And then Egypt! Mubarak resigns - Egypt made its Revolution
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 08:08:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  And then Egypt! Mubarak resigns - Egypt made its Revolution
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23
Author Topic: And then Egypt! Mubarak resigns - Egypt made its Revolution  (Read 49915 times)
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #425 on: February 11, 2011, 12:38:32 PM »

so which country is next?  Saudi Arabia?  Jordan?
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #426 on: February 11, 2011, 12:39:15 PM »

Pray that the radical islamists don't gain control.
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #427 on: February 11, 2011, 12:40:15 PM »

He was clearly on the way out anyway, but this is probably the best way for all concerned. Excellent.

Anyway, does this mark the end of the regime as well as Muburak personally? In power since 1952, don't forget.
Might yet happen, but certainly hasn't yet - the last part of the thread header is quite clearly plain false.

Oh, the Constitution part is false?
"Egypt made its revolution" is false. As of today. It might happen yet - not that the west would welcome that.

Yeah, I'm aware that technically it's optimistic, in the same way that technically we can't speak of revolution for Tunisia, but the fact that in both countries both dictators fell because of the people would mean that both the systems in place would fall, which is quite done in Tunisia.

And, overall, for this title it's because in term of feeling, it's feeling that a Revolution happened.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #428 on: February 11, 2011, 12:45:32 PM »

No, not even in the sense of Tunisia.
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #429 on: February 11, 2011, 12:48:52 PM »

No, not even in the sense of Tunisia.

Technically I know. Tongue. But still:

And, overall, for this title it's because in term of feeling, it's feeling that a Revolution happened.

And now people in Tunis chanting:

ONE! TWO! THREE! VIVA L'ALGERIE!

...about the day of protest there tomorrow.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #430 on: February 11, 2011, 12:58:31 PM »

After Jmcfst's posts in this thread, I'm now convinced the US army should crack down on the Tea Party and Evangelical Republicans. Even if a majority of Alabamans wants to live under Christian Sharia we should make sure they don't get that. Tactical bombardments of major civilian targets in the region should kill enough of the Christian Taliban to make sure the rest keeps quiet. The fact that John Thune hasn't yet advocated this move is the evidence of his low IQ, I'd say he'd only score 60 or so.

dude, the only social law I want overturned is Roe v Wade, so that the decision is made at the state level.  America was hardly under Christian Sharia prior to 1973's Roe decision.  But thanks for showing the stupidity of your views, it helps demonstrate my point.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #431 on: February 11, 2011, 01:00:29 PM »

According to some media reports, defense minister Mohamed Tantawi will be in charge of the new military government.

Well, he is in charge of Supreme Council of Armed Forces, to which Mubarak handed power, that doesn't call as a govt.

If Constitution is respected, power being officially free, the Presidency by interim should go to the President of Parliament, and in case they would be problem with that, and the President of Parliament recognized himself in the earlier days that last result of Parliamentary elections were not fair, then it should go to the President of Constitutional Council, which is what the opposition front wanted. Hopefully that's what will happen for the best transition possible, with the military only guaranteeing everything happens this way and Suleiman staying out of it.

I heard that the military has dissolved parliament. I guess this means there isn't a president of parliament either anymore.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #432 on: February 11, 2011, 01:22:48 PM »

the military has ruled Egypt for the last 60 years...the question is what will be the outcome in 3-5 years.
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #433 on: February 11, 2011, 02:52:30 PM »

the military has ruled Egypt for the last 60 years...the question is what will be the outcome in 3-5 years.

You eat your hat.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #434 on: February 11, 2011, 02:57:18 PM »

Terrible news.  Hopefully actual democracy can be averted later.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #435 on: February 11, 2011, 03:02:23 PM »

Precisely.  I don't really see why you all prefer it.  When the vast majority of people are horrible, as is almost always the case, why do you prefer this system?

Certainly jmfcst is quite correct that the great majority of Egyptians want sharia law.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #436 on: February 11, 2011, 03:10:40 PM »

Precisely.  I don't really see why you all prefer it.  When the vast majority of people are horrible, as is almost always the case, why do you prefer this system?

Certainly jmfcst is quite correct that the great majority of Egyptians want sharia law.

But opebo, they don't have democracy now and would you say the average Egyptian is anything but oppressed?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #437 on: February 11, 2011, 03:40:53 PM »

I'm hoping everything will go fine now, but the fact Mubarak is finally out doesn't mean Egypt will become a democracy.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #438 on: February 11, 2011, 03:43:49 PM »

one picture:  Preview of Secular Egyptian Democracy

think i'll use this in my sig
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #439 on: February 11, 2011, 03:45:21 PM »

It is quite possible that an actual functional democracy could come out of this, just as possible as it will become an Islamic Republic.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #440 on: February 11, 2011, 03:57:19 PM »

and just think - within that Muslim "democratic" mob, 97 percent of married Egyptian women between the ages of 15 and 49 had undergone forced female genital mutilation.
Mexino Vote
OKUSA
United States

« Reply #441 on: February 11, 2011, 03:58:47 PM »

some of my republican friends in Norman are tools. "It's democracy in the making"

yea, and radical islam may take over Egypt. Such a "democracy"
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #442 on: February 11, 2011, 03:59:38 PM »

I'm not entirely sure what 'secular democracy' is, but whatever it might be I'd not have put you down as much of a fan, jmf.
Iosif

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: -3.65

« Reply #443 on: February 11, 2011, 04:02:20 PM »

and just think - within that Muslim "democratic" mob, 97 percent of married Egyptian women between the ages of 15 and 49 had undergone forced female genital mutilation.

97%! That seems like a trustworthy stat.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #444 on: February 11, 2011, 04:14:10 PM »
« Edited: February 11, 2011, 04:20:42 PM by jmfcst »

97%! That seems like a trustworthy stat.

well, excluding really perverted examples, it certainly isn't >100%...if that makes you feel any better.  
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #445 on: February 11, 2011, 04:28:25 PM »

You do realize that in the context of government secular means religiously neutral, right? Kind of like how 80-85% of the US has a Christian population, but the government itself doesn't (or at least isn't supposed to) advocate the Christian religion? Religious people can support a secular government too, you know.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #446 on: February 11, 2011, 04:33:34 PM »

I have no problem with people praying.
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #447 on: February 11, 2011, 04:43:52 PM »

.k, it's time to answer a bit now so that this night full of promises for Egypt isn't totally obscured by insulting non-senses.

Outside of all the insulting stuffs, coming mainly from the same poster, comparing the demands of a people for Right and Justice to 'hot-dogs and apple pies' iirc, and implying that all those human being would suddenly turn into extremist nasty robots, or that they would just stupidly follow speeches, that some eventual leader would spread in the country within 3-5 years. And this mainly based on the fact that 'MB is the main opposition force', and that a lot of people belong to low classes (well, I guess at least since all what I've read doesn't come with a lot of arguments).

So, MB.

MB has been the easy specter used by the crook regime of Mubarak to make him fancy toward the 'nice democracies' which enjoyed finding a dictatorship which did what they wanted it to do, and in counter-part Mubarak could easily enjoy the exploitation and screwing of his country. This was mainly based on the spectacular fact that some guys which once belonged to MB murdered the preceding head of state, no matter whether those guy had cut with MB when they did that. So it was 30 years ago, beginning of the specter and in the same time beginning of the exploitation of a country by a family and a dictatorial system.

MB has then been forbidden as a political force, but tolerated as a social one. Then that's what they became, while Mubarak was screwing his country and then letting social situations of people being screwed, then with MB people found some guys who provided education, social care, and overall who were allegedly free of corruption which reigned in the Mubarak regime.

Then, what happened? Indeed those people earned some popularity toward a part of the population who was screwed by the regime and to which MB carried some care and were legitimately seen as the good guys in that game.

Meanwhile, Mubarak really screwed his country on all levels, not only economical and social, but political too. Then he did shut his regime to the existence of credible opposition, then what happened is that some people who were really fed up with that corrupt exploiters were more inclined to express a radical opposition toward it. MB, which amongst the different kinds of speeches it could have, also played with radical speeches, and could have attracted a bit more population this way.

In the end, MB was useful to the regime because they relatively accepted this role of 'main shadow opposition' and Mubarak could use them to threaten everybody. Those both things, regime and MB finished by installing themselves in that couple relationship which wasn't disturbed by a lot of people. And what happened during the last elections? Here it goes: the regime made a deal with MB, which resulted on an agreed number of sits in the Parliament to MB. This could have last a long time, till that one day, maybe, and it was something I kinda redoubted before all what happened in the Arab world, MB gains more and more influence this way, benefiting on the over-corrupt and over-unjust regime of Mubarak family from which the son could have taken the follow, and could have made things worst, then maybe in the end it could have resulted in MB raising a revolution against the corrupt system, maybe, the neat couple could have also continued on a long time.

But too bad, all this kinky 'nasty Muslims are taking over' apocalyptic scenario has been disturbed by reality. By the reality of a people that was fed up of this scenario written by this neat couple, by a people claiming for Rights and Justice, and that's what won tonight, what won is the Demand for Rights and Justice, something that are asked by most human beings on Earth, and now the Arab world wants it too, and this is putting this neat old couple on the side of the road.

So, if we continue to speak about reality, in case some people are interested about it, most if not all different observers about Egypt, some rather neutral people, some people who can describe something with speaking of the worst and the best, without agendas, say that MB would have a clear concrete influence on 5 millions of Egyptians, this over 80 millions of Egyptians. They estimate that if they were to compete in some elections, they could earn between 15 and 20%.

Moreover, let's continue to speak about what is MB, which is by far the main Islamist organization in Egypt. MB is something that is knowing a rupture of generation. On one side you have the good old graddies of about 70 years old, who enjoy to have the good old Islamist fantasies about religion ruling politics, maybe offensive toward Israel, stuffs like that. And what's the other part? The other which would certainly be the most important since it's the youngest is something which would kinda dreaming on being a kind of AKP (Turkey) force. That is some people who would have some relatively soft 'Islamist demands' politically, and overall some pragmatic and responsible persons, and some persons who care about their nation, and one knows that Egyptian nationalism can be strong. So that's realistically what you could fear at worst, that is in case those guys finally go beyond 20% of the electorate in some elections, as AKP it could gain most of its electorate in the poor countrysides of the country, and have relatively demagogist policies toward them, but so much far things from 'Taliban are going to take Egypt over!!'. An AKP style govt could be the worst Egypt gives. Wow.

And all of this is letting aside the clear and determined momentum of those people and of this Revolution which has been made will be continued to be made in the name of Rights and Justice.

Now, some people may prefer the kinky fantasies of nasty Talibans attacking Israel tomorrow, kinky fantasies and imagination use to be more fancy than reality, but I fear reality remains reality, and human beings remain normal human beings, who use to be pragmatic and who overall want a good life for them and their relatives, which they didn't have and which could have given a bit of strength to forces who could have exploited that situation, like MB. It's a luck that the dynamic that begun now is a new dynamic.

What could come out of all of this could be quite subtle and interesting, and I really wish them the best, and people should realistically do the same.

Ah, and, let's stop the insulting non-senses about 'genital mutilation', please, that may be hard, but let's stick reality. In that sense, maybe you just mixed the gender, it's not 97% of females that would be mutilated there, but you know, more likely 97% of males.

Oh, and isn't it wise? All those people praying, most spiritual persons around the world should like this spiritual dimension of a population.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #448 on: February 11, 2011, 04:58:24 PM »
« Edited: February 11, 2011, 05:01:08 PM by Bacon King »

For the record on the genital mutilation thing- studies show it's prevalence to be anywhere between 79% to 97%; it's been on the decline however since it was banned with many religious leaders even openly denouncing the practice. 
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #449 on: February 11, 2011, 07:20:03 PM »

It's really silly that jmfcst and others like him are allowed to vote for their militarily aggressive religious nationalist party in the United States but Egyptians aren't allowed to do the same in their country.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies