The Independent
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 06, 2024, 03:40:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Independent
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: The Independent  (Read 5658 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2011, 08:44:29 PM »

I really enjoy the timeline spotlight. Us "Timeline boi's" gotta stick together. Tongue

Thanks you, but please explain your "Tongue"
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2011, 08:45:43 AM »

Not me. Wink
Junkie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -4.35

« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2011, 10:06:02 PM »

Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2011, 08:57:01 PM »

Volume 1, Issue 3.1

Timeline Spotlight
By Cathcon

Happily Ever After?
By Hcallega

In hcallega's return to the Atlas Forum, he decided to start a timeline on the topic of "What if JFK lived?". While even he admits that the topic is cliché, it does not decrease from the quality of the timeline. Hcallega, has also written "Summer TL: The Presidency of Henry Wallace", "What a Tackle by Rosey Grier: An Alternate History” and various others that can be found on alternatehistory.com.

American Greatness and the Rise of the Romney Dynasty
by Winfield

Winfield, a known lover of Mitt Romney, is writing a timeline depicting a sort of "Rise to Greatness" for the Romney family. It starts in or around the Middle Ages, and continues possibly to present day.  While some might be more than a bit turned off by the subject matter, so far it seems well written.

Gorgeous George and Onward
by Kalwejt

In Kalwejt's continuing timeline about what if John F Kennedy chose George Smathers for the Vice-Presidency, Smathers has won re-nomination to the Presidency. However, on the Republican side in the 1964 Presidential eleciton, nominee Nelson Rockefeller makes the surprise decision of choosing alienated Senator Hubert H Humphrey, by this point a member of the Minnesota Farmer-Labor Party, for Vice-President.

2012: The Craziest Primary Season in American History
by Tmthforu94

While the primary season has yet to begin, and the craziness has yet to unfold, strange things are happening. On the Republican side it may be business as usual, but on the Democratic side, President Obama, after a near fatal shooting, has declined to run for re-election, making the front-runners Hillary Clinton and Mark Warner.

Editor's Note
I was very busy last week, thus the absence of updates.  This paper will hopefully be resuming its regular routine, though I will be making some changes.  The Letters to the Editors section has been removed; they are unnecessary for an online forum.  I am moving the interview section to Sunday, leaving Thursday an off day.  I hoped to have an interview with Ben up last Thursday but he never got back to me.  Hopefully he will have it sent to me by this Sunday.  The following week I will have an interview of either Marokai or Oakvale (whichever of you that wants to do it can PM me).  After that there is no schedule.  As far as the editor's column goes, I don't always have something to say.   I will try and have a Polling Update for you guys everyone Sunday; IMO, that and the Timeline Spotlight are the two most important parts of this newspaper.

The Independent is an Atlasia Publication and an affiliate of the Yelnoc Times Corporation.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2011, 09:29:43 PM »

Updated pagina uno.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2011, 09:52:50 PM »

Volume 1, Issue 3.2

Interview with Benconstine
By Yelnoc

The Independent thanks GTO Ambassador Benconstine for filling out the below interview.

Why are you running for President? - Atlasia is currently broken; it is in a state of inactivity and disrepair.  I am running because I believe the solutions I have offered up give Atlasia the best chance to prosper.

What, specifically, will be your first priority if elected President? - I will introduce several pieces of legislation reforming the positions of SoEA and the GM respectively.  I have already elucidated what those reforms will be in multiple places, and they can be found there.

What do you think of UDL’s ongoing primary? - Goodness.  I honestly don't know what to think of it, but it sure has made this election interesting so far.

If you lose the UDL primary will you continue your bid for the presidency as an independent? - Not likely.

Would you endorse a plan to recruit new members off-site?  If so, how would you change the registration rules to keep from driving them away upon joining the site? - Like I said in the Debate, I don't think recruiting members off-site is a good idea.  As President, I will not be supporting this.

There is a strong possible that China will stop funding our debt despite the adverse effects such a move would have on their economy.  What do you plan on doing to prevent this? - I'm not going to comment because of my role in the GTO, but suffice it to say we are working on a solution.

According to your campaign statement, foreign policy will be a major component of your administration.  Could you outline exactly what your plans regarding foreign policy are and how you plan on increasing the importance of external affairs in Atlasia? - First off, I'll be creating a GM for Foreign Affairs and giving him assistants to create as many stories as possible, and then reacting to those stories.  I feel that by having stories in regular circulation, people will be more interested because the stories exist, and they can comment on them as they develop.

Would you support term limits on senators?  If not, how do you plan on injecting some life into the senate? - I feel like consecutive limits is not a terrible idea, and is something to look into.

What do you think of the 2010 Federal Stimulus Act which is still debating? - I feel like it could have used more funding to education, along with infrastructure spending and tax cuts for the lower class.

The Independent is an Atlasia Publication and an affiliate of the Yelnoc Times Corporation.
[/quote]
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2011, 11:29:08 AM »

Note

I'm out of town until Monday.  Marokai and Oakval; I still want to interview you.  Whoever PM's me first wins.  If no one PM's I feel sad Smiley
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2011, 10:10:39 PM »

If you lose the UDL primary will you continue your bid for the presidency as an independent? - Not likely.

I thought that the answer was "no" earlier. Shame.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2011, 01:04:25 AM »

I thought that the answer was "no" earlier. Shame.

Well the answer was ultimately "no."
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #59 on: January 28, 2011, 07:40:15 PM »

So yeah, about this newspaper thing.  I can't do it anymore.  It's track season.  I might get an update in if something monumental happens.  Otherwise, regular service will probably resume in the summer.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #60 on: February 06, 2011, 10:36:37 PM »
« Edited: February 06, 2011, 10:39:11 PM by Imperial Speaker Yelnoc »

And we're back with B-b-breaking news!  The Packers have won the Super Bowl!  Oh yeah, and there's the little thing below.

Volume 2, Issue 1.1

Suspect in GTO Bombing Detained
By Yelnoc

New York Customs officials detained Colin Hart Nickell, a suspect in the January 25th bombing of Global Treaty Organization headquarters in Nyman.  Nickell was detained after trying to cross the border into Canada; an unnamed source claimed that a "false mustache" became unglued from Nickell's face because of his "profuse sweating."  Spokespersons refuse to confirm or deny the rumor or omment on whether the suspect is speaking with federal investigators.

Nickell, 28 of Alexandria, VA, is a former truck driver for the Department of Interior who disappeared along with his work truck the morning of the GTO bombing. Eyewtinesses state Nickell was driving an ordinary pickup truck rather than a delivery truck of the type reported missing, and there is no word as to whether the missing Interior Department truck has also been located.

Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #61 on: April 07, 2011, 01:23:44 PM »
« Edited: April 07, 2011, 04:34:58 PM by Imperial Speaker Yelnoc »

Volume 3, Issue 1.1

IDS Budget Nears Completion
By Yelnoc

Last February the Imperial Dominion of the South set out on a journey into uncharted waters.  An Odyssey of epic proportions.  A trip into the bowels of our once sloppy, ill-organized government to find... *drum roll* the Budget.  That's right, up until now the South never had a budget; past generations of law makers preferred to close their eyes to confusing numbers and words with more than two syllables and hope things worked out.

Luckily, the IDS was graced with a new Emperor, the ominously named PiT (tremble at his name, ye mortals!).  And so, with some input from the legislature, it was decided.  The budget would be found.  In honor of the occasion, young Yelnoc, a minstrel at PiT's court, wrote the following ditty.

We're off to find the Budget, The Wonderful Budget of Ours
We hear its a bit of a fudge, if ever a budget there was
If ever oh ever a budget there was, The Southern Budget is one because
Because, because, because, because, because
Because of the wonderful things it does
We're off to find the Budget, The Wonderful Budget of Ours

And so off they went, PiT upon his invisible stallion of doom, Yelnoc singing songs of courage, tb75 playing the flute (because why not?) and GPORTER and ChairmanSanchez alternating with the luggage.

T'was a hard trek through the mounds of misplaced papers and drunkenly composed initiatives.  But Brave Sir PiT made quick work of the mess; he smote the dragon and left the wiki quivering in his wake.  GPORTER was slain but a young man named ChairmanSanchez found to carry the Imperial baggage.

Great battles had been won but the war continued.  The valiant company consulted with God, for who better than to ask about the budget?  He, incarnated as a badger or the figure in the below painting (depending on who you ask), gave great advice.

On such good words, the party continued on to a bridge.  A rickety old bridge across a narrow, deep, foggy channel.  On the other side lay budgetopia and happiness and other stuff.  At least, that was the general consensus though no one could see through the fogg.  But, the bridge of death was guarded by a bridgekeeper.  A foul man as old as his bridge who would let no one pass without first answering his three questions of doom!  And so Brave Sir PiT stepped out to face him.

Keeper: "Stop!  Who would cross the Bridge of Death must answer me these questions three, 'ere the other side he see."
PiT: "Ask me the questions, bridge-keeper.  I'm not afraid."
Keeper: "What is your name?"
PiT: "It is PiT, Emperor of the South."
Keeper: "What is your quest?"
PiT: "To find the Holy Budget."
Keeper: "What is the tax structure of your region?"

At this point, Yelnoc used the Holy Hand Remote of Puerto Rico, a gift from Brother Taft and the Monks (pictured below) to temporarily freeze time so that they could answer the question.  This is still in progress but we at The Independent will keep you updated on its progress and the conclusion of this most holy quest.

Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #62 on: April 07, 2011, 03:37:35 PM »

Cheesy
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #63 on: April 14, 2011, 02:06:10 PM »
« Edited: April 15, 2011, 04:10:45 PM by Imperial Speaker Yelnoc »

Volume 3, Issue 2.1

Southeast Region Senate Race Poll
By Yelnoc

Last week, Bacon King expressed interest in running for the senate or a regional office.  This prompted me to run a poll matching him to North Carolina Yankee.  As soon as the poll was launched, he assured us that he would not challenge Yankee but run for an at-large seat if he chose to seek another spot on the senate.  Still, the results of the poll are interesting, if rather useless.

North Carolina Yankee       5 (41.7%)
Bacon King       3 (25%)
Not an IDS citizen but I like to vote in polls       4 (33.3%)

Editors Note: Track season is over, this will be updated somewhat more frequently.

Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #64 on: April 15, 2011, 07:41:05 PM »
« Edited: April 17, 2011, 05:50:20 PM by Imperial Speaker Yelnoc »

Volume 3, Issue 2.2

Presidential Interview
By Yelnoc

The Independent recently had the pleasure of interviewing President Tmthforu94.  The transcript can be found below.  Click here for the video.

The Libyan Civil War began last February yet even now in the Middle of March nothing has been done by the government of Atlasia.  Why has the response been so slow and what is the government doing now in regards to this issue?
Quickly after the UN announced a no-fly zone, the Atlasian government responded with support. After long talks with SoEA Benconstine and GM Badger, as well as other advisors, we came to the conclusion to send the CIA to Libya to help train and guide the rebels. Colonel Gaddafi will also now be considered a bombing target.

Is the Do Not PM list useful legislation or an overly bueacratic attempt at avoiding the deregistration issue?
It has the potential to be useful. I’m not quite sure yet whether or not it will be, but I am willing to give it a chance. As I’ve stated previously, I am a supporter of de-registration and I believe that would be the better solution, though.

The UDL seems to be falling apart.  High profile members have resigned and others are calling for the party's disbandment.  Do you have any comments?
The main problem with the UDL is it didn’t really have a strong message, and was just considered “The leftist party not controlled as Bgwah.” If there was actually an attempt to create it into a centrist party, it failed miserably.

What do you think is your greatest accomplishment so far?
Certainly the GM Reform Bill. This piece of legislation made the GM position not nearly as difficult, and also brought about some relevance to the SoEA and SoIA position by putting them in charge of regional and foreign affairs. Hopefully once we can get an active and committed SoIA, their reports will give a little more for regional governments to work with.

What do you still want to accomplish in your presidency?
The economy, certainly. We need to cut spending, and I’d like to be able to reduce the deficit by as much as we possibly can. We’re already on that by fixing a mistake made in the past of funding wars we weren’t even in.

In a nutshell, where are we now and where do we go from here?
Right now, we’re putting through some reforms that should improve how this game will be run. While not all of the changes will have an immediate impact, my hope is that months from now, Atlasians will look back on the Tmth Administration and be appreciative for the work we did, both in public and behind the scenes.

Finally, will you run for reelection?
An announcement on whether or not I’ll be seeking reelection will likely be made in late April-early May.

Editor's Note: Sorry about the title Tongue

Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #65 on: April 17, 2011, 06:16:37 PM »

Volume 3, Issue 3.1

IDS Regional Government Officials Poll Results
By Yelnoc

Since all the other regions were doing it, we Empire-centrics decided "why not?"  Only six people vote in the poll and only five of the six (presumably) cast an approve or disapprove vote for all candidates, so take this with a rather large grain of salt.  Emperor PiT, Imperial Speaker Yelnoc, and Judicial Overlord John Dibble all received unanimous approval.  Everyone has positive approvals though BrandonH is straying into negative territory.  A little more activity would probably boost him.

Emperor PiT       
Approve 100%
Disapprove 0%

Viceroy Taft       
Approve 80%
Disapprove 20%

Imperial Speaker Yelnoc       
Approve 100%
Disapprove 0%

Darth tb75       
Approve 83%
Disapprove 17%

Darth Sanchez   
Approve 67%
Disapprove 23%

Attorney General BrandonH       
Approve 60%
Disapprove 40%

Judicial Overlord John Dibble       
Approve 100%
Disapprove 0%

Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #66 on: April 18, 2011, 12:45:29 PM »

Volume 3, Issue 3.2

Interview with Polnut
By Yelnoc

The Independent recently had the pleasure of interviewing former Northeast Speaker Polnut.  The transcript can be found below.

Do you support the petition to remove Governor Ghost White?
Absolutely. I had the feeling, based on what I knew from the Governor's previous roles, that he would not be an active governor. That region has needed a real chance at reform, and a key in this is an active governor who is engaged in the debate. That prediction has unfortunately come to pass, and hopefully the people of the Northeast, regardless of their party affiliation will realise that change needs to come, and removing this Governor is vital.

Do you have any other comments on the Northeast succession crisis?
Part of my platform during the Gubernatorial election in February was a program of constitutional reform. One of which was the phasing out of the Lt. Governor position and replacing that position in the line of succession with the Speaker.

There would have been provisions for the Speaker to act after a period of unannounced absence and for the creation of a Deputy Speaker in the Assembly, who could not be a member of the same political party.

I know the Senator Kal had brought this up, and Representative Napoleon in the Assembly presented legislation towards the end of the current session to bring this into effect. It must happen. The biggest region in the country has a relatively active Assembly, but no CJO, no Lt Governor and virtually no Governor - there needs to a safety net and a clear line of succession to ensure this doesn't happen again.

Could you give us a preview of what your aspirations might be upon the return from your break in early May?
I have been in discussions with many people about my future plans. I believe that I have a lot to offer the Atlasian people. The economy is in an extremely vulnerable position, we're losing jobs still, no developed Western economy is losing jobs at this rate. And that's just one element that needs to be addressed, the GM reform was desperately needed and I congratulate the Administration on getting that done - but these are not tiered issues, each deserves equal attention, and I don't think they have.

I need to continue in my discussions and I will be in a better position shortly to make an announcement in relation to specific future plans.

What do you think of President Tmthforu94's recent appointment of AndrewCT as the new Attorney General and myself as Secretary of Internal Affairs?
I think they're great choices, those are important Cabinet posts that require a great deal of dedication along with care and concern. I have no doubt that you'll both do a great job for the remainder of the term.

Does the UDL have a future or is it headed for collapse?
I joined the UDL because I hoped it would be a fresh voice in Atlasian progressive politics. I joined the JCP after returning to Atlasia early last year. But I had very little involvement within the internal structure of that party. So my joining was not based on a direct issue with the JCP leadership.

I worked really had, as did many others in the initial leadership group. I was the first Chairman and the second President of the UDL, so I certainly wanted it to achieve.

I started to feel that the UDL needed to be prodded or prompted to do anything, as Chair that was a draining exercise. Hence why I didn't consider contesting the position for a second term.

The fights within the UDL that started during the presidential primary opened up some pretty wide chasms. I thought, as the party seemed to pull together after those fights, it might settle down to be a voice for real progressive change, but a malaise settled over the party.

I needed to make a decision as where I stood, I determined that I wasn't happy with the progress of the party and I needed to leave.

The UDL has some great and imaginative people within it, some of the best minds this country has, and I hope they can make it work. But whether that happens is up to the membership.

Assuming the UDL does fall apart, would you support the formation of a new party or prefer Atlasian politics revert to its old triumvirate status?
I think the political battlefield of Atlasia is littered with the corpses of left-wing parties. I don't necessarily support creating a new party, but if there is a real desire to develop a platform that separates itself from other parties I think the development of new ideas is vital... but I have no idea what the long-term trajectory of things are.

I do favour unity in my side of politics, but whether that's organised or not is not really my place to say.

Let's take a break from politics for a moment and talk about you.  In your office thread you stated you had been diagnosed with a real life medical problem back in January.  You don't have to offer any details if you don't want to but I am sure we would all like to know how you're doing.
Thank you for you concern, and I noted your good wishes.

Yes, I had not been feeling well for a little while and was diagnosed with a medical problem in January. Thankfully after a lot of rest and taking care of myself I think the worst is over with and the recovery is well under-way.

Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #67 on: April 21, 2011, 08:35:20 PM »

Volume 3, Issue 3.3

April 2011 At-Large Senate Endorsements
By Yelnoc

Voting commenced earlier today but, as they say, better late then never!  Below are the Independents endorsements, preferenced of course, with a note as to why they received the slot they did.  Comments, civil debate, and bar room brawls about the order are all more than welcome Wink

1) Antonio V- has a record of proposing and working on big legislation (Social Security Reform) and a track record of dedication in office.
2) Snowguy716- another senator that has sponsored and but effort into serious legislation.  Unfortunately, Snowy missed several votes in the last session (perfectly understandable, we all have a real life, but it was enough to cost the first slot)
3) shua- The one bill he sponsored in the last session I disagreed with.  But, shua is a fairly active Senator who usually has something useful to say in a debate.
4) Senator Duke- Also occasionally has something to say in a debate.  Not an amendments guy either; I considered putting True Fed above him because of how long he has been in the Senate but in the end decided to give Duke one more try.
5) True Federalist- He hasn't been very active lately anywhere on the board lately (which means he's probably having real-life issues which is a pass) but his prior platform wasn't too bad.  I put him above Oakvale on the principle of change.
6) Oakvale- He shows up to vote but not much else.  I thought we could give someone else a try.
7) Teddy- I wasn't sure if he was serious about...anything.  So bottom slot.  Sorry Teddy.

Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #68 on: April 21, 2011, 08:55:51 PM »

Volume 3, Issue 3.3

By Yelnoc

Voting commenced earlier today but, as they say, better late then never!  Below are the Independents endorsements, preferenced of course, with a note as to why they received the slot they did.  Comments, civil debate, and bar room brawls about the order are all more than welcome Wink

1) Antonio V- has a record of proposing and working on big legislation (Social Security Reform) and a track record of dedication in office.
2) Snowguy716- another senator that has sponsored and but effort into serious legislation.  Unfortunately, Snowy missed several votes in the last session (perfectly understandable, we all have a real life, but it was enough to cost the first slot)
3) shua- The one bill he sponsored in the last session I disagreed with.  But, shua is a fairly active Senator who usually has something useful to say in a debate.
4) Senator Duke- Also occasionally has something to say in a debate.  Not an amendments guy either; I considered putting True Fed above him because of how long he has been in the Senate but in the end decided to give Duke one more try.
5) True Federalist- He hasn't been very active lately anywhere on the board lately (which means he's probably having real-life issues which is a pass) but his prior platform wasn't too bad.  I put him above Oakvale on the principle of change.
6) Oakvale- He shows up to vote but not much else.  I thought we could give someone else a try.
7) Teddy- I wasn't sure if he was serious about...anything.  So bottom slot.  Sorry Teddy.

Yep, that's a fair cop. I've been quite busy in real life, somewhat unexpectedy. I was thinking I couldn't run for a full term, but things should (hopefully!) quieten down in a couple of weeks, and I'll be able to make more of a contribution.

That said, if people don't think that's good enough that's understandable - I've not been as able to join the debate as I'd like. It's funny, you can see a sudden drop-off in my Senate activity after about a week in office. Tongue That's due to real world stuff, but rest assured to all my voters that I'm hoping/predicting a less hectic situation soon...
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #69 on: April 21, 2011, 09:34:03 PM »

Volume 3, Issue 3.3

By Yelnoc

Yep, that's a fair cop. I've been quite busy in real life, somewhat unexpectedy. I was thinking I couldn't run for a full term, but things should (hopefully!) quieten down in a couple of weeks, and I'll be able to make more of a contribution.

That said, if people don't think that's good enough that's understandable - I've not been as able to join the debate as I'd like. It's funny, you can see a sudden drop-off in my Senate activity after about a week in office. Tongue That's due to real world stuff, but rest assured to all my voters that I'm hoping/predicting a less hectic situation soon...
You're a cool guy and I understand we all have real world come up (which takes presidence (sp?) over this fantasy site).  I hated bumping people down for inactivity but there isn't much other criteria to judge by.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #70 on: April 22, 2011, 12:21:56 AM »
« Edited: April 22, 2011, 12:33:24 AM by senator shua »

cool. thanks for the #3 endorsement.  Though we disagree on a number of things I value your input.  Good luck to the editor in his new role (I'm predicting) as SoIA!
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #71 on: April 22, 2011, 07:21:44 AM »

Volume 3, Issue 3.3

By Yelnoc

You're a cool guy and I understand we all have real world come up (which takes presidence (sp?) over this fantasy site).  I hated bumping people down for inactivity but there isn't much other criteria to judge by.

Oh no, I agree completely. If I wasn't, uh, myself I'd probably have voted more or less the same way. Tongue
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

« Reply #72 on: April 22, 2011, 07:28:26 AM »

I just noticed this.

I have the ability to be serious when I wish to be (IE when I was SoFE) and I will be serious if elected to the Senate.

When I threw my hat into the ring it was not a race I expected to win, however now that it looks possible that I can indeed win, I do intend to fight for victory. If I do win, and I hope I do, I plan to serve to the best of my abilities, and do all of the things outlined in the banner in my sig below.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #73 on: April 22, 2011, 04:30:58 PM »
« Edited: April 22, 2011, 06:08:38 PM by Imperial Speaker Yelnoc »

Volume 3, Issue 3.4

Embroglio in the Northeast
By Yelnoc

The Northeast is locked in a rather confusing crisis.  Governor Ghost_white, who defeated Polnut in the most recent gubernatorial election on nothing other than the strength of the Populares in the region, has proven to be a rather inactive governor.  So inactive, that the legislative assembly took the first steps towards recalling him earlier this month.  

At the forefront of the recall movement is Jake Matthews, former Speaker of the Assembly and current Acting Governor who makes no attempts to hide his aspiration of sitting in Ghost_white’s office.  Jake led the petition to remove the governor, a document that is required under Recall Amendment to move forward with the recall.  This went without a hitch; it was the actual voting process that would prove daunting.

The Northeast Executive Branch was in dire straits prior to the recall movement.  No Chief Judicial Officer was appointed by Governor Ghost_white; according to the wiki, there has not been a CJO since FallenMorgan appointed Mr. Moderate on May 6, 2010.  This is a vital piece of the situation that has been overlooked up until now.  The CJO is the only official authorized to open any voting booth under Article 4, Section 4 of the Northeast Constitution.  The Recall Amendment specifies that the Lieutenant Governor may open a recall booth only in the event that the CJO is being recalled; in all other cases the CJO must open the booth.

Acting Lt. Governor Jake Matthews opened the first illegal recall booth on April 19, 2011 when he created a booth for a recall election despite the fact that Governor Ghost_white had not yet been recalled.  He opened the second illegal booth forty-five minutes later.  Artcile 4, Section 15 of the Northeast Constitution, which establishes the Chain of Command, puts the “longest serving member of the Northeast” next in line.  This is the only person in the Northeast Constitutionally eligible to open a voting booth.  From what I can determine, RowanBrandon is this person.

So, from my reading of the constitution, Ghost_white’s recall was invalid.  But wait, there’s more!  As cinyc recently pointed out, the whole Recall Amendment was never valid to begin with!  Back in October 2007 when the amendment passed, a majority of registered northeast citizens (17) did not vote.  Thus, this entire exercise has been invalid twice over!  Cinyc has stated that he will sue if the unconstitutional recall movement continues.

For the recallists, there is still hope.  Under the Northeast Constitution, Ghost_white could be impeached by a two-thirds vote of the Assembly.  Ironically, the assembly does not have a track record of two-thirds coming out to vote on anything.  It is likely that Ghost_white will be able to serve at his entire term, after which he has stated he will run for reelection against fellow Populare Jake Matthews and non-Northeast citizen Giovanni.  These are certainly interesting times for the Northeast.

Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #74 on: April 22, 2011, 04:48:37 PM »
« Edited: April 22, 2011, 04:53:55 PM by Speaker Napoleon »

Joy! Factual errors galore!

All four Northeasterners in the Assembly have been active. Five when Jake was with us.

We all knew there was no CJO. Governors and Lieutenant Governors can open the Booth.

FallenMorgan isn't in the Assembly so longest serving in what?

I will give Ghostwhite a few days before deciding on impeachment. I know that the Assembly would probably vote to impeach (except wormy).
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies