oregon
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 12:10:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  oregon
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: oregon  (Read 7534 times)
angus
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2004, 10:24:07 PM »

I think for right now, the Pacific Coast belongs to the Dems.  Oregon is not leaning GOP at all.  

Faulty analysis.  Very little of Oregon is on the Pacific Coast.  But the conclusion is serendipitously correct, unfortunately.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2004, 10:31:38 PM »

Don't forget the dot-bomb...
CTguy

« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2004, 10:57:00 PM »

Jesus is a Republican.  I guess the right-wing governor of Arkansas was right when he said God was rooting for Bush in this election.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2004, 11:02:42 PM »

Do we assume that's Jesus, as in Bienvenidos al foro Jesus.  Christ is Democrat.  Confucius is Republican.  No consensus on Mohammed.  Remember?  Or maybe we reached that conclusion before you arrived.  It's all just a blur now.  
CTguy

« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2004, 12:09:43 AM »

Ask Gov Hickabee or whatever his name is from Arkansas, he seems to be the expert of spirtuality and have a private line to Christ Almighty.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2004, 10:08:34 AM »

I don't think there is a trend at all.  You have to compare it to national numbers.  Bush did better than Dole in Oregon but he did better nationally as well.  Also, the Nader factor.

that is true.  but clinton did worse in oregon in 96 than he did in 92.  that only occured in a handful of states.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2005, 01:01:33 PM »

well we saw how accurate this was.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2005, 09:35:57 PM »

The thing about Oregon is that I do not see where Republicans can significantly improve. Portland is now nearly as liberal as Seattle - it votes about 75% Democratic, Seattle about 80%, and San Francisco about 85%. Areas like Jackson County are slowly trending Democrat. Wasco County (The Dalles), despite being an inland county very eastern in nature, barely voted Bush.

On the other hand, I see no areas trending Republican all that rapidly. Then again, I don't know all that much about Oregon.

Bob, any comments on this?
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2005, 09:56:51 PM »

Good points. I agree with most of what you said. But Multnomah is not a growth county, while the growing suburbs ringing it like Washington County are trending back to the GOP(Clinton picked up those counties for the Democrats in the '90's). Also, formerly populist, Democratic counties in eastern Oregon are now Republican strongholds- just compare the 1960 state map with 2004 and 2000. Some personal observations: I live in a very liberal city(Eugene in Lane County), but there were many more Bush supporters than in '00. Bush bumper stickers were EVERYWHERE, although Kerry's did outnumber his by a decent margin. Anyways, I'm not trying to say that Oregon will go Republican in '08, but it definitely is trending towards the GOP.

BTW, Wasco went solidly for Clinton. It's no longer really "eastern" in character, as Portlanders have moved in changing the demographics(like Mono in California).
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2005, 10:07:02 PM »

Good points. I agree with most of what you said. But Multnomah is not a growth county, while the growing suburbs ringing it like Washington County are trending back to the GOP(Clinton picked up those counties for the Democrats in the '90's). Also, formerly populist, Democratic counties in eastern Oregon are now Republican strongholds- just compare the 1960 state map with 2004 and 2000. Some personal observations: I live in a very liberal city(Eugene in Lane County), but there were many more Bush supporters than in '00. Bush bumper stickers were EVERYWHERE, although Kerry's did outnumber his by a decent margin. Anyways, I'm not trying to say that Oregon will go Republican in '08, but it definitely is trending towards the GOP.

BTW, Wasco went solidly for Clinton. It's no longer really "eastern" in character, as Portlanders have moved in changing the demographics(like Mono in California).

I suppose this is true. However, Kerry did win Washington County by 6 when Gore won the county by 2 (Nader would make it 6 - but still). Wink

The same thing actually happened in Lane County, where Nader seriously kicked butt in 2000. By the way, Eugene is a great city - I've been there twice, and liked it a lot both times. Bumper stickers aside (saw two Bush ones, two Kerry ones) it's a nice town. Tongue

Clackamas County is what I'd worry about. With Nader inputted, it pretty much trended Republican by a bit. Still, I think a Democrat like Bayh would kick butt in Oregon.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2005, 10:47:03 PM »
« Edited: January 05, 2005, 10:51:21 PM by Alcon »

Yeah, Bayh would hammer the Republican in Oregon- I'm thinking with 56-57 percent.

One wierd, Republican trending county is Coos. It's a coastal county in southern Oregon that's traditionally Democratic- it even went for McGovern. But it trended right in the '90's, and switched to Bush in 2000. Now it's solidly Republican.

I think the major threat to the Democrats is southern Oregon. During the campaign, I remember seeing a local news report that said Kerry was tied with Bush in Jackson County, a Republican stronghold where Medford is. Bush ended up sweeping Jackson, along with the rest of southern Oregon just as in 2000. Medford is rapidly growing with an influx of Californians, and it's very conservative.

BTW, I've got some election statistics for the city of Eugene. With a 92 percent turnout(!), Kerry wiped Bush out, winning 67 percent of the vote. He carried all eight City Council wards and all but 4 of 34 precints.

Yeah, Coos is probably slowly trending Republican, in the same way Clackamas did.

As for Jackson, I didn't buy that for a second. Unless Medford drops off of the earth and Ashland becomes a major city, Jackson will not be in play. That poll was probably damaged by its limited sample size, and was likely done by an unexperienced pollster.

I honestly don't much about Medford other than that the parts I've seen are horribly ugly and have bad food. However, unless the city of Medford is larger than the Medford census area (which I think is not true), the census data shows that Medford isn't growing very fast - I believe below Jackson County rate.

By the way, any idea how Ashland votes? Great town. I wish Jackson County would released their darned precinct results!

EDIT: This article states that Kerry won nine precincts in the Ashland and Talent areas (Talent is Democratic?!) combined. Ashland has six precincts - I'm not sure how many Talent has, or whether Kerry got all precincts in Ashland.

Apparently Bush got 59% in Medford and won 2-to-1 or 3-to-1 in Central Point, Rogue River, and other rural areas.

Also: "In three of Ashland’s six precincts, five times as many voters favored Kerry as Bush."
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2005, 11:51:50 PM »

one of the reasosns my avatar is Oregon is that it is economically moderate and socially moderate/liberal. It leans left but will vote for a republican if it's good eough, and most importantly, it has amazing natural beauty Smiley
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2005, 06:49:11 AM »

Bob, can you tell me why Nader did so unusually well in Oregon in 1996?
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2005, 03:26:39 AM »

I have heard that the city of Portland issued caps on the size it was allowed to spread, and that totally rejuvinated the city center and turned what was looking like another Buffalo into a relative economic sucess...true or false?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2005, 01:47:52 AM »

Also, in addition to Hughento's question, has the school system improved? I recall the way they had it, the city kept approving taxes that the state struck down and Portland's schools were spiraling into destruction.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies