Help Regarding Republican and Democratic National Conventions
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:00:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Help Regarding Republican and Democratic National Conventions
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Help Regarding Republican and Democratic National Conventions  (Read 1407 times)
Ariosto
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 23, 2011, 09:40:23 PM »

I haven't been on this board for a while, so I am unsure as to where this should go.

Anyway, I am starting to write a story of sorts, but I need information on the state delegations from 1916 to 1968 and how they voted at the National Conventions for both Parties (I only need 64 and 68 for the story, but the rest would be nice). There are sources I have found that give me the overall results, but mine are going to be different from OTL. Any information on the 1964 Democratic Primaries would also be appreciated (the actual results by every state that held a primary. I know what states and who won them, but only the dates and results of three).
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 10:04:35 PM »

As for the 1964 Democratic Primaries, here are links to the results:

CA, FL, IL, IN, MA, MD, NE, NH, NJ, OR, PA, WI
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 06:19:35 PM »

I actually found state-by-state delegate vote total from the National Conventions in a book at my University's library. I'll see if I can post 1964 and 1968 for you (it didn't include the 1964 Democratic convention though) later today.
Ariosto
Rookie

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 09:39:46 PM »

I actually found state-by-state delegate vote total from the National Conventions in a book at my University's library. I'll see if I can post 1964 and 1968 for you (it didn't include the 1964 Democratic convention though) later today.

Thanks for your help. I have searched databases before, and I did find a University that had the information, but it was unfortunately on the other side of the country. Ironically though, it is the 1964 Democratic Convention that I most need. I would think that information like this would be more accessible.

What University are you at by the way?
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 10:23:58 PM »

There is a similar book at my college's library which contains results from 1836-1972 or so, including votes on particular resolutions on the floor of the conventions, if you'd be interested in that.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 11:04:36 PM »
« Edited: January 24, 2011, 11:06:42 PM by Pacific Councilor realisticidealist »

Here are spreadsheets with the following Convention delegate vote totals by state:

1964 Republican National Convention
1968 Republican National Convention
1968 Democratic National Convention

There is a similar book at my college's library which contains results from 1836-1972 or so, including votes on particular resolutions on the floor of the conventions, if you'd be interested in that.

That's probably the same book I'm looking at.
The Economist
Rookie
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 11:55:35 PM »

I'm not sure, is there a book out there that catalogues not only popular vote but delegate allocations for races like 1976 GOP and 1980 GOP? I have a book that has the popular vote by state for these primaries but not the delegate allocation.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 12:02:13 AM »

I'm not sure, is there a book out there that catalogues not only popular vote but delegate allocations for races like 1976 GOP and 1980 GOP? I have a book that has the popular vote by state for these primaries but not the delegate allocation.

I have the 1976 Republican convention vote up here (I've put a fair few things regarding presidential primaries on the Wiki at the top of the page). I don't have anything for 1980 delegates at the moment.
Ariosto
Rookie

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 03:46:19 AM »
« Edited: January 25, 2011, 03:53:36 AM by Ariosto »

If you could put up the information on the state delegations in the 1964 Democratic Convention and how they voted, that would be great. Can you tell me the name of the book? I may just end up entering all that information into Wikipedia or something just so that there is a permanent resource on the internet in regard to that.

And thanks again realisticidealist, those spreadsheets are going to come in handy.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2011, 12:41:06 PM »

If you could put up the information on the state delegations in the 1964 Democratic Convention and how they voted, that would be great. Can you tell me the name of the book? I may just end up entering all that information into Wikipedia or something just so that there is a permanent resource on the internet in regard to that.

And thanks again realisticidealist, those spreadsheets are going to come in handy.

I just looked up some info on the 1964 Democratic Convention, and it appears that Johnson was nominated by acclamation without a vote being taken.
Ariosto
Rookie

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2011, 02:11:10 PM »

I just looked up some info on the 1964 Democratic Convention, and it appears that Johnson was nominated by acclamation without a vote being taken.

That would make sense. Well, is there any information on the state delegations themselves? I just need to know how many and from what state.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2011, 03:02:45 PM »

That would make sense. Well, is there any information on the state delegations themselves? I just need to know how many and from what state.

They gave a formula in the book. I'll go look when I get a chance.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2011, 07:15:31 PM »
« Edited: January 25, 2011, 07:20:00 PM by Pacific Councilor realisticidealist »

Here's what I found:

Delegate total for state=(State's 1964 electoral votes*3)+(State's 1960 vote for Kennedy / 100,000 rounded down)+(10 automatic delegates if state was carried by Kennedy)+Superdelegates

Total delegates=2,316

The number of superdelegates by state wasn't listed. It did say every state had at least as many delegates as in 1960, and it listed the delegations for a few territories:

DC: 16 delegates
Puerto Rico: 8
Canal Zone: 5
Virgin Islands: 5
Guam: 3

So for example, California probably had 152 delegates before counting superdelegates (40 EV*3 is 120 plus 3,224,099/100,000 is 32.24 which totaled is 152.24, rounded down)
Ariosto
Rookie

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2011, 09:39:57 PM »

Thanks, I'll do the calculations tomorrow. What I may do is keep the super-delegates separate; that, or I'll divvy them up  somehow.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies