Clinton Republicans and Reagan Democrats
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:10:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Clinton Republicans and Reagan Democrats
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Clinton Republicans and Reagan Democrats  (Read 1280 times)
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 11, 2011, 01:39:18 PM »

When I was in college, I was a poli sci major and wrote a paper on how reactionaries have taken over both parties, forever changing the demographics of the republican and democratic parties.

Here is what I call a "Reagan Democrat" reactionary. This person was raised by parents who were staunch FDR Democrats. They were enthusiastic supporters for Kennedy and Johnson and their ushering in for a new utopian world. Between the 1964 and 1968 elections a political earthquake shook this country (read Nixonland for more information). After the 1968 democratic national convention disaster in Chicago, these people split their votes between Wallace and Nixon. In 1972 they rallied behind Richard Nixon with his appeal for a "silent majority". In 1976, they returned to the democratic party and supported Jimmy Carter and his outsider appeal. But by 1980, they deserted the party once again, this time for good, to vote for Reagan. This person has been a republican ever since and whines incessantly about how the democratic party has become the party of commies and queers.

Here is what I call a "Clinton Republican" reactionary. They were raised by staunch Dewey/Eisenhower Republicans. This person voted republican in every election from 1960 to 1988, except in 1964, because they thought Goldwater was a fecking idiot. These people were OK with Nixon and Reagan and voted for them, but were huge supporters of Gerald Ford in 1976. From 1972 to 1988, Republicans won all but one election by decent margins because of united support from these two groups. The "Clinton Republican" was a republican until the 1992 convention in Houston when the two Pats (Buchanan and Robertson) made controversial comments. They instead decided to vote for Clinton or Perot in 1992. They returned to vote republican in the 1994 midterm elections giving the party massive gains nationwide, but became appalled by Speaker Gingrich and were democrats from 1996 to the present. This person would be someone who has an advanced degree and works in a high tech industry. They despise the republican party for accepting the homeschooling reconstructionist types.

phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 03:57:56 PM »

On Clinton Republicans, I think they mostly took root after Clinton's term and came to fruition afterwards.

IT's probably more appropriate to title them "Clinton era Republicans".
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 06:41:39 PM »

Your description of Reagan Democrats seems more negative than your description of Clinton Republicans, for obvious reasons.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 08:04:47 PM »

Your description of Reagan Democrats seems more negative than your description of Clinton Republicans, for obvious reasons.
I noticed that too.
The Economist
Rookie
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 12:02:13 AM »

Do Clinton Republicans really politically exist? I mean, Clinton himself was effectively an Ike Republican but I don't know ...
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 01:23:41 AM »

Do Clinton Republicans really politically exist? I mean, Clinton himself was effectively an Ike Republican but I don't know ...

sure they exist. Just ask the residents of Vermont, New Jersey or California.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 01:25:19 PM »

New Jersey is probably not the best example. The same places have been voting Democrat, and the same places have been voting Republican for the past 15 years.

As a result you get a 54-43% win every single time, give or take a couple %.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 01:30:52 PM »

New Jersey is probably not the best example. The same places have been voting Democrat, and the same places have been voting Republican for the past 15 years.

As a result you get a 54-43% win every single time, give or take a couple %.

Very few actual Clinton Republicans exist. There are Republicans who were influenced by him and the DLC during the the 1990s and his presidency. They didn't really start voting in D till 2000-2008. The last holdouts came through in 2008.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies