Marist Poll: Obama approval increasing, destroys all Republicans
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:19:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  2012 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls
  Marist Poll: Obama approval increasing, destroys all Republicans
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Marist Poll: Obama approval increasing, destroys all Republicans  (Read 3343 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 14, 2011, 12:58:44 AM »

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2011/01/13/106788/poll-obama-rebounding-with-voters.html

http://maristpoll.marist.edu/wp-content/misc/usapolls/US110106/McClatchy/McClatchy_Marist%20Poll_National%20Survey_January%202011.pdf
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 01:43:34 AM »

Way too optimistic. Obama's numbers are undoubtedly on the upswing but I have a hard time believing that he beats Huckabee and Romney by double digits while the economy is still in such a sluggish state.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 04:48:08 AM »

Way too optimistic. Obama's numbers are undoubtedly on the upswing but I have a hard time believing that he beats Huckabee and Romney by double digits while the economy is still in such a sluggish state.

Neither Huckabee nor Romney has been offering any economic solutions.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 06:22:24 AM »

As if the average voter would know the difference in January 2011.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 01:12:51 PM »

As if the average voter would know the difference in January 2011.

I honestly believe there is some dim understanding among more and more voters that in the new era of impoverishment, right-wing voting is dangerous to ones life and health.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 03:28:34 PM »

What is to say that the economy will be in so sluggish a state in 2012? It is less sluggish than it was two years ago, when many people thought that we had an ongoing replay of the 1929-1933 meltdown.

I am not surprised at how the President matches up to Sarah Palin. People are beginning to recognize her for what she is. At this point I could see her doing as badly as Landon '36, Goldwater '64, McGovern '72, or Mondale '84 if she were the Republican nominee. Her rhetoric has become an object of ridicule. Hint: the money goes elsewhere. She can't raise enough money to offset the power of the 527 organizations.

ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 04:00:57 PM »

Indeed.  Luckily, it will have recovered by then.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 05:17:50 PM »

I have a feeling that the 2012 election is going to be pretty anti-climatic.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 10:20:35 PM »

And the GOP will claim it was due to their forcing the upper income tax cut extension.

Most optomistic numbers of this poll:

"Will Obama do a better job or worse job the next two years?

Better: 61%

Worse: 21%"

Even if this is an overly friendly voter sample as px75 suggests, those are some very bullish indicators about optomism for Obama.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011, 10:56:43 PM »

As much as I wish this poll were right, it does seem fishy.
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2011, 11:08:27 PM »

Although I doubt these numbers are accurate, it does slightly fit into the current trend right now. 
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2011, 11:17:54 PM »

On the other hand, Gallup had Obama at 49/43, and the RealClearPolitics average is 49/46, so that part of the poll is not out of line.

ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2011, 01:17:04 AM »

And the GOP will claim it was due to their forcing the upper income tax cut extension.

...putting them in the awkward position of having to praise Barack Obama for their supposed chief argument that they got the country out of the recession.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2011, 06:42:20 AM »

It won't matter what anybody claims; the fact is a tolerable economy = positive for incumbent regardless of specific policies or attributions of those.  However I suppose it is far from certain that the economy will be 'recovered' by that time.. or rather, whether it will be perceived to have recovered.
Iosif

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: -3.65

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2011, 08:12:33 AM »

That's not consistent with Palin's 15 point lead in Texas.

Trash poll.
albaleman
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.77, S: -4.52

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2011, 10:34:00 AM »

I don't believe this poll, though I can believe things are getting better for Obama. Odd they didn't poll Obama vs. Gingrich.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2011, 11:00:31 AM »

Maybe Americans are just in love with divided government? 
jbgator
Rookie
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2011, 11:30:05 AM »

Palin and Romney aren't the best candidates.  A new face needs to get some air time and get hype like Obama had.  Give Gingrich a microphone and watch him in the debates.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2011, 01:25:43 PM »

Palin and Romney aren't the best candidates.  A new face needs to get some air time and get hype like Obama had.  Give Gingrich a microphone and watch him in the debates.

Such would be the equivalent of bringing a knife to a gun fight.  Gingrich has done little debating. He'd be rusty. President Obama would beat Newt Gingrich at the former Congressman's supposed strength.

The GOP nominee is likely to be someone who has done "long and distinguished service to the Party" because it is going to have other concerns -- like perhaps taking over the Senate (still possible if Obama wins) and protecting the House majority (which shows no signs of offering anything other than a rehash of a stale agenda defeated in 2006). 
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2011, 12:09:06 AM »

Gingrich = "a new face"? Huh
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies