Kyl to retire
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:32:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Kyl to retire
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6
Author Topic: Kyl to retire  (Read 13046 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: February 14, 2011, 10:27:49 PM »

If the Republicans end up nominating Pearce for the district it could be an interesting race. I think he would ultimately win, but it would be a lot closer than if any other Republican ran there.

I doubt Steve Pearce is going to ditch his House seat just to move to Arizona and run for a different one. Tongue
http://tucsoncitizen.com/in-the-aggregate/2011/02/13/russell-pearce-to-run-for-us-congress-if-jeff-flake-runs-for-kyl%E2%80%99s-us-senate-seat/

Why would Russell Pearce make it closer. If anything he would be stronger because his name recognition is higher. Now if a bunch of hispanics get put here maybe.

But its R+15, presently with a lot of mormons in it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arizona%27s_6th_congressional_district
Capitan Zapp Brannigan
Addicted to Politics

« Reply #101 on: February 14, 2011, 10:49:26 PM »

If the Republicans end up nominating Pearce for the district it could be an interesting race. I think he would ultimately win, but it would be a lot closer than if any other Republican ran there.

I doubt Steve Pearce is going to ditch his House seat just to move to Arizona and run for a different one. Tongue
http://tucsoncitizen.com/in-the-aggregate/2011/02/13/russell-pearce-to-run-for-us-congress-if-jeff-flake-runs-for-kyl%E2%80%99s-us-senate-seat/

Why would Russell Pearce make it closer. If anything he would be stronger because his name recognition is higher. Now if a bunch of hispanics get put here maybe.

But its R+15, presently with a lot of mormons in it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arizona%27s_6th_congressional_district
Ties to neo-nazis.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #102 on: February 14, 2011, 10:55:08 PM »

Ties to neo-nazis.

How big are the ties?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #103 on: February 14, 2011, 11:10:39 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #104 on: February 14, 2011, 11:17:29 PM »

Would any of that really be problematic? It's the most Republican district in Arizona, I doubt any of that would cause him any problems in a seat that favorable.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #105 on: February 14, 2011, 11:46:47 PM »

Yea, that doesn't seem like enough for this district.

Now he will probably underperform Flake on a regular basis (which is different from asking if he would do worse then someone else as any new guy would do worse then Flake) but, like Franks has done in several elections, Pearce would stuggle to get above 60% while his predecessor won by 2-1 or more (in the case of Franks, Stump's last two results were 67% and 66%, while Franks kept getting in the high 50's in five elections until he got 65% in 2010).
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #106 on: February 15, 2011, 10:34:48 AM »

Looks like Sheriff Joe is running for Kyle's seat.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #107 on: February 15, 2011, 10:37:39 AM »
« Edited: February 15, 2011, 10:40:39 AM by Torie »

Oh God, say it ain't so. On the other hand if he wins the nomination, and the sheriff of Pima County gets the Dem nomination (the guy who blamed the slaughter in Tuscon on caustic right wing political discourse), at least we will get a rather entertaining circus act. But no. No!
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #108 on: February 15, 2011, 10:39:42 AM »

Oh God, say it ain't so.

Now might be a good time for that conversation with God Wink  Joe might be convinced to go for it.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #109 on: February 15, 2011, 10:41:06 AM »

Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #110 on: February 15, 2011, 10:51:45 AM »

I guess Democrats have a chance after all. Tongue
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #111 on: February 15, 2011, 11:01:03 AM »

Will you break out the popcorn if Arpaio decides to enter the race and perhaps win, b33?  Wink
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #112 on: February 15, 2011, 11:25:31 AM »

Will you break out the popcorn if Arpaio decides to enter the race and perhaps win, b33?  Wink

It's one of those inside-the-tent-pissing-out things vs. on-the-outside-pissing-in things. He's the most powerful guy in the state so maybe we should just be honest about it.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #113 on: February 15, 2011, 11:38:59 AM »
« Edited: February 15, 2011, 11:56:26 AM by I Love You So Much It's Killing Us Both »

I have a tough time seeing a 78-year old man (will be 80 at the time of election) as the candidate.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #114 on: February 15, 2011, 12:10:12 PM »

It's one of those inside-the-tent-pissing-out things vs. on-the-outside-pissing-in things. He's the most powerful guy in the state so maybe we should just be honest about it.

It was a sincere question, sort of.  If he runs, in my view, he's unstoppable.  Kyl's departure has opened the door for him........so we'll see.  Eat the popcorn quick before Sheriff Joe pisses on it.  Wink
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #115 on: February 15, 2011, 12:22:20 PM »

It was a sincere question, sort of.  If he runs, in my view, he's unstoppable.  Kyl's departure has opened the door for him........so we'll see.  Eat the popcorn quick before Sheriff Joe pisses on it.  Wink

Oh, I do take him seriously.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #116 on: February 15, 2011, 03:25:26 PM »

I have a tough time seeing a 78-year old man (will be 80 at the time of election) as the candidate.

the pink underwear thing would also be an issue in a competitive election.
Mexino Vote
OKUSA
United States

« Reply #117 on: February 15, 2011, 09:48:58 PM »

That nut might run? Oh God. Y'all know how anti-illegal I am, but he's just NUTS!
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #118 on: February 16, 2011, 12:25:00 PM »

I dunno man. He didn't even do that well in his last re-election bid for Sherriff. Personally I think he's the best shot Dems have.

Speaking of which, what about Harry Mitchell?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #119 on: February 16, 2011, 12:46:25 PM »

I dunno man. He didn't even do that well in his last re-election bid for Sherriff. Personally I think he's the best shot Dems have.

Speaking of which, what about Harry Mitchell?

Badg, and old worn out coot like him?  Neh.  People might vote for Sheriff Joe just get him the hell out of AZ Wink
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #120 on: February 18, 2011, 01:53:02 PM »

Napolitano ain't running - guess she conducted a poll.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #121 on: February 18, 2011, 03:21:34 PM »

Napolitano ain't running - guess she conducted a poll.

No doubt......and really, she has enormous power now.....Senator is almost like taking a step backward.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #122 on: March 29, 2011, 08:48:36 PM »

It's primary time: Trent Franks is running.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #123 on: March 30, 2011, 05:41:59 PM »

If thats the case, Flake may be screwed. His glaring vulnerability is an issue at the top of GOP primary voter's minds, and Franks is on the right side of that arguement.
Capitan Zapp Brannigan
Addicted to Politics

« Reply #124 on: March 31, 2011, 06:04:21 PM »

Giffords aides lay groundwork for Senate run:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/31/us/politics/31giffords.html?_r=1

I don't think they realize the scope of the challenge in recovering from an injury like hers. One point it makes is that there are Democrats ready to enter the race but don't want to enter before they find out what Giffords ends up doing.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies