Afleitch for Mideast Assembly.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 05:55:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Afleitch for Mideast Assembly.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Afleitch for Mideast Assembly.  (Read 1918 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2011, 02:45:50 PM »

Thank you for posting that. But why is there reason to overturn the entire bill and not just simply amend it? And also we can't just let dead beat dads and moms off the hook, that doesn't get child support payments in either.

It could be amended, but it would be gutted in such a way that it would cease to be the bill it was. Why on earth was it called an 'Abortion Reduction' bill in the first instance as abortion is not touched in the bill at all? (On a side note if anything it encourages potential 'dead-beat dads' to pressure easily led and vulnerable partners to have an abortion rather than risk picking up the financial tab later)

What would be required is a Child Support and Maintenance Bill (call it for what it is) that sets out levels of child support payments, a payment programme and appropriate penalties for those who do not pay.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2011, 06:33:44 PM »

Thank you for posting that. But why is there reason to overturn the entire bill and not just simply amend it? And also we can't just let dead beat dads and moms off the hook, that doesn't get child support payments in either.

It could be amended, but it would be gutted in such a way that it would cease to be the bill it was. Why on earth was it called an 'Abortion Reduction' bill in the first instance as abortion is not touched in the bill at all? (On a side note if anything it encourages potential 'dead-beat dads' to pressure easily led and vulnerable partners to have an abortion rather than risk picking up the financial tab later)

What would be required is a Child Support and Maintenance Bill (call it for what it is) that sets out levels of child support payments, a payment programme and appropriate penalties for those who do not pay.

So once again, you think we shouldn't prosecute dead beat dads to stop abortions? If they're going to be a dead beat dad, chances are they are already out of the picture, or the mother doesn't even want his consent in the choice, this in fact supports a mother's choice for life because what we set up is a system that will help protect the child's financial future.
Junkie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -4.35

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2011, 07:07:38 PM »

That legislates to much and takes away from the power of the judiciary.  Judges set the levels of payment, and the payment schedules in civil law.  The penalties are appropriate.  They do not require prison, but have it as an option in cases where dead beat dads do nothing.  We have a unit in Milwaukee that steps in with prosecution only when all other avenues have been exhausted.  A criminal case can be dismissed if payments begin again, a judge can put someone on probation to pay, or in cases of clear violation put the offender in prison.  This is an appropriate solution that is currently working.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2011, 06:25:57 PM »

Feel free to weigh in on this: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=130752.0
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.45, S: -0.26

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2011, 01:09:18 AM »

I support it. How about you, afleitch?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2011, 05:29:00 AM »

It is a welcome amendment Smiley It's simple additions such as these that can make a bill workable.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2011, 12:22:11 AM »

lol, you don't like the Abortion Reduction Act because of the name? Wow.

No. As I outlined below;

The Abortion Reduction Act is also worrying. Section 2 is both extraordinarily harsh and based on often false stereotypes; child support payments may be missed due to factors such as sickness, immediate unemployment or even due to administrative error. The Act makes no account for any legitimate reason given for those who 'do not pay' and slaps down a $25,000 fine which is punitive and may make it even more difficult for them to pay continuous child support. And up to 3 years in prison is a sure fire way of depriving the child of further child support payments from the offending parent. If you're the sort of parent who won't pay child support, you won't pay the fine anyway and even if you are imprisoned you won't pay the fine, you won't work and you definitely will not be paying child support.

The impracticality of the legislation is pretty glaring.

I tend to think this legislation should be amended rather than repealed, but in any case I think your criticism here is quite valid. This sort of attention to details that matter is crucial and I strongly endorse your candidacy.
Junkie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2011, 08:23:18 AM »

I  am sorry, but I think the "practical" concerns here do not take into account the role of prosecutors and judges in these matters.  While all are not perfect, I believe those on the ground currently making those decisions are doing a superb job in very tough situations.  Our bill (yeah the name sucks, but who cares) establishes a great framework for the system to remedy very tough matters.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2011, 02:08:45 PM »

I  am sorry, but I think the "practical" concerns here do not take into account the role of prosecutors and judges in these matters.  While all are not perfect, I believe those on the ground currently making those decisions are doing a superb job in very tough situations.  Our bill (yeah the name sucks, but who cares) establishes a great framework for the system to remedy very tough matters.

The way to check if a bill works is to run through a few scenarios.

If a deadbeat dad is faced with a $25,000 fine will he pay it or abscond?

If he absconds will he pay any maintenance if he wants to remain hidden from the authorities?

If he is faced with jail for a maximum of a few years will his child receive any maintenance from him when he is in prison?

The Act has clauses which make an already difficult existance for the child even worse because of the actions of the offending parent.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2011, 05:23:30 PM »

The way to check if a bill works is to run through a few scenarios.

If a deadbeat dad is faced with a $25,000 fine will he pay it or abscond?

If he absconds will he pay any maintenance if he wants to remain hidden from the authorities?

If he is faced with jail for a maximum of a few years will his child receive any maintenance from him when he is in prison?

The Act has clauses which make an already difficult existance for the child even worse because of the actions of the offending parent.

If he has to pay 25k obviously he's done something wrong here, and if he isn't going to pay, he's probably never going to pay, and that needs to be punished. I mean, I'd be open to a bill you could introduce about maximum penalities at one time, but deadbeat parents should not be rewarded at all, it's not fair to the kid or the parent raising the kid.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2011, 06:36:08 PM »

What specific cuts would you make in our current budget and/or tax increases to make up for our current assumed budget shortfall?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2011, 11:57:20 AM »

Voting has opened Smiley

If you want a moderate voice in the Assembly and a member with an eye for detail please consider preferencing me Smiley

Andrew
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2011, 04:41:57 AM »

Thank you kindly to all of you who voted for me Smiley Now when do I get my perks!
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2011, 06:33:57 PM »

Congrats
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2011, 09:28:24 PM »

Congrats on your victory and good luck in the Assembly. 
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2011, 09:30:05 PM »

Congrats on your victory and good luck in the Assembly. 
Junkie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2011, 10:00:42 PM »

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2011, 12:31:08 PM »