Huntsman "leaning towards a run."
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 03:11:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Huntsman "leaning towards a run."
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Huntsman "leaning towards a run."  (Read 6362 times)
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2011, 09:25:44 PM »

I remain skeptical, and I think he won't run personally, but if he does it just adds another good candidate into the race. I prefer Daniels, but Huntsman is also a stellar administrator and someone I'd have no qualms voting for.
This user has not been convicted of 34 felonies
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2011, 09:29:56 PM »

I remain skeptical, and I think he won't run personally, but if he does it just adds another good candidate into the race. I prefer Daniels, but Huntsman is also a stellar administrator and someone I'd have no qualms voting for.

Nor would I and, ultimately, Huntsman is more capable of picking up swing states than any other generic Repub.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2011, 09:38:08 PM »

I agree that him being an Obama appointee is not helpful with the primary electorate. Besides that, the GOP only nominates party stars, they've done that since Nixon.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2011, 11:01:53 PM »

did Huntsman support the $T Stimulus?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2011, 11:02:06 PM »

Wait! I just heard the best of the latest conspiracies!

Remember how the President nominated Huntsman because he didn't want to face him in 2012? Reasonable theory, right? Well, I just had a friend tell me that Obama selected Huntsman so Huntsman would run for President and cost Romney the nomination, out of fear of facing Mitt in the General.

After I told him that there was nothing to back that up and it was ridiculous to just dream up such theories, he told me he's "a realist" and that I "trust these politicians too much."

Haha, and, of course, Obama appointing a governor to be ambassador to China really doesn't have to do with his ability to steal votes from Mittens
Iosif

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: -3.65

« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2011, 01:43:32 AM »

Huntsman: 'We are loyal to our country and our President'

Not two weeks ago.

This means he can't run for President?

I didn't say that. No need to get your precious little panties in a twist.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2011, 05:30:06 AM »

Don't do it.  The Republican Party isn't exactly inviting for independent-minded conservatives like himself at this moment in time.  Would it hurt for him to wait until the 2016 race?

Waiting until 2016 would make eminent sense. Indeed, should he wait until 2016 he would be in a good position to be the savior of the GOP that had gone through some political catastrophes.

I can see much going wrong for the GOP between now and 2016, including rifts within the GOP between the corporate wing and the Religious Right, the nomination of a lunatic-fringe politician who gives President Obama a landslide, and Tea Party attacks on comparative moderates that cause moderates to either run as independents or the defeat of the Tea Party extremists by Democrats. 2016 could be a catastrophe for Republicans in the Senate with many of the Hard Right winners of 2010  in 'purple' or 'blue' states having worn out their welcome. Such includes IL, PA, and WI.

Add to that, some of the current Republican Senators are decidedly old. Democrats lost one Senate seat because of a death (Ted Kennedy). I need not name names. 

The political polarization that became so severe in the last decade or so is going to create its own problems, and moderate conservatives might have a chance. Let's remember that if the Republicans offer no viable chance for moderate conservatives, then the Democrats will -- especially in Southern states like Georgia and Texas.

Barack Obama may prove all but invincible in 2012. So it is with any incumbent who does at least a fair job as President. Remember what Dubya got away with before being re-elected. But barring a repeal of the 22nd Amendment, the Democrats themselves will have their own contest for a successor. A 76-year-old Joe Biden who wasn't electable as President when he was in his 50s or 60s  won't be electable in 2016. Your guess is as good as mine on who would seek to be the Democratic successor to President Obama. 

Perhaps as the result of a well-earned drubbing in 2012, the GOP will have to re-invent itself by poaching constituencies that the Democrats neglected.   
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2011, 05:52:56 AM »

If he wanted to run for president in 2012, then I don't really understand why he decided to accept this brief stint as ambassador to China, since it seems like it would have been more likely to hurt him than help him.

If he does run, then I do look forward to seeing him square off against Trump in the debates, since Trump's only issue seems to be "America is being too nice to China".
Guderian

« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2011, 11:55:12 AM »

Don't do it.  The Republican Party isn't exactly inviting for independent-minded conservatives like himself at this moment in time. 

Of course, Democratic Party in 2008 was just crying for an ex-Bush ambassador to win their nomination, but such person didn't show up so they settled for Obama. Please, let's not make Huntsman a victim of evil Republican base. Basically, once you accept a cross-party administration job you killed your chances of ever winning a presidential primary in your own party. Democrat or Republican.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2011, 02:53:29 PM »

President Obama knew what he was doing when he appointed Huntsman to an ambassadorial post in China. Of course for so difficult and critical position you need someone other than a political hack. China could well be the key for constraining one of the most dangerous regimes (North Korea), and he seemed to fit the task.

Huntsman is enough of a patriot to recognize that his success in dealings with the PRC can ensure the re-election of President Obama but also that such is worth the political damage to the GOP. Maybe he calculated that President Obama would be unbeatable in 2012 and figured that the next good chance for any Republican to win the Presidency was 2016.

He now has lost support in the GOP, and it is going to take time for him to build any political apparatus and get popular recognition. By all accounts he was a good administrator as a governor, so if in the aftermath of some catastrophic defeats of the GOP 2016 arrives with rifts among Democrats, then he might be the right person to win moderates that the GOP has lost.

Most Republicans recognize only one suitable form of diplomacy -- bullying. The PRC cannot be bullied.

Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2011, 04:58:27 PM »

Most Republicans recognize only one suitable form of diplomacy -- bullying. The PRC cannot be bullied.

Well they could be bullied; that would just be a very bad idea.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2011, 10:13:51 AM »
« Edited: January 29, 2011, 10:19:17 AM by Torie »

Oh my!  I have someone I can support!  Smiley

Huntsman will have a reasonable chance. Voters will like him once they get to know him (smart, genial, informed and reasonable - to wit a very thoughtful and considered man who thinks before he opens his mouth). I would like to believe the Pubbies understand that they need to nominate an adult. I think most Pubbies have an open mind as to whom they will support, and want to see the candidates run their laps myself before getting too tied to the hip to anyone.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2011, 10:39:57 AM »

I don't think anyone actually believes - surely Huntsman included - that a turncoat traitor Obama-ite sellout (or whatever) is going to make it through a primary.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2011, 12:15:14 PM »

I don't think anyone actually believes - surely Huntsman included - that a turncoat traitor Obama-ite sellout (or whatever) is going to make it through a primary.

Not in 2012 anyway. 
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2011, 12:20:06 PM »

This is SUCH a joke. The Tea Party will not allow Republicans to vote in someone who worked with Obama, no way, no how. I'd be surprised if the Tea Party allowed any sort of establishment candidate such as Romney. If given permission to run by the Tea Party, I doubt Huntsman would win regardless.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2011, 12:58:39 PM »

Oh, I'm sorry, Torie. I should have specified that Huntsman is a Republican!
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2011, 02:02:21 PM »

Oh, I'm sorry, Torie. I should have specified that Huntsman is a Republican!

A suspicious one at that. I don't mind the Obama association, but his relationship with McCain and his campaign apparatus from 08 alarms me.
WBCKansas
Rookie

« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2011, 08:30:24 PM »

Didn't America have to deal with one Mormon already? I mean really. Mormons are sinners.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2011, 08:33:13 PM »

Didn't America have to deal with one Mormon already? I mean really. Mormons are sinners.

Who says so?
WBCKansas
Rookie

« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2011, 08:34:40 PM »

Who says so?

God. And Fred.

Both are right.

Are you a sinner? I'm assuming you are because your're a republican
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2011, 08:43:47 PM »

Who says so?

God. And Fred.

Both are right.

And why should one mans opinion determine the eligibility of a President?

Yes, I am. But thats none of your business.
WBCKansas
Rookie

« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2011, 08:44:43 PM »

Who says so?

God. And Fred.

Both are right.

Fred Phelps is the only right choce for President. If only Helms, Thurmond, and Byrd were alive Sad
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2011, 08:49:10 PM »

I like the guy above.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2011, 08:59:31 PM »

Who says so?

God. And Fred.

Both are right.

Fred Phelps is the only right choce for President. If only Helms, Thurmond, and Byrd were alive Sad
Who is Fred Phelps? 
Oh wait, is that the guy who makes his family members hold signs protesting anything and everything bad as punishment from God for tolerating gays?  Or is that someone else?

The Olympic swimmer?

And no, I will not use Google!
WBCKansas
Rookie

« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2011, 09:04:42 PM »

Who says so?

God. And Fred.

Both are right.

Who is Fred Phelps? 
Oh wait, is that the guy who makes his family members hold signs protesting anything and everything bad as punishment from God for tolerating gays?  Or is that someone else?

The Olympic swimmer?

And no, I will not use Google!

That's not nice making fun of Fred. Meanie. Sad
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies