Uh OK. Now how was he just a vile threat to the country that he had to be removed?

So, the laws should be ignored?

Let him apply for a visa (like other law abiding aliens wishing to visit/work in the United States).
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2011, 02:39:25 PM »

CH,

I can see how your use of "Illegal Alien" is correct per the dictionary...however

Immigrant - “one that immigrates: as a : a person who comes to a country to take up permanent residence.”

Isn't Illegal Immigrant also permissible, connotations aside, on a case by case basis to determine the intent of the illegal (whether to come here, steal a car and drive back or to live here permanently albeit illegally)?  Or do we need a definition of permanent residence.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2011, 02:44:00 PM »

No!

I appreciate your answer........
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2011, 03:13:15 PM »

CH,

I can see how your use of "Illegal Alien" is correct per the dictionary...however

Isn't Illegal Immigrant also permissible, connotations aside, on a case by case basis to determine the intent of the illegal (whether to come here, steal a car and drive back or to live here permanently albeit illegally)?  Or do we need a definition of permanent residence.

Proponents of amnesty and open borders deliberately misrepresent their terminology as a means of achieving their objectives.

America is a land of immigrants, and the term "immigrant" has a favorable connotation.

However, as I have pointed out (and as experts have conceded) approximately half of those who are aliens who have illegally entered the country have NO intention to reside here on a permanent basis.

Oh, and funny thing the example you cited.  Automobile insurance rates in southern Arizona are high in part because so many vehicles are stolen and taken to Mexico (I had a thread on that a few years ago).

Now, stop and ask yourself, if you intend to permanently reside in a country and provide allegiance to that country, do you start off by illegally entering that country? 

bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2011, 05:23:12 PM »

CH,

Proponents of amnesty and open borders deliberately misrepresent their terminology as a means of achieving their objectives.

America is a land of immigrants, and the term "immigrant" has a favorable connotation.

However, as I have pointed out (and as experts have conceded) approximately half of those who are aliens who have illegally entered the country have NO intention to reside here on a permanent basis.

Oh, and funny thing the example you cited.  Automobile insurance rates in southern Arizona are high in part because so many vehicles are stolen and taken to Mexico (I had a thread on that a few years ago).

Now, stop and ask yourself, if you intend to permanently reside in a country and provide allegiance to that country, do you start off by illegally entering that country? 

So up to half of those entering the country illegally intend to reside permanently.  Ok.

Do you start off entering that country illegally?  Probably not, but I'd be interested to see stats regarding how many have tried to enter legally first or choose to enter illegally because the process of entering legally (becoming a citizen etc) takes too long and as such becomes impossible.

phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2011, 07:24:13 PM »
« Edited: February 23, 2011, 08:08:48 PM by phknrocket1k »

CH,

Oh, and funny thing the example you cited.  Automobile insurance rates in southern Arizona are high in part because so many vehicles are stolen and taken to Mexico (I had a thread on that a few years ago).

So up to half of those entering the country illegally intend to reside permanently.  Ok.

Do you start off entering that country illegally?  Probably not, but I'd be interested to see stats regarding how many have tried to enter legally first or choose to enter illegally because the process of entering legally (becoming a citizen etc) takes too long and as such becomes impossible.

Well here's the thing.

If you are not coming under:

1.) Doctor/engineer/smart person
2.) Family reunion
3.) Political Asylum

You wont have much of a chance.

But granted... you really shouldn't in the first place. We don't have a shortage of people in the low skilled sector (whose unemployment is 3 times higher than college graduates).
Redalgo
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2011, 07:39:35 PM »

If only there were a way for nations of our continent to better integrate their economies, jointly improve infrastructure, and multilaterally collaborate on regional security issues. Silly me though. Nationalism is so important and it is not as if this holds any shred of promise for Europe, South America, or Africa. Why would I, or anyone else for that matter, want to give it much consideration?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2011, 10:25:36 PM »

This guy wasn't even planning on permanently relocating to the US. He was just chilling around here. If it had been someone from another state in that state, it'd be no big deal. So why should Canada be a big deal? I've yet to even hear a justification valid enough for customers at the Canadian border really. It's not like the EU countries are falling to shred over open borders.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2011, 01:46:27 AM »

CH,

So up to half of those entering the country illegally intend to reside permanently.  Ok.

Do you start off entering that country illegally?  Probably not, but I'd be interested to see stats regarding how many have tried to enter legally first or choose to enter illegally because the process of entering legally (becoming a citizen etc) takes too long and as such becomes impossible.

First, as to your implication that the process of legally entering the country takes too long and becomes impossible.

Let me not that as of 2009, there were approsximately 12,450,000 Legal Permanent Residents  in the United States  (see Table 1).  http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/statistics/publications/lpr

Second, as I have repeatedly provided examples, many of those who illegally enter the country (illegal entrants) could not legally enter the country as they are convicted felons.

Third, let me note that there is a class of illegal aliens for which I do have some sympathy - those who legally entered the country but were unable to get their visas extended due to government incompetence.

Finally, please drop the false assumption that legally entering the United States and seeking citizenship are closely related.  The fact is that millions of aliens legally enter the United States as students, tourists and legal workers, who have no desire/intention to seek citizenship.
Dgov
United States

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2011, 02:12:41 AM »

Strictly speaking, yes he should have been.  He broke the law, and should therefore suffer the consequences for doing so, even if it seems like a douchey thing to do.

As for whether or not the immigration law in question is fair/just, I'd have to say no.  But the odds of getting any serious immigration reform law passes is basically zero, given the high politicization of the issue over illegal immigration.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies